It tastes like a creamsicle!

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

mariotunic

It tastes like a creamsicle!

Post by mariotunic »

Has anyone had a screwdriver with vanilla vodka? It tastes great. Although I have only recently been referring to it as a creamsicle since I read it in GWS, it is a sweet drink nonetheless.

Screwdriver =

orange juice
vodka
Friendship. Trust. Desire. Hatred. You are all FLAWED. You carry TOO many unnecessary burdens. Only. One. Thing. Absolute devotion to him should be ALL you need. IF YOU CANNOT BE A PAWN, THEN YOU DIE HERE, TOO!
starkruzr

Re: It tastes like a creamsicle!

Post by starkruzr »

Delicious, but I'm more of a beer or Scotch man :)
TheOKTVSet

Post by TheOKTVSet »

I've never been able to wrap my head around vodka. It tastes like rubbing alcohol, I swear.

Granted, that could just be the memories of a third of warm vodka mixed with half a bottle of cider.
You come all this way out saying squat and now you're trying to tell me that a '56 Chevy could beat a '48 Buick in a dead quarter mile? I liked you better when you weren't saying squat kid. Go to bed.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Does not sound good.

Drank enough screwdrivers my first weekend in college to last me several lifetimes, and have not had another since.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
mariotunic

Post by mariotunic »

The first time I tried it (vodka) was straight up. Ugh, man! It tasted like Windel. Like not even Windex, but its cheaper hillbilly cousin.

I'm terrible with beer, so I mostly have to stick to girly drinks. The bartender joked that I'm like a 17 girl just starting to drink.
Last edited by mariotunic on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friendship. Trust. Desire. Hatred. You are all FLAWED. You carry TOO many unnecessary burdens. Only. One. Thing. Absolute devotion to him should be ALL you need. IF YOU CANNOT BE A PAWN, THEN YOU DIE HERE, TOO!
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

i'm too young to drink where i live, i've sipped here and there though of course, my favorite was a black berry wine out of Israel that my parents were drinking a few years ago. it was very sweet, and if it wasn't for the feeling that i had just took a swig of mouthwash I'd have never guessed it was the slightest bit alcoholic.

i've also sampled light beer (gross), sam adams ocober fest (best as of yet), and sam adams summer ale (alright). though when i finally get old enough i think I'm going to get wasted so i know what not to do, then I'm going to buy some sipping whiskey for when the winter gets cold and the summer gets hot.

i've been told by my sister that vodka tastes like gasoline, knowing what gasoline tasting like of course being possible because me and both of my siblings have started a gas siphon with our mouths at some point in our childhood. the idea of that and orange juice doesn't seem very pleasant.
Julie

Post by Julie »

waldosan wrote:i've been told by my sister that vodka tastes like gasoline, knowing what gasoline tasting like of course being possible because me and both of my siblings have started a gas siphon with our mouths at some point in our childhood. the idea of that and orange juice doesn't seem very pleasant.
While I don't dispute the horrible tales of vodka, as far as liquor goes, it's one of the ones with the least amount of flavor IMO. If you buy a higher quality one, then it doesn't have some of the unpleasant burning and other side effects that cheap stuff can have...and then it's an excellent mixer precisely because it has so little flavor. :)

I'd bet that the vanilla vodka/orange juice combo does taste a bit like a dreamsicle. Then again, I think that Sailor Jerry with orange juice has some similar qualities to dreamsicle flavor as well (since Sailor Jerry has a slight hint of vanilla in its flavor profile)...and I much prefer rum to vodka. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

mariotunic wrote:The first time I tried it was straight up. Ugh, man! It tasted like Windel. Like not even Windex, but it's cheaper hillbilly cousin.

I'm terrible with beer, so I mostly have to stick to girly drinks. The bartender joked that I'm like a 17 girl just starting to drink.
Windel? Ah, Windex. :D (Windel is german for "Diaper" :D)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:While I don't dispute the horrible tales of vodka, as far as liquor goes, it's one of the ones with the least amount of flavor IMO. If you buy a higher quality one, then it doesn't have some of the unpleasant burning and other side effects that cheap stuff can have...and then it's an excellent mixer precisely because it has so little flavor. :)
I've seen mention of someone experimenting with running some of the cheap vodka (with the nasty taste and after-burn) through an activated-charcoal water filter (a Brita). According to the blog, after several passes through the filter the cheap stuff lost the bad flavor, odor, and harshness, and became much smoother and more pleasant. Several taste-testers preferred it to the expensive, high-quality premium vodkas.

So, this may be one way to get the equivalent of top-notch "neutral grain spirits" - just filter out the nasty fusel alcohols/oils and other byproducts of a poor fermentation (or poor starting materials).

If you want "nasty", consider kaoliang (a variety of "baiju", or Chinese "white spirit"). It's made mostly from sorghum. Master Li Kao referred to it as "The best paint remover, and the worst wine in the world." (I presume "wine" being a term for any fermented alcoholic beverage).
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

i think myth busters tested that didn't they? according to them the difference was there but could only really be determined by a professional vodka taste tester. i'm sure if you wanted to spend a lot of money on filters you could do it more than ten times, and probably get a very smooth vodka but i don't see where the benefits makes it worth it.
mariotunic

Post by mariotunic »

Julie wrote: I'd bet that the vanilla vodka/orange juice combo does taste a bit like a dreamsicle. Then again, I think that Sailor Jerry with orange juice has some similar qualities to dreamsicle flavor as well (since Sailor Jerry has a slight hint of vanilla in its flavor profile)...and I much prefer rum to vodka. :)
Sailor Jerry with orange juice - I will keep that in mind!
Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
mariotunic wrote:The first time I tried it was straight up. Ugh, man! It tasted like Windel. Like not even Windex, but it's cheaper hillbilly cousin.

Haha! Oh man, I can't imagine. 'Dude, try this screwdriver, it tastes JUST like a diaper soaked in orange juice!' -shudder-
Julie

Post by Julie »

mariotunic wrote:Sailor Jerry with orange juice - I will keep that in mind!
:) My husband will sometimes get creative with his mixers when we run out and are too intoxicated to make a run to the store for more. We generally drink Sailor Jerry & Dr. Pepper, but OJ is a close second favorite now.

Another odd one he discovered? The Monsterita. We ran out of frozen limeade for margaritas, so he substituted one of his Lo-Carb Monster Energy drinks. I normally can't stand that canned crap, but I had to agree with him...when mixed with our margarita recipe, it's dangerous. It doesn't taste like much of anything...not much Monster...not much alcohol. It's just barely sweet, barely tart. You could be fooled into thinking you're drinking lightly flavored water...but you're still drinking a fairly strong margarita with tequila, triple sec, and Grand Marinier. *shakes head*
"Just open your eyes
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Julie wrote:
[...]
You could be fooled into thinking you're drinking lightly flavored water...but you're still drinking a fairly strong margarita with tequila, triple sec, and Grand Marinier. *shakes head*
Slowly?
mariotunic

Post by mariotunic »

A glass of beer I was handed to by a friend had this slight turkish coffee, but more-so mocha taste to it. I'm hoping to find out what that was, it was pretty good. I usually find most beers so distasteful.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
:) My husband will sometimes get creative with his mixers when we run out and are too intoxicated to make a run to the store for more. We generally drink Sailor Jerry & Dr. Pepper, but OJ is a close second favorite now.

Another odd one he discovered? The Monsterita. We ran out of frozen limeade for margaritas, so he substituted one of his Lo-Carb Monster Energy drinks. I normally can't stand that canned crap, but I had to agree with him...when mixed with our margarita recipe, it's dangerous. It doesn't taste like much of anything...not much Monster...not much alcohol. It's just barely sweet, barely tart. You could be fooled into thinking you're drinking lightly flavored water...but you're still drinking a fairly strong margarita with tequila, triple sec, and Grand Marinier. *shakes head*
My favorite 'non-alcohol' tasting alcoholic drink is a healthy shot of peppermint schnapps in a hi-ball glass, ice cubes and fill with 7-Up or Sprite. It tastes like peppermint soda. Be careful, it's sneaky and will tilt the room when you try to walk away after several of them.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:My favorite 'non-alcohol' tasting alcoholic drink is a healthy shot of peppermint schnapps in a hi-ball glass, ice cubes and fill with 7-Up or Sprite. It tastes like peppermint soda. Be careful, it's sneaky and will tilt the room when you try to walk away after several of them.
I'll have to try that sometime. I've always avoided peppermint flavored drinks in the past because they so often taste medicinal, but this may work. :)
"Just open your eyes
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I have never tried the frou-frou vodkas. A bottle of Stolichnaya from the freezer, served neat, cannot be improved upon by any addition of essence or flavor.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

mariotunic wrote:
Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:

Haha! Oh man, I can't imagine. 'Dude, try this screwdriver, it tastes JUST like a diaper soaked in orange juice!' -shudder-
ROFLMAO Being a single Mom, this made me giggle endlessly.

I prefer Krolewska, Stolichnaya, and Grey Goose. Absolut for fruity mixers(Bad experience with Screwdrivers makes me nauseous whenever I have to mix one). I hear Van Gogh is rather smooth, but I can't get it out here yet(as the good liquor shoppes are out of pocketbook range). I'm partial to Jameson 40, Bushmills or Black Bush, since Tullamore Dew is only just now coming back. I adore Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, and Dalwhinnies for Single Malts. I like a nice splash of Canton's Ginger in my tea for those freezing Winter nights. My liquor cabinet, which is normally stocked with rather pricey stuffs, is woefully threadbare. I'm tempted to go back into private bartending so I can restock. :P

Take Stoli Vanil and Patron Cafe XO(or Kahlua if the pocketbook is wanting) over ice--two parts Kahlua or the Patron Cafe XO to one part Vodka over ice for a sweeter Black Russian.

Another good one is Patron Cafe XO and Jameson poured over sweet espresso ice cubes(espresso mixed with a ton of sugar, poured into an ice tray, then pop out cubes as needed), and top with Chocolate whipped cream. It's called a Devil's Tuxedo(which is just the Patron Cafe XO and Irish Whiskey), but I make it with a sinful twist.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Another good one is Patron Cafe XO and Jameson poured over sweet espresso ice cubes(espresso mixed with a ton of sugar, poured into an ice tray, then pop out cubes as needed), and top with Chocolate whipped cream. It's called a Devil's Tuxedo(which is just the Patron Cafe XO and Irish Whiskey), but I make it with a sinful twist.
I'd have to try a Devil's Tuxedo just because of the name. The ingreedaments just makes it sound better... :)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:Another good one is Patron Cafe XO and Jameson poured over sweet espresso ice cubes(espresso mixed with a ton of sugar, poured into an ice tray, then pop out cubes as needed), and top with Chocolate whipped cream. It's called a Devil's Tuxedo(which is just the Patron Cafe XO and Irish Whiskey), but I make it with a sinful twist.
If only I could stomach whiskey (or any of the liquors that are in that "family")...that actually sounds interesting. :( Unfortunately, whiskey was the last thing I drank during my first experience with alcohol poisoning. More than a decade later I can still barely handle the smell of the stuff.
"Just open your eyes