Spinoff: Reading

Girls like Monica aren't just in the comics. Ask a real-life Jaguar Girl your questions about the day to day ins-n-outs when you're 4'10" and your bras live in the upper half of the alphabet. Keep it clean of course! Your mom may be reading these too! ;) Also, be sure to come visit me at http://yananimkova.com/

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Forum rules
Forum rules
Hello everyone! I just wanted to have a formal welcome to everyone who reads Wapsi Square and joins this forum. This is where you can discuss all things Wapsi related and get to know fellow fans.

*Please don't start any off topic threads here or direct any existing threads astray, OT discussion can be had over at the Wapsi Pub.*

General Rules:
-NO SPAM!!!

-NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Period. You will get one warning. Repeat offenders will get NO warning!

-Swear words are not censored but keep obscene language to a minimum.

-Do not bother other forum members on the board or through direct messaging if they have requested you to stop. If someone is bothering you and you have asked them to stop, let the moderators know by sending them a PM.

-Do not post pictures of or links to obscene material. Any link that is potentially not safe for work, let us know: NSFW

Other than that, everyone play nice and enjoy your stay!

Spinoff: Reading

Postby GlytchMeister » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:12 pm

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Yes, the twenty-something guy has a library card. :P

You say that as though there are people who don't!

I'm distressed by the number of twenty-something people who I'm fairly certain don't ...

... read. At all. At least, not books.

A couple of years ago, I met a young lady at a social event, who said she was a secondary-school teacher in the area. I asked her how many of her students read for pleasure. She held up her hand, with fingers making a "zero" symbol.

Yana, do you read for pleasure? If so, what sort of stuff do you read?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Re: Spinoff: Reading

Postby Yana Nimkova » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 am

Obviously, as per the other thread, I've read Spider Robinson. :) I do, but I tend mostly to really well-known stuff, and since I don't have a ton of time, I don't necessarily do it often. I've read a lot of fantasy (and when I was a teenager, a lot of bad romance novels) :) I also enjoy the Dresden Files books. :)
Yana Nimkova

Postby Catawampus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:52 pm

So. . .fantastically bad romance novels with puns, then?
Catawampus

Postby Sgt. Howard » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:58 pm

We are serious "Harry Potter" fans in this house
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Postby GlytchMeister » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Sgt. Howard wrote:We are serious "Harry Potter" fans in this house

Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Artemis Fowl
Bartimaeus Trilogy
The Belgariad / The Malloreon
The Inheritance Cycle

I've read a whole bunch of others, but I can't remember them off the top of my head...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Postby Warrl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:45 pm

I used to buy practically anything written by Mercedes Lackey, but since she became a big-enough name that apparently everyone's afraid to even suggest editing her I have become MUCH more selective... and still one of the last two books of hers that I bought was seriously bad. (Fortunately I picked it up used.)
Warrl

Postby TazManiac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Misters Larry Niven, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, and some other Giants of Science Fiction...

Oh, I forgot Clancy's canon, and a bunch of similar folks like Dale Brown.

Just over the last few years; the books a lot of the recent TV series have been based on, Like 'Game of Thrones' & 'The Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo', etc...

(and then there's.... 'the Pearl', just for nostalgia’s sake, you understand...) <-- Only there's a little too much birching for my tastes...
TazManiac

Postby Sgt. Howard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Ah... "The Pearl"... My initial sexual education...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Postby Warrl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:35 pm

TazManiac wrote:(and then there's.... 'the Pearl', just for nostalgia’s sake, you understand...)

"The Pearl" was my introduction to the notion that "great literature" doesn't have to actually be readable...

... then I was also required to read "Of Mice and Men" and my opinion of Steinbeck as a writer went considerably lower.
Warrl

Postby Just Old Al » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Sgt. Howard wrote:Ah... "The Pearl"... My initial sexual education...

Knowing you I would have expected Lady Chatterly... :)

Re: Classic literature and readability: Best example of that is James Joyce's "Ulysses". I have never managed to make my way through it. It ranks right up there with Lady Shelley's "Frankenstein" for density and turgid prose.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Postby TazManiac » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 pm

OK, time for an Oedipus-al Moment in self-revelation mode; My father was a very intellectual man, and dragged a Library around with him during the course of his life. As the decades progress and circumstances called for choices and sacrifices (and partly due to human nature and a stubborn personality...) the collection dwindled over time. Each relocation called for a culling of the tomes, and I recall the disappointment when I took little interest in James Augustine Aloysius Joyce's classics.

How I was supposed to know without either being told or having already read them myself is part of the tragedy of life and human interaction, but I morn not only the missed opportunities but also the waste of a Fahrenheit 451 type situation... "Well, neither the Library nor the Used Books Store will take them, so...".

There is a saying that life is too short to drink bad beer, but the same goes, in a manner of speaking, in terms of Reading.

I completely understand reading 'stuff' to recreate (as in recreation of the mind and psyche), but there has got to be enough time made to wade through that '100 Classics You Should Read Before you Die' as well.

Taking into account where I am posting this I would think a distraction like a beautiful lady might instead be an opportunity to read to one another...
TazManiac

Postby Typeminer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:06 pm

I did make it through Ulysses, a long time ago, just reading it on my own, without notes or reference material or anything. I knew I was missing a lot, but I wanted to get through it before the 80th anniversary of Bloom's day out. Some chapters went a lot better than others. The punctuation greatly increased my appreciation of the em-dash.

Years later, I read that Joyce's great triumph was giving the Irish their voice in English, and that is why he is so celebrated in the Republic. Irish Gaelic is an ancient language of narrative and poetry, and the English did their best to stamp it out and bury that heritage. Joyce stole back the people's voice in the language of the occupiers.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Typeminer

Return to Ask a Busty Gal *Featuring Yana Nimkova*