Fire drink?

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Fire drink?

Post by GlytchMeister »

Question:
I know next to nothing about alcoholic beverages. So, for reasons very closely related to a certain fanfic, I would like to open up the floor to ideas for mixes or straight beverages that... Uh, I guess one would expect a being who's main powers are all pretty much fire/heat/energy based.
Fireball whiskey comes to mind, but I only know about that stuff because it's constantly mentioned on Texts From Last Night.
Bonus points if they can be served while actually on fire, but not absolutely necessary.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Dave »

High alcohol content would seem to be appropriate. The ultimate would be Everclear, which had only a few percent of water remaining. Or, go with lab-grade ethanol, which has been chemically dehydrated (it has traces of acids in it from the dehydrating process). Humans should not consume either of these without diluting them with water... pure ethanol can cause chemical burns to the mouth and throat!

For high-proof beverages, some varieties of Chinese baijiu ("white liquor") are of rather stunning potency. Moutai is sometimes rumored to have been discovered as a liquid runoff from barrels holding gunpowder. Gaoliang has been described as "the finest paint remover and the worst wine in the world" (it's fermented from sorghum, distilled, and has a "sauce fragrance" that to westerners can taste a bit like essence of barnyard). Luzhou Laojiao is interesting stuff... potent, fermented from grains in big underground caves, and you'd swear it had peaches in its ancestry. All of these are better than 100 proof and would burn as well as a strong brandy, I imagine.

Ouzo is often served aflame, and is used when making saganaki (flaming cheese).

Dave

Post by Dave »

Then, of course, there's the Hard Stuff, suitable only for true fire-and-energy beings. Mixed drinks using tritium-water, neutron-activated olives and maraschino cherries, margaritas where the "salt" is potassium chloride made from pure potassium-40, and so forth.

For the ultimate... well, just remember what Scottie said: "Captain, ye canna mix matter and anti-matter cold!". So, steam the milk, and use the antiprotons when they're fresh out of the particle accelerator and still have all that great kinetic energy keeping them hot!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Everclear, 99anything series...moonshine and cherries for low class, no taste options...in a desperation moce, I clean my paintbrushes with it.

For those of refinement and deep pockets:

Rumple Minze(Peppermint schnapps)
Abelour A'bunadh single malt,
Bruichladdich X4 single malt,
Booker's Bourbon,
Spirytus Delikatesowy(This Polish Vodka not for faint of heart, clocking in a 192 proof).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
With the exception of the 99series of alcohols(99bananas, 99cherries, etcetera,)they are all individual names of drinks.
Dear God! If you put a shot of each of those in a glass, you'd frag youself. Starting with the Rumple Minze, it goes from 100 proof to an insane 192 proof. I tried that Polish vodka exactly once...it took years to use it up. I'd put a teaspoon of it in a pitcher drink that called for a jigger of it..it's the physical representation of fire water...only it's deceptively smooth. Once it hits your system, it's goodnight Gracie!

For a fire based creature, and only for fictitious purposes, I theoretically could create a drink for them. In reality, even a hardcore alkie, or extremely high tolerant like myself would instinctively cut that drink with two pitchers of some sort of juice or sparkling water due to self preservation...this coming from someone who two decades ago drank half a bottle of EC, half of 99Bananas, half of fire and ice 101, and chased it with Black Russians...done in a single night, also while consuming about four pizzas, and a bag of shrimp chips...oh yeah, and I fragged anybody that dared to challenge me in Goldeneye. The first and last time I got drunk. Took me the entire three day weekend to sober up. The scary part was, until someone handed me a shot of Ouzo, I was clearminded, and had the appearance of sober, including walking and hand-eye coordination. I was sketching almost all night between drinks and eats and games...until...Liquorice root and I are not friends, so it completely wrecked me.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
That loud "Aaugh! Yuck! Blasphemy!!" was probably from DinkyInky. :lol:

I'm not sure that the fabric of space-time would allow the combination of a fine single-malt, and peppermint schnapps in a single glass. Why, the very structure of reality itself would rebel!

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

To clarify some of my strangeness, and because I'm missing my family...

My parents believed in not hiding alcohol from us. From the age of about six, we'd get a thimbleful of light spirits for the holidays, and as teen years approached, anything we wanted to try came with a huge tome of sensible rules. Here's the highlights:

1. Don't brag that you were drinking.
2. You are not leaving the house.
3. If you have a license and drink so much
as a thimbleful of a wine cooler, your
butt stays home all day.
4. You have to save up for anything you want, but I will
price check them for you, make a list.
4. Did I mention not telling friends?
5. You are not 21. Don't get caught outside
drunk or even wobbly.
6.Oh, and if you get caught, I will own you
for life, or until I get bail repaid.
7. Should you be 21, and under my roof,
the same rules apply.
8. Any and all friends must follow house rules, or have
a signed letter from parents that they know their kids
are here, and drinking will be done, and pick 'em up
later.

Happy drinking!

#4 was fun, because as a teen, I really wanted my Mother to try things out of her comfort zone, so I was always spending my petty cash on something fun.

Her favourite was a seven seven tall--Seagram's 7 over 7up. Still is. But now, instead of only drinking that, she drinks light fun schnapps as a nightcap if she wants one, when going out with my stepdad, she talks to the bartenders and finds out if she can buy sample shots of mixed drinks she wants to try, and notes if she liked it. When I became a bartender, she'd call me up if she wanted to try things not in public, and we'd split on costs of spirits, and I'd mix them up. We're not close...at all, but it's one of my fond memories.
My Father was an Army MASH unit vet from Korea during Vietnam conflict. He's nerdy, soft-spoken, and used to drink hard. My parents split before I became a bartender, so he got to experience it while my son and I visited. Before that time, we'd have Beam's and pop, and talk about the military(the only time he ever spoke about it). These days it's mostly cheap beer, and his one hard drink. These days it's light in comparison...a Long Island Iced Tea(which amusingly enough, has no tea in it)...a far cry from his former fave, Chivas Royal Salute with a splash of soda.

I'm the worst as far as how much I drank in my youth, and I can proudly say that despite the Police constantly harrassing me at night due to night shift getting done after midnight, double when I was a bartender, I never failed the drunk tests...because I kept my happy butt home or got a ride home when drinking, and never drank on the job unless I had transport.

My siblings never got into trouble either.

I do let my son sip anything he is interested in, with the same tome of rules. He usually says, "Yeah, it still tastes like fire. Brushing teeth and going to my room now." Call me crazy, but it worked well so far.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:That loud "Aaugh! Yuck! Blasphemy!!" was probably from DinkyInky. :lol:

I'm not sure that the fabric of space-time would allow the combination of a fine single-malt, and peppermint schnapps in a single glass. Why, the very structure of reality itself would rebel!
ROFLMAO

Yea verily!

I love Single Malt. One year, on Mother's Day, a dear friend got me a thirtysomething year old bottle of Glenfiddich. So very, very silky smooth.
I sadly just finished that bottle.
It's just incredible. Of all the nerdy things, The Highlander series got me into trying it in the first place, and it was one of the few hard liquors I tried where my first sip did not make me splutter...it also helps that said bottle cost me $150. Many times I've seen fine bottles of single malt, commented on it, and found myself invited to a tasting. There is nothing so fine as elegant food, grand friends, and the world's most perfect selection of single malts all laid out for comparison.

Sláinte !

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dinky;

My Father (now passed on) related his Father 'Drank Himself to Death'.

All my life Pops had a glass of wine w/ dinner every night and a can of beer every lunch and he says he never got drunk, ever,
Except for the one time he and a friend went out after Pops, then a young man/old teenager, got his heart broken.

Seven Martinis, in quick succession, (ain't best buds Grand?) and the resulting and inevitable Star Barf.... Never got drunk again.

Anyway, one day while he has eating some kind of cheese and whole wheat crackers and proto-health food in the early Seventies I asked him if I could get a taste of his beer.

The siblings all ooh'd and ahh'd but he said "sure..." and I took into my mouth as much as my cheeks could hold.

Now I was stuck with it.

Didn't spit out a drop, but dam'n if that didn't hold me for another decade or more...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:For a fire based creature, and only for fictitious purposes, I theoretically could create a drink for them.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Something dangerous, hot, high proof, and expensive. Money is no object.
Also: Geneva Convention, Schweneva Shmovention. :twisted: Using something involving Piranha (sulfuric acid and H2O2) or O2F2 (also known as Satan's Kimchi) would just make it better for the story.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:For a fire based creature, and only for fictitious purposes, I theoretically could create a drink for them.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Something dangerous, hot, high proof, and expensive. Money is no object.
Also: Geneva Convention, Schweneva Shmovention. :twisted: Using something involving Piranha (sulfuric acid and H2O2) or O2F2 (also known as Satan's Kimchi) would just make it better for the story.
Pick a flavour. I remember the flavours vividly enough I can make one from most higher proofage. Barring delicate drinks like the Vesper(delicate due to the Lillet wine), I probably can mix an explosively high proof version. Find a drink that sounds like your character, or pick a sentence that describes them.

Oh, and just an FYI, kimchi itself is alcoholic the longer it ferments. If you don't boil older kimchi long enough, it is treated by your body as alcohol. I had a job interview, the HR person was an {insert expletives here}, and I failed a breathalyzer because the kimchi registered...less than legal limits, but still it showed. She denied me, despite telling me my "stinky Korean garbage chow" was the cause, and technically exempt, but my "particular skill set" was not needed. When asked for clarification, she smirked.

I hung her out to dry with her own QC team. When offered the job (business sec/admin)later, I turned it down.
I really hate prejudice, and hate that this woman for years set the company she worked for to selectively hire only people of the fairest of hues. No "slant eyes allowed", without saying so. How the higher ups failed to notice it is beyond me.
Anyway, that's how I found out about drunk kimchi.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hmm.
Well, the mixture is something Gibil, the Sumerian god of fire, forces down John's (a human-turned-fire-controller) throat while unconscious to:
A) Keep his sorry ass from dying after over-exerting his power
B) Wake his wimpy ass up
And C) Taste like Hell, distilled and made into liquid.

So... A liquid, flaming kick in the pants.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hmmmm... a DinkyInky-grade habanero shot? Savina peppers are even hotter... combine one of these with some of that high-proof liqueur, and you'd have a hypergolic beverage fit to awaken a god and then set his tail on fire!

Grind in a couple of No-Doz if'n you want to be especially sadistic :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:I hung her out to dry with her own QC team. When offered the job (business sec/admin)later, I turned it down.
I really hate prejudice, and hate that this woman for years set the company she worked for to selectively hire only people of the fairest of hues. No "slant eyes allowed", without saying so. How the higher ups failed to notice it is beyond me.
Nicely done... I hope the backlash cost her plenty.

Unfortunately there are still a whole lotta people who are afraid of anyone they see as "not just like me"... fear leads to hatred (obvious or subtle) and to contempt and avoidance and segregation. We're a very tribal species.. moving into cities hasn't changed that. You were from outside her tribe, and therefore (by the old rules) necessarily not quite "real people" to her.

It sucks, and it's something we must each struggle against within ourselves.

Keep fighting the good fight, DinkyInky!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hmm.
Well, the mixture is something Gibil, the Sumerian god of fire, forces down John's (a human-turned-fire-controller) throat while unconscious to:
B) Wake his wimpy ass up

I got it.

Everclear that has goldenseal pickling in it.
Everclear thas has Korean ginseng pickling in it.
Bacardi 151 that has bitter orange peel pickling in it.
Spirytus that has Angelicus pickling in it.
99 Cherries that has ginger root pickling in it.
99 Bananas that has horehound pickling in it.
Ouzo for a splash of mean spiritedness(I hope he's not one of the few who like liquorice).

One ounce each in nice corrosion proof flask(good luck with that).

This is not nice, but bitter herbs have healing properties. I use a few of these for medicine.

Edit: I took pity on him and didn't give him any of my thai fire, Korean cayenne, scotch bonnet, habenero, ghost pepper blend pickled in Matusalem dry white rum(used normally for cooking).

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Spirytus that has Angelicus pickling in it.
Now, that combination is sheer poetry in potion. :lol: :D
Edit: I took pity on him and didn't give him any of my thai fire, Korean cayenne, scotch bonnet, habenero, ghost pepper blend pickled in Matusalem dry white rum(used normally for cooking).
Oh my! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I assume that you measure that out during cooking, with a very small pipette?

(I'd love to try a drop or so of that, someday, with the right supporting ingredients. Hmmm... stir-fried long beans with garlic, sesame oil, and DinkyInky's own? or maybe with black bean sauce?)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Hmm.
B) Wake his wimpy ass up

I got it.

Everclear that has goldenseal pickling in it.
Everclear thas has Korean ginseng pickling in it.
Bacardi 151 that has bitter orange peel pickling in it.
Spirytus that has Angelicus pickling in it.
99 Cherries that has ginger root pickling in it.
99 Bananas that has horehound pickling in it.
Ouzo for a splash of mean spiritedness(I hope he's not one of the few who like liquorice).

One ounce each in nice corrosion proof flask(good luck with that).

This is not nice, but bitter herbs have healing properties. I use a few of these for medicine.

Do you mind if I name it? Gibil's Scorn.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

It's designed for your toon, which is why I did not do so. Should he forget the lesson, or get used to that one in the future, toss in the fire water(pepper alcohol).

Remember, for us normals, that is a guaranteed trip to either the E.R., the graybar motel(if you're not unconscious, I guarantee some rampant stupidity, or gibbering like a madman), or the slab...in otherwords, don't try this at home kids. For a normal to drink it, it needs a half a jigger of it in a pitcher of soda water...and it's still prolly at least 90 proof.

--Safyr Drathmir
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Pick out 3 mini bottles of fruit flavored rums that go well together, pour into blender. Add half a bag of frozen mixed berries. Destem and core 1 to 3 (based on size) spicy peppers of your choosing (I use a naga jolokia and a habenero). Toss in the pepper(s) in the blender. Add 1shot glass of lemon juice. Fill with ice. Add additional rum or water as needed. Puré until well blended. Pour inro glasses and enjoy.

It's sweet at first, then the spiciness kicks in. Hence the name Sweet Fire.
I suppose the appropriateness of the drink depends on the character's personality.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."