Q & A: Clothes that fit right

Girls like Monica aren't just in the comics. Ask a real-life Jaguar Girl your questions about the day to day ins-n-outs when you're 4'10" and your bras live in the upper half of the alphabet. Keep it clean of course! Your mom may be reading these too! ;) Also, be sure to come visit me at http://yananimkova.com/

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

Forum rules
Forum rules
Hello everyone! I just wanted to have a formal welcome to everyone who reads Wapsi Square and joins this forum. This is where you can discuss all things Wapsi related and get to know fellow fans.

*Please don't start any off topic threads here or direct any existing threads astray, OT discussion can be had over at the Wapsi Pub.*

General Rules:
-NO SPAM!!!

-NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Period. You will get one warning. Repeat offenders will get NO warning!

-Swear words are not censored but keep obscene language to a minimum.

-Do not bother other forum members on the board or through direct messaging if they have requested you to stop. If someone is bothering you and you have asked them to stop, let the moderators know by sending them a PM.

-Do not post pictures of or links to obscene material. Any link that is potentially not safe for work, let us know: NSFW

Other than that, everyone play nice and enjoy your stay!
Yana Nimkova

Q & A: Clothes that fit right

Post by Yana Nimkova » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 am

Cala171 wrote:Hello Yana!

First off, I have to say I'm a bit envious of the climate you're in. Alberta winters can be a mite...chilly at times.

As a guy who's spent the last 9 years living with a beautiful & busty gal, I'd say finding clothes that actually fit right is an issue. It annoys my gf endlessly when she finds a cute top that just...doesn't fit with her bust. How do you cope with this? I guess being short might add to this, eh?

Like DinkyInky said, layers can be your friend. :) The danger to them is they can also add mass there, and that's usually the last thing you want. Having a tailor that can do good darts helps. Also, black helps downplay things. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, and go with a stretchy fabric. It may show things off, but sometimes you just have to rock it out.

DinkyInky

Re: Q & A: Clothes that fit right

Post by DinkyInky » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:59 am

Also pairing solids and bold patterns can distract the eye from trouble areas. I've paired loud bold print tunics with black split skirt trousers and long black tailored jackets. For someone short like me, the long lines of jacket and continuing down into the flowy trousers create an illiusion of height.

I've done the same with long single coloured sweaters, black or white shirts/blouses/tunics and dark trousers.

I've found after I became a Mother that the more fitted the trousers are, the heavier I looked, so I opt for relaxed or loose fit, and boot cut for jeans.

And for God's sake ladies! Pay the $15 to tailor the length! Walking your fave jeans to shreds means that when you finally go, the tailor is going to tell you "No." The reason is they can always cut fabric away to fit them properly the first time, but when you shred them, they have to cut that damaged fabric away, leaving you with shorter length. The only way to "fix" that involves tailoring away the shredded length, then making 'Hippie Jeans' with creative fringe and ric-rac.

Guys, you too, because you won't look nice with cute or sexy fringed jeans. I mean, if you want to pay for the zippered breakaway on you fave jeans(the only way to lengthen guys jeans by converting them to just below knee-length jean shorts with the breakaway there, and you have to provide the matching jeans(usually sacrificed from your rotation)) , by all means, but there's better ways to spend $50(which is the cost of tearing the center inseam apart to add the breakaway zipper).

Cuffs look polished, but you need four to six inches of extra fabric in your inseam for it, which is why you buy untailored suit 'blanks' at a suit shoppe. One size does not fit all or fashion.

If tailors scare you, shop around. Ask suit shops and dry cleaners and their clientele who to go to. You pay for the skill...usually.

Prices in 2012(when I last worked at a cleaners/tailor shop) were:

$15 straight hem
$20 cuff
$20 taper
$40 waist in/out
$20 waist in, pocket removal jeans. Not recommended for "distressed".
$20 elastic buttonhole waist plus buttons for jeans/chinos/casual trousers
$20 jacket sleeve
$50 suit jacket darts
$40 suit jacket sides

These were also lower than most in the county, done by the best tailor(biased because she's my Mother, but Pnina Tournay loved her alterations work on one of her clients wedding gowns, and the very creative recycling of the pieces removed, so yeah, I'm biased). She taught me enough to confidently tailor my son's trousers, and my own.

The short version: Pay for the Tailor!!!!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir

Warrl

Post by Warrl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Yana Nimkova wrote:Like DinkyInky said, layers can be your friend. :) The danger to them is they can also add mass there, and that's usually the last thing you want.
At first I misread one word in the above as "lawyers"...

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:05 am

I had nothing really to add to this thread until, just today, I came across a store-front, with a sign out front, advertising 'Alterations'.

Seeing as I have a whole ton of dungarees (blue jeans) some of which succumbed to a bit of Rat Chewing (argh!, 'Rats Must Die' campaign; what ever happened to my fire and brimstone?)

My plan was to save the worthy ones with parted out jeans that had been assigned to the work-clothes bin- and the point of this post was/is:

I'm going to take some clothes to the Tailors, and it's Fifteen years past Last Century.

So, yeah, support your Local Tailor/Seamstress.

*edited for calenderific correctiveness, sorry AJ...
Last edited by TazManiac on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 am

:|

Was there a joke in that? I feel like there's a joke or a reference in that.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:19 am

TazManiac wrote:... and it's sixteen years past Last Century.
[nitpick]
The 21st Century began on 01/01/2001, so we're only 15y 3m 18d into the new millennium.
[/nitpick]

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Warrl wrote:
Yana Nimkova wrote:Like DinkyInky said, layers can be your friend. :) The danger to them is they can also add mass there, and that's usually the last thing you want.
At first I misread one word in the above as "lawyers"...
If guys keep harassing a busty gal, lawyers can be their friend.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:51 pm

So, both lawyers and layers can be good. :)

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 pm

Yana Nimkova wrote:So, both lawyers and layers can be good. :)

Layers of Lawyers? (*shudder*)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 am

Sgt. Howard wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--Safyr Drathmir

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Wearing the layers of lawyers might be a bit odd, however. ("It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the disbarment!") I'm not sure what the proper tailoring on such a lawsuit would be, either, or how best to make it of a flattering yet supportive cut.

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:50 pm

He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:57 pm

The princess pic on f'book, love the hair!

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 am

Thank you! And for everyone else, please feel free to check out my Facebook for my latest pics!

Typeminer

Post by Typeminer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Sgt. Howard wrote:

Don't be too hasty. If they're layered on the seafloor, it'll be okay. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Typeminer wrote:Don't be too hasty. If they're layered on the seafloor, it'll be okay. :mrgreen:
Always did wonder what it might take to fill in the Marianas trench. There's precedent for that means of disposal, I think... didn't Dick the Pirate suggest that "The first thing we do, let's keelhaul the lawyers"?

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:24 am

That is one massively voluminous wedding dress. It sort of suggests to me a big white wedding cake with a little Yana cake-topper figure perched on the peak.

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 am

I wish that Asian inspired one was a full instead of a portrait.

Whoever set up hair and makeup was spot on. I hate how in the industry, they take aspects of the garment and sort of paint the face as though it's part of it.

The muted tones still say Asian, but don't detract from the what I'm betting was a magnificent gown.

Personally, I'd prefer soft palette to bold, in-your-face unless you're showcasing the hair and makeup.

I always thought it ridiculous how the elaborate hair and makeup stole the spotlight from the beautiful clothes.

I also hated how some would glam it up to try to carry boring outfits. It's cheating.

--Safyr Drathmir

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Here you go, Dinky. :) It's not quite full-on, but it shows more. A behind-the-scenes from that shoot.
Attachments
dinky.JPG
dinky.JPG (128.02 KiB) Viewed 4318 times

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:17 pm

Thank you, that answers my curiosities about the gown...aaand now I want one! :P

I love how they did that(and that your hair is long enough to pull off that formal style).

Yes, that's what I was looking for. It's not full-length, but not scandalously short.

They've also got it pleated/wrapped to show your figure off without the tight-fitted look you see in a lot of Asian inspired gowns.

--Safyr Drathmir