The possible limits to golem power

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

The possible limits to golem power

Post by Dave »

Apparently, there may be some limits to the use of technology which taps the momentum of a rotating galaxy. This could be another reason why constructing a large number of Bud-class golems might not be a good thing in the long run.

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-09-13
Catawampus

Re: The possible limits to golem power

Post by Catawampus »

Make some antigolems, too, to reverse the effect.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Seems appropriate. We know that both Mayahuel and Jin had dealings with the "immortal politicians" over the years. So, May as the original golem-maker would be fully qualified to be a spin doctor.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Moving a world, even three times in quick succession, is peanuts to the angular momentum energy equivalent of a galactic core (aka a supermassive black hole). It's even tinier when compared to the angular momentum of an entire galaxy.

But, yes, the principle does make sense. But the numbers involved are askew, unless the world is really

REALLY

Big.

The overall limit of a simple exertion of a golem would be equal to the total energy required to fully counteract the Galactic Angular Momentum.

However, I recall how, when Bud threw the Calandar Machine Pebble, even if she didn't actually throw it at 1/3c, a Newton's 3rd Law Reactonary Force would have pushed her into the ground. As in, her whole body would have likely sank into the ground beneath her. Instead, she stayed put.

I propose Golems, using the same mechanism they use to convert GAM into whatever sort of strength they are applying, also convert an equal and opposite amount of energy from the N3L Reaction Force back into GAM.

Some energy is inevitably lost to thermodynamic entropy, but the overall reduction in angular momentum is still greatly minimized.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Moving a world, even three times in quick succession, is peanuts to the angular momentum energy equivalent of a galactic core (aka a supermassive black hole). It's even tinier when compared to the angular momentum of an entire galaxy.

But, yes, the principle does make sense. But the numbers involved are askew, unless the world is really

REALLY

Big.
You're thinking only of the energy needed to move the world physically from one place to another. But what about the energy needed to harness that energy, move that energy from one point to another, direct that energy in a certain way, and so on?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Even if we use a brown dwarf world, which is more or less the biggest an object can get while still being called a planet/world, and take into account the energy requirements for transporting and directing and containing all that energy, we are still dealing with a supermassive black hole.

Not one, not hundreds, but hundreds of thousands to tens of billions of solar masses. Furthermore, not only does that include the angular momentum incurred by the spinning of the initial star, but also the angular momentum of each whole star and other black hole as it falls into the supermassive black hole... Not just spinning, but also orbital angular momentum.

That is a... Mind-bogglingly titanic amount of mass, angular momentum, and available energy.

And I am not even including the mass and angular momentum of the entire galaxy here... Which is anywhere between 0.8 and 1.5×10^12 Solar Masses (according to Google).

That's... That's a whole lotta mass spinning around, and it ain't exactly spinning around at a lazy sort of pace. Some of those outer halo stars are hurtling around the Galactic Core at pretty high speeds.

So that's an immense amount of angular momentum. Like, my brain can't even put that into perspective. Slingshotting a world is peanuts to that kind of energy. Teleportation is a little less concrete because of reletivity and how much energy creating a wormhole would require, but I'd bet my lunch today not even that would severely tax a GAM-powered system.
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:Even if we use a brown dwarf world, which is more or less the biggest an object can get while still being called a planet/world, and take into account the energy requirements for transporting and directing and containing all that energy, we are still dealing with a supermassive black hole.
snippage
So that's an immense amount of angular momentum. Like, my brain can't even put that into perspective. Slingshotting a world is peanuts to that kind of energy. Teleportation is a little less concrete because of reletivity and how much energy creating a wormhole would require, but I'd bet my lunch today not even that would severely tax a GAM-powered system.
i agree that it IS a vast sum, but don't forget the "planet" in question was almost entirely made out of PTU elements*... so the weight/mass calculations are going to be way LOW for the in-comic values... but, all things considered for the comic universe cross-over here, I'll bet that there are extenuating circumstances that upped the energy drain more than Petey would have liked, and just hasn't explained it yet.

*PTU's are an in-universe, artificially created, material that has EXTREMELY high elemental weight as they are entirely "Post-Trans-Uranics" on the periodic table of the elements... which even in SOME of today's IRL theories, there are certain artificial elements way up there that MAY be STABLE and NOT radioactive... this just goes one step further and makes it so...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I've actually been messing around with that very same island of stability in the fanfic...
I'm too much!