Werewolves?

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DemonWolf

Werewolves?

Post by DemonWolf »

We know werewolves are artistic types, but as vampires are created differently in the wapsiverse, has anything been said about how werewolves come about?
Humans as individuals are a mixed lot. Humanity as a species is an organised serial-killer biding his time.
Dave

Re: Werewolves?

Post by Dave »

DemonWolf wrote:We know werewolves are artistic types, but as vampires are created differently in the wapsiverse, has anything been said about how werewolves come about?
Not that I can recall. As far as I remember, we don't know anything about their species ecology other than that they're among the "looked-down-upon" of the paranormals.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

DemonWolf wrote:We know werewolves are artistic types, but as vampires are created differently in the wapsiverse, has anything been said about how werewolves come about?
Well, you see, when a mommy werewolf and a daddy werewolf love each other very much...

Actually, vampires are probably a special case because they are undead. Werewolves are not undead. So the assumption is that new ones are created pretty much the same way as other mammals.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

God dammit I had a whole thing written up and I had to go look something up and the damn page lost everything dammit
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The golem girls are capable of shape shifting to giant animal forms. The Chimera was not a three-headed conglomerate but rather a single-headed beast that's looked a bit like a winged lion, perhaps. And the Chimera was the pièce de résistance of Lanthian weapons development.

Tepoz was a prototype golem, a humanoid created from the ashes of a weasel.

It may be possible that the entire tech tree between Tepoz and the Chimera had elements of animalistic combinations and other such things.

There are loads of different myths that seem to have wolf-man hybrids as their core, much like how there are loads of different "flying magic reptile" myths that are all pretty much referred to as dragons. Which can often be interpreted as a potential clue for a single ancient source material or inspiration, lost in antiquity.

My hypothesis is that Lycanthropy is a type of retrovirus that acted not on the DNA of the victim itself, but the epigenetic markers, changing which genes are expressed and which ones are kept inactive, and to what extent. Developed as a potential way to force humans to become animalistic living weapons, the virus caused wolf-like and canine genes to be expressed and suppressed some human ones. Perhaps it also worked best on females because of the periodic hormonal changes due to the menstrual cycle. I don't know if men have anything similar that can cause a cyclic changing. Maybe females can change back and forth based on the 28-day average menstrual cycle (which also coincides pretty darn close with lunar cycles, possibly leading to a mistake of correlation/causation by some medieval scribe). Which would also fit with the fact that it was Jim's female ex who was a Lycan. Maybe males just stay in the lycanthropic form?

But yeah, that's my best guess. Lycanthropes are related to the golem weapon program as a means to create super soldiers - c'mon, better senses, fur to keep warm, claws and bigger teeth?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!