Wapsi Square adult Coloring Books?

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Wapsi Square adult Coloring Books?

Post by jwhouk »

I posed the question to Pablo on the Book of Face: since we have a Steampunk coloring book ad gracing the banner here on the forums, why not a Wapsi version?

Paul was a little leery because of the time commitment, but what would you all say to something like that?

Personally, I'd get one - but that's just because I'm not a fan of the fractals that are out there.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Re: Wapsi Square adult Coloring Books?

Post by jwhouk »

The exact quote:
Paul Taylor on Facebook wrote: Hmm, no, I never thought of that. Finding time may be even harder.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I think that's a cool idea... And I also think he could save a great deal of time by converting some original comic drawings and scenes to be colored. The comic lends itself very well to being colored in.

One that comes to mind is the scene where Shelly and Euryale are walking away from the viewer while Euryale talks about Medusa.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Lar De Souza, artist of LFG/LICD jokingly did a small book of some of his line art. He gave my son permission to print up a page here or there to colour before the idea. I still want one.

That reminds me...I need to snapshot his finished pieces for him.

Ditto with the few line art Miss Isa posts on Namesake.

Growed ups like them too. :D
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I was pondering the very same thing and had clicked the banner ad to investigate further.

I recall enjoying Adult Colouring Books including the more text book like versions intended to teach Biology and Anatomy as well as a series of books I discovered @ University Art Supply (and comic book shops now that I think about it...)- they had Classic Science Fiction themes like Jules Verne's work in them.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-ch ... pen/pt/666

I cant seem to find neither the pens nor the books in a short Googeling but the pens I used may be familiar to others; they came in multi-packs of 6 or 8 and larger like 24 and so on, and had a yellow vinyl colour to the smaller 'case's (actually a soft pouch type arraignment, with a flap held closed with a snap...)

For some reason my recollecting has hit a Sargasso dead zone with the word (incorrect as it is) 'Pentax', but yes I know that's a camera.

I'd think a Wapsi Square colouring book would make a great gift to share with others...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:I was pondering the very same thing and had clicked the banner ad to investigate further.

I recall enjoying Adult Colouring Books including the more text book like versions intended to teach Biology and Anatomy as well as a series of books I discovered @ University Art Supply (and comic book shops now that I think about it...)- they had Classic Science Fiction themes like Jules Verne's work in them.

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-ch ... pen/pt/666

I cant seem to find neither the pens nor the books in a short Googeling but the pens I used may be familiar to others; they came in multi-packs of 6 or 8 and larger like 24 and so on, and had a yellow vinyl colour to the smaller 'case's (actually a soft pouch type arraignment, with a flap held closed with a snap...)

For some reason my recollecting has hit a Sargasso dead zone with the word (incorrect as it is) 'Pentax', but yes I know that's a camera.

I'd think a Wapsi Square colouring book would make a great gift to share with others...
Pentel or pentech comes to mind for your pens.

Sakura gelly roll and Sakura Ballsign are smooth and colourful for writing and drawing, silky gel ink with hundreds of colours that you can get overwhelmed with.

I also use Tomba duo brush, Flair(with tons of ventilation), Stabilo 68 and 88, micron, and the new sharpie non-perm archive pens...no bleed through.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*shrugs*

I hardly ever work in color... I just don't have the eye for it. When I do decide to try colors, I just use crayola colored pencils. They blend fairly well, can provide ok coverage, and they aren't too messy. Plus, a freshly sharpened pencil is one of the most precise methods of applying a medium I know of.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:*shrugs*

I hardly ever work in color... I just don't have the eye for it. When I do decide to try colors, I just use crayola colored pencils. They blend fairly well, can provide ok coverage, and they aren't too messy. Plus, a freshly sharpened pencil is one of the most precise methods of applying a medium I know of.
My son will apply damp Qtips or brushes to watercolour wash it. Tons of effects you can do with just those.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote: Pentel or pentech comes to mind for your pens.
Thats IT!

Thirty Years ago (35-40?, jeez...), all 'Last Century' and stuff, I was getting pretty proficient in using just those, self-taught and not knowing about other kinds of tools to work with.

http://www.target.com/p/pentel-fine-poi ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wuUuvv you...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Don't ya just hate that? When you know exactly what you're thinking about but you can't remember the name?

Stuff like that can keep me from sleeping. I have to google until I learn the name.

Very frustrating.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:
DinkyInky wrote: Pentel or pentech comes to mind for your pens.
Thats IT!

Thirty Years ago (35-40?, jeez...), all 'Last Century' and stuff, I was getting pretty proficient in using just those, self-taught and not knowing about other kinds of tools to work with.

http://www.target.com/p/pentel-fine-poi ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wuUuvv you...
Happy to help. I just got my Daddy a set of Flairs recently

I heard happy tales regarding his doodles with them.

He flirted with my mother by making "Birds of America" on 3x5 cards. I got him a set so he would start drawing again.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm glad to hear it, encouraging the Arts is both required and um... encouraged.

Following my last post, this thread, I got to thinking of how there is a difference with something like tools; quality of the tool makes a big difference in the outcome, but in terms of Art you can still create beauty with some lower end supplies and media.

I mean to say that there is certainly a difference in 'Artist Level' pens and brushes, but (only to illustrate the point) Andy Warhol was at one point using a crappy point n' shoot Instamatic camera in his work.

Heck, I could pull a green-stick branch from a tree, shave the end tapered and do some fine Calligraphy and Line Art with it.
OTOH, there is that drool-worthy, platinum clad, "why aren’t I buying a down payment on a house?" type stuff out there, it's like chasing the tail of the Dragon...

I'm starting to feel re-inspired to pick up the brush again, and the pencil, and see what I can come up with. If nothing else it's a good excuse to go sit under a tree, like I keep telling others to medicinally accomplish for themselves.

My heads working on a claim of 'we've forgotten how', but I think the hand still remembers...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:I'm glad to hear it, encouraging the Arts is both required and um... encouraged.

Following my last post, this thread, I got to thinking of how there is a difference with something like tools; quality of the tool makes a big difference in the outcome, but in terms of Art you can still create beauty with some lower end supplies and media.

I mean to say that there is certainly a difference in 'Artist Level' pens and brushes, but (only to illustrate the point) Andy Warhol was at one point using a crappy point n' shoot Instamatic camera in his work.

Heck, I could pull a green-stick branch from a tree, shave the end tapered and do some fine Calligraphy and Line Art with it.
OTOH, there is that drool-worthy, platinum clad, "why aren’t I buying a down payment on a house?" type stuff out there, it's like chasing the tail of the Dragon...

I'm starting to feel re-inspired to pick up the brush again, and the pencil, and see what I can come up with. If nothing else it's a good excuse to go sit under a tree, like I keep telling others to medicinally accomplish for themselves.

My heads working on a claim of 'we've forgotten how', but I think the hand still remembers...
I have a blown glass pen. One dip in India ink writes half a page, and ink can go thick or eyelash fine.

ImageKolinsky sable/Windsor Newton watercolours. Safyr at her finest. No, she really doesn't care she lost. She took most of them out first.

ImageKolinsky sable/Windsor Newton watercolours. Haven't found my sketchbook with this in it, so her hand and gorget are forever unpainted. Emerauld's bored...that is scary.

ImageInked with glass pen...India ink. My son loved the raw line art so much it never got colour. Pencil is on my dA page.

Doodled while my son giggled during Scooby Doo. Guess which episode and scene? Pencil on Bristol, Inked with Flair pen.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Not that I'm agin' it, I'd buy one as soon as it was published, but let's not forget that there's some who've taken matters into their own hands...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:Not that I'm agin' it, I'd buy one as soon as it was published, but let's not forget that there's some who've taken matters into their own hands...
Yesh, I have even doodled a few... :P

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Whatever happened to Wdot? I haven't seen them around for ages.
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I'm fairly proficient at drawing and painting, but generally don't feel any inclination towards doing it (I've more tended towards three-dimensional art or written stuff). I never invested anything in fancy drawing supplies, just using whatever I had at hand. I couldn't really tell you much of anything about ink types or paint types.

I did end up finding an antique drawing and painting kit that I kept for no particular reason but never used. An acquaintance who was a professional artist saw it and practically wet himself in excitement over it, so I gave it to him. Apparently it was some much-sought brand, though I couldn't tell you now what it was.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

The only things I'm particular about are my paintbrushes and paints.

I love Winsor Newton paint, as the colours are brilliant, and do not fade quickly.

Kolinsky Sable brushes, are worth the expense if you care for them. I also have a few large area human hair paintbrushes I acquired after a painter tossed them when done with a job. I use them both for gesso and blending sky/water areas. If they ever completely die, I will replace them gladly.

My calligraphy/ink wash painting brushes are horsehair, and come from Korea. My oldest ones are 27 years old, and even the one my ex roommate destroyed is still with me, as they, along with a very intricate carved black granite inkstone and several blocks of the finest ink, were a gift from my Mother after visiting her family back home.

The newer ones do not seem as vibrant in hand, and I attribute that to them needing about another five years to be broken in.

That reminds me...I need to buy more rice paper and ink. Might buy a cheap inkstone to use with cheap inks until I can acquire the good ink again(they cost a small fortune to import).

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Here's an example of fan-coloring I came across on Deviant-Art...

http://solbet.deviantart.com/art/Wapsi- ... -211215512

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Apart from the wrong colors being used for Nudge (I forget her fur color, but I'm pretty sure the face markings/tattoos/whatever they're called are blue...), that is some impressive coloring and shading.