Note from Yana

Girls like Monica aren't just in the comics. Ask a real-life Jaguar Girl your questions about the day to day ins-n-outs when you're 4'10" and your bras live in the upper half of the alphabet. Keep it clean of course! Your mom may be reading these too! ;) Also, be sure to come visit me at http://yananimkova.com/

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

Forum rules
Forum rules
Hello everyone! I just wanted to have a formal welcome to everyone who reads Wapsi Square and joins this forum. This is where you can discuss all things Wapsi related and get to know fellow fans.

*Please don't start any off topic threads here or direct any existing threads astray, OT discussion can be had over at the Wapsi Pub.*

General Rules:
-NO SPAM!!!

-NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Period. You will get one warning. Repeat offenders will get NO warning!

-Swear words are not censored but keep obscene language to a minimum.

-Do not bother other forum members on the board or through direct messaging if they have requested you to stop. If someone is bothering you and you have asked them to stop, let the moderators know by sending them a PM.

-Do not post pictures of or links to obscene material. Any link that is potentially not safe for work, let us know: NSFW

Other than that, everyone play nice and enjoy your stay!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Note from Yana

Post by AmriloJim » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:06 am

Glytch:

I already run a forum site using this very software. "Twould be no trouble to add a forum and restrict it to invitees.

Comfy Couch o' Confusion v3.0

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 am

AmriloJim wrote:Glytch:

I already run a forum site using this very software. "Twould be no trouble to add a forum and restrict it to invitees.

Comfy Couch o' Confusion v3.0
If Yana thinks this is a good idea and gives the green light, I think that would be a wonderful start.

I think the main starting-point for getting models involved would have to be referrals from Yana herself... But big things are made of little things. If it works out well, we might have a fairly reliable network of Backup Buddies in relatively short order.

I'm hesitant about deliberately publicizing something like this, because that would advertise the existence of this to the slimey skeevers... But in doing so, we could build and create redundancies in the network in much less time.

I can think of several webcomic artists besides Paul who might be willing to plug this concept in a commentary or on social media somewhere... And I bet if we reached out to art and photography professors in various colleges, some might be willing to help or maybe funnel some traffic our way. Maybe fashion schools too?

Hmmm. I just realized there could be a potential backlash from photographers. Nobody likes being ganged up on, and few people like change. Perhaps if we threw them a bone too? Maybe provide a list of vetted photographers? That would be easy enough to make in a forum setting, I imagine... If a model has a good experience with a photographer, they can put an entry in for them and give a good rating. The more good ratings, the more likely a model will accept a job from them. And that counts as publicity, which is a bid deal for photographers just starting out, I expect.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:08 am

Agreed... definitely need Yana's input here. Bookworm could do the same here, but his plate is rather full.

As I already have forums entitled "Sketch Gallery" (political), "Cineplex", and "Listening Room", the name "Portfolio" would slide into the general flow of the site... it would simply have an extra level of access.

I have a co-admin who hails from Zurich and London, though he also claims allegiance to Canada. wilorg is well-respected in "legitimate" theatre and major motion picture circles. To vet him, visit his profile and read some of his 5,771 posts... he has many remarkable behind-the-scenes memories of those memorialized in our requiescat in pace forum. He would have access to any forum I create, and as you can tell, I have no trouble vouching for him.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:26 am

OOH! Models who do have the misfortune of getting into bad situations can also post their experience. That can provide valuable information for others regarding how the cops act, how the judicial system works in that local area, that sort of thing.

Man, my brain is just churning out ideas tonight. (Not just here, elsewhere too)

(STAY OUT of Creve Coeur IL... They have such a bad police force my MOM doesn't even trust the cops there... And she usually trusts cops unconditionally. Also stay out of Pekin IL if you aren't white. I still have problems with Neos and the Klan coming out of that cluster____ ____hole.)

Ahem.

I bet there are some tech-minded models who might be willing to admin as well... At least within their sub forum.
I'm too much!

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 am

I would think public posting of individual photogs who do this sort of thing in itself would clamp down on the practice- but meanwhile, a security net of some rough-and-tumble capacity 'Rent-a-Daddy' types scattered hither and yon- you know, now that I think about it, even the presence of somebody with credentials to be a creditable witness would be enough to shut it down.
I would volunteer
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 am

People might get nervous about renting people like you and I, Sarge. We kinda make people jumpy.

If we keep it between models, at least at first, participants will feel safe with their Buddy. Perhaps there can be a semi-separate area where a model can choose to buddy up with someone who is more capable of handling things themselves and isn't just there as a witness and as someone to dial 911...

But that's a risk/reward situation. People like me especially are hard to vet. I don't exactly have credentials for this sort of thing... And opening up a place where any Joe Schmo can offer to be a Buddy opens up a way for planted false buddies paid off by skeevy photographers to get in.
I'm too much!

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm

My federal credentials speak for themselves- and yea, I make people jumpy. I consider it a gift, and in this instance it would be a qualifying factor. Yana would never need to fear me- others... guess what? I can correct their attitudes without working up a sweat. I fear nothing on two legs and not much on four... but I always value the honor of a Lady. Yana I would protect as one of my daughters... and I can give their phone numbers as references.

Not that hard to vet at all. And I've known you long enough to vouch for you- had I no faith in you, I would never have sent that package.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 am

DinkyInky wrote:"Models and photographers, listen up. Make them sign a contract.
Though you want to make sure that you have somebody who knows what they are doing write it up for you, unless you're good at contract law yourself. A badly-written contract can be just about useless, or even end up being used against you.
GlytchMeister wrote:It doesn't just have to be just for models too. Anyone who is traveling alone could benefit from something like this...

Of course, the more people involved, the more chance there is of it being infiltrated. It would need a system to vet potential Buddies to keep out people who would try to take advantage of this in a bad way. And something to police the whole thing.
Keeping it within the overall community (models, photographers, agents, make-up people, designers, whomever else) would make the system pretty much self-policing. It would be in everybody's best self-interest to play nice. It would also be self-advertising.
Sgt. Howard wrote:I would think public posting of individual photogs who do this sort of thing in itself would clamp down on the practice-
There might be legal problems with that.
but meanwhile, a security net of some rough-and-tumble capacity 'Rent-a-Daddy' types scattered hither and yon- you know, now that I think about it, even the presence of somebody with credentials to be a creditable witness would be enough to shut it down.
Yeah, it could be just about anybody, from big burly professional MMA champions to other tiny little models. Just the presence of some other party at the scene ought to discourage any bad activity. And if not, then they would be able to give evidence in situations that ended up like Yana's. It would be very unlikely that anybody would have to start punching anybody else (though optional punching might be a possibility).

Of course, you'd want to have the people who would actually be using this whole system give you some feedback before you started designing and setting it up.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:54 am

Yep, we're kinda brainstorming right now. We'll see what Yana thinks, and maybe she can take the idea to some of her friends in the business.

If they like it, we'll see what happens.
I'm too much!

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:33 pm

I just hope she's okay right now.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 pm

jwhouk wrote:I just hope she's okay right now.
Amen.

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:22 pm

jwhouk wrote:I just hope she's okay right now.
This is one of those really frustrating situations where you can't really do anything for the person other than basically send them best wishes and ethereal hugs over the ethernet.

At least she's getting plenty of that, it seems.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Yana: we care, we are concerned, and we hope you're ok.

We have you in our thoughts.
I'm too much!

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Yana: we care, we are concerned, and we hope you're ok.

We have you in our thoughts.
I wish I had the Bastards in my sights...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 am

I mentioned my co-admin wilorg earlier... in PM, we've been discussing the rash of spambots, a majority from the former Soviet Union, applying for access. We added additional challenge questions, and he suggested making those relative to content on our boards. I don't want to do that because we would be limiting the chance of browsing visitors joining, and I mentioned my offer to host the forum suggested above. He visited this thread, and made these comments...
On the other front, you can tell Yana that I have often worked with minders on the set, no pro shoot has anything against it (so long as it doesn't come out of their budget, and some shoots, especially with underage types, insist on a minder, sometimes on the budget). My only complaint ever has been stage mothers, coaches and what not who interfere with the process and undermine my work. Olivier has a great story to tell on that one working with Marilyn Monroe on the film The Prince and Show Girl and it is both hilarious and infuriating, and I have a few as well, most of us in the biz do, but on the whole, when there is a one on one shoot or rehearsal with a pretty young woman, I prefer there is a third person there, to make sure neither side can ever be accused of anything untoward, and frankly, so does every other top guy in the biz. The only person I never invite onto a set for that purpose is my wife, and only because she will put her oar in way too much. As I had to remind her once, she may be the director at home, but on the set, I am the one and only. So she no longer gets minder duty unless it is with one of her girls (currently 140 of them - oy!). BTW, most towns now have places you can hire a minder for such things, as do most agencies, so you don't have to travel with one, you can get them on location from a local agency. Off duty cops do that sort of thing all the time - big source of income, actually, and they do it on a sliding scale. So do bouncers.

Photogs who won't sign a contract are full of sh*t, as are any "directors" or "producers", and most pro models I know, like pro actresses, have clearly delineated limits of what they will and will not show in the contract (you can show the bare breast down to the top of the areola, but not the nipple, any partial nudity must be on a closed set, the model must be offered a sufficient vanity covering up to the moment of the picture and the vanity returned immediately after the take with a female assistant taking the vanity away and allowing the model to compose the pose prior to the photographer seeing the the uncovered model, that sort of thing - the levels of detail I have seen in such contracts are pretty detailed and intense). We no longer live in a freewheeling time in the media industry, and so we do everything we can to make sure there is no legal exposure. We're not "artistes", we're craftsmen, and if we have a "vision" thing, then that is in the contract to, and negotiated before hand.

I think a private forum may be a good idea, but naming and shaming bad guys in such a forum won't be much good, methinks - firstly, no one outside the forum gets the info, and if it gets out, there is the potential for a defamation suit against the forum operator. You may pass all the above on to the forum on my behalf, and I hope that this lousy experience hasn't put Yana off her game. I had a quick look at her online portfolio - she's pretty, has good bone structure, takes the light well, so there is a career for her, if only in bread and butter work (too short for runway and high fashion, alas), and she shouldn't let a bad dude sour her aspirations, as awful as the experience was, and I have heard worse, believe me - she should just take it as a lesson to be more careful in her bookings - if it feels dodgy in any way, never go alone if you do accept the booking. My ex-wife was a top model (big surprise there, eh?) and she also had a few scares in her early days, but it just toughened her up and made her far more aware of how much she has to control her business, more than the agency will do for her. Good luck to Yana and tell her to keep her chin up.

Mark N

Post by Mark N » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:16 pm

It is post like this that make me both furious as hell over the evil of some people and relived by the invention and kindness of others. I have thought the forumies here tended to be the best examples of humanity since day one, but this just confirms it in my mind. Not only are you all being supportive on an emotional level, you are coming up with ideas that may be able to prevent something like this if we can get others to listen and use the ideas as resources.

And Yana, I am sorry for what happened to you and hope it does not dampen your desire to do what you want to do.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.