Stability and posture.

Girls like Monica aren't just in the comics. Ask a real-life Jaguar Girl your questions about the day to day ins-n-outs when you're 4'10" and your bras live in the upper half of the alphabet. Keep it clean of course! Your mom may be reading these too! ;) Also, be sure to come visit me at http://yananimkova.com/

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

Forum rules
Forum rules
Hello everyone! I just wanted to have a formal welcome to everyone who reads Wapsi Square and joins this forum. This is where you can discuss all things Wapsi related and get to know fellow fans.

*Please don't start any off topic threads here or direct any existing threads astray, OT discussion can be had over at the Wapsi Pub.*

General Rules:
-NO SPAM!!!

-NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Period. You will get one warning. Repeat offenders will get NO warning!

-Swear words are not censored but keep obscene language to a minimum.

-Do not bother other forum members on the board or through direct messaging if they have requested you to stop. If someone is bothering you and you have asked them to stop, let the moderators know by sending them a PM.

-Do not post pictures of or links to obscene material. Any link that is potentially not safe for work, let us know: NSFW

Other than that, everyone play nice and enjoy your stay!
Just Old Al

Stability and posture.

Post by Just Old Al » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:52 am

OK, I've always wanted to know this - and your missive on rudeness has prompted me to ask.

Does selection of undergarments (properly fitting ones) mitigate the weight imbalance issues you must experience - or am I overengineering this?

To clarify, seems to me that you and those like you must suffer awful backaches and other issues if you're on your feet for long periods of time - and does reharnessing some of that weight to your shoulders and thus to spinal loading rather than forward pull help?

I shouldn't ask, but the structural engineer in me demands an answer. :)

Thanks - Al.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."

Yana Nimkova

Re: Stability and posture.

Post by Yana Nimkova » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:51 am

Just Old Al wrote:OK, I've always wanted to know this - and your missive on rudeness has prompted me to ask.

Does selection of undergarments (properly fitting ones) mitigate the weight imbalance issues you must experience - or am I overengineering this?

To clarify, seems to me that you and those like you must suffer awful backaches and other issues if you're on your feet for long periods of time - and does reharnessing some of that weight to your shoulders and thus to spinal loading rather than forward pull help?

I shouldn't ask, but the structural engineer in me demands an answer. :)

Thanks - Al.
You're not overengineering it at all. I do have a job (other than model) that requires me to be on my feet for pretty much the entirety of my shift. And I do get backaches (and foot aches) because yes, when you have X pounds dangling freely off your chest, that sucks, as does having a weight that's forward of your center of gravity.

A good bra is more or less a necessity. And that's the key...a GOOD bra. People talk about ill-fitted bras. In a properly fitted one, the vast majority of the support comes from the back band, not the shoulder straps like everyone thinks. Yes, the shoulder straps help, and they take the majority of the "bounce force" (not that I know if that's a term).

I /still/ get my aches and pains after a shift. But having had experience in being without (such as swimsuits, which really offer no support to speak of), the aches and pains come A LOT faster.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 pm

I think the female clothing industry could stand to have some overengineering.

So it isn't so much a suspension issue as it is a support from beneath... It kind of seems like the purpose of the bra is to redirect the stress from the front to the back, which turns the front load into a backpack sort of load... which is much easier to deal with.

Really large camp backpacks have a band that goes around the waist... It's very wide and cushioned, and is intended to sit just above the hips. This is the closest thing I can come to as far as finding a similar design that I am familiar with. In this case the The band transfers some of the weight of the backpack towards the front which helps center the load. The closer the load is to the center of gravity the more easily it is dealt with by the bearer.

Bras just do the same thing,but in reverse: front to back instead of back to front.

At least, that's what this question and answer helped me figure out.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:I think the female clothing industry could stand to have some overengineering.
The tricky part is that you have to find a balance between a whole lot of different factors. It would be very easy to design a bra that provides complete support: just have a column extend from the underside of each cup down to the floor, to bear the entire weight. That would greatly relieve the strain on the back. . .and also basically immobilise the wearer. Or you could go with something like an L-bracket to make a cantilever bra, with supports running down the front of the torso to help rotate some of the force of the weight perpendicular to gravity. That would certainly provide some stability and good posture. It would probably also be horribly uncomfortable, though, and would involve the woman walking around as though her vertebrae had all been fused (and wouldn't take the strain off of her legs). Until we figure out some sort of efficient gravity-cancelling technology, I don't see many options that don't involve trading off one discomfort for another.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:38 pm

It's basically a law of conservation. You can't delete the force the breasts exert due to gravity, but you can redirect it.

I wonder if it's possible to make a... Half-corset? That's the best way I can describe it. Basically, the band is really wide and extends down to the bottom of the ribcage, but no further. Some sort of semi-flexible framework running perpendicular to the ribs - springy flat steel would probably be best. Something like what is used in putty knives, but a little thinner and more flexible.

It wouldn't be meant to constrict but rather simply to provide an external structure that would serve as the foundation for the support structure of the cups. The force would be somewhat redirected and spread out over the entire rib cage.

Hell, it could also function as a back brace, too.
I'm too much!

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Google for long-line bra. They aren't common or popular, but they exist.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Huh. How 'bout that. I reinvented a wheel. Again. :P

I can see why they would be unpopular - there's a lot of material involved. It would get rather warm. Pity, because that design seems to work really well for busty gals...

Maybe some combination of structural elements and airflow management?
I'm too much!

Warrl

Post by Warrl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Huh. How 'bout that. I reinvented a wheel. Again. :P
It could be worse. On another forum a couple months ago a guy was relating how his long experience with his company caused him to advise against neat-sounding ideas that had been tried before... unsuccessfully... every 5-8 years... and he described it as stopping them from reinventing the wheel.

So I pointed out he was stopping them from reinventing the square wheel.

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Warrl wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Huh. How 'bout that. I reinvented a wheel. Again. :P
It could be worse. On another forum a couple months ago a guy was relating how his long experience with his company caused him to advise against neat-sounding ideas that had been tried before... unsuccessfully... every 5-8 years... and he described it as stopping them from reinventing the wheel.

So I pointed out he was stopping them from reinventing the square wheel.
Consider suggesting the triangular wheel -- it eliminates one bump, a 25% improvement!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Yana, thank you for a great, straightforward answer. Much appreciated, and glad to see I'm not overthinking it.

Alan
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Catawampus wrote: Or you could go with something like an L-bracket to make a cantilever bra, with supports running down the front of the torso to help rotate some of the force of the weight perpendicular to gravity.
Of course, were you to design something like that, the brackets would need to be in pairs - because...

{deep breath}

Why cantiliever alone?

Al

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Al, go sit in a corner. That was atrocious. :P
I'm too much!

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Just Old Al wrote:
Catawampus wrote: Or you could go with something like an L-bracket to make a cantilever bra, with supports running down the front of the torso to help rotate some of the force of the weight perpendicular to gravity.
Of course, were you to design something like that, the brackets would need to be in pairs - because...

{deep breath}

Why cantiliever alone?

Al
(Cue rimshot)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 pm

That... that pun was SO BAD that even DAVE thought it was horrible.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:00 pm

jwhouk wrote:That... that pun was SO BAD that even DAVE thought it was horrible.
Dave immediately decided that Al has just forfeited the right, and the moral standing, to gripe about any of Dave's puns for the next few billion years.

That one was of Feghoot quality, Al! It approaches the level at which everyone within hearing distance screams, holds their noses, and flees from the room. :shock: :lol:

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:19 am

Thank you, thank you....I'll be here till Thursday.....

:)

Sorry about that - been waiting to use that one for literally decades.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:52 am

Just Old Al wrote:Sorry about that - been waiting to use that one for literally decades.
Oh, how well I know the feeling! Sometimes, you really do have to save it up, and wait until the Universe gets around to handing you a 100%-perfect setup... and it can indeed take decades.

You do have to wonder about the metaphysics and moral questions, though. It's a bit like in The Sirens of Titan. Is it really just and proper that Catawampus's whole hidden purpose in life, for the last few decades, was to be in the right place at the right time, in the right forum, discussing the right topic, to set up the straight line for a horrendous pun ambush? Did Catawampus know, or guess?

Typeminer

Post by Typeminer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:17 pm

jwhouk wrote:That... that pun was SO BAD that even DAVE thought it was horrible.
And the worst part--He thought of it first! :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:59 pm

That was a pun worthy of Callahan's.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Callahan's?