British cider strongbow

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: British cider strongbow

Post by Sgt. Howard » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:04 am

Dave wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:39 pm
Sgt. Howard wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:09 pm
Typeminer wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:32 am
Concentrating cider by freezing is traditional, but I've heard that it's risky because it also concentrates the congeners that are discarded with the heads and tails in distillation.
Generally speaking, Congeners in apple Cider are not near as concentrated as in red wine or rum- and they significantly add to the flavor (even though they tend to be mildly toxic).
According to some commentary I read, in the Colonial and pre-Prohibition days applejack had a reputation for causing particularly bad hangovers, and possibly even "apple palsy" (sometimes leading to blindness).

Some indicate that the biggest risk factor is from methanol... which is produced during fermentation by yeast's action on pectin. Apples contain a great deal of pectin. I'd think that would be the biggest advantage of heat-distillation over freeze-concentration; during distillation the lower-boiling-point methanol comes out with the heads, and can be discarded (or used for bio-fuel I suppose).
As I recall, it has a great deal to do with what apples are use- and beyond that I do not know the particulars. I DO know that distillation, when done wrong, produces formaldehyde and a variety of nasty ketones and alkaloids... to say nothing of the poisons created if the still is made of anything other than pure copper, stainless or Pyrex.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.