Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Aed

Re: Wapsi Square Trivia Qizz

Post by Aed »

Jabberwonky wrote: ... Yeah, I've been able to answer all but one or two of the questions posted, but coming up with a question is hard...
Agreed. I have been trying to jot down questions, their answers, and a link or two, as I comb through the archives looking for the answer to other trivia questions. I have been trying to pick questions that are either single strip gags or that play out over a small number of days. I am also looking for events that may not be essential to the main story arc, but that still provide some interesting information about one or more of the characters.

I am trying to avoid questions about people or events where the answer is deduced or inferred from clues Paul provides us. For example, the identity of the Immortal Politician. Paul provides lots of hints, but has yet to explicitly identify the character so I think that is a good topic for a separate forum thread, but probably not so good as a trivia quiz question. vOv

I am also trying to avoid questions and answers about key plot points in any of the story arcs. I hope folks can have fun with the quiz without having to worry about spoilers for the main story arc plots. That, and the smaller artistic or written ornaments that Paul sprinkles his stories with just seem more suitable to me for Geek cred.

Oh, these are just my personal guidelines for hunting trivia questions, I imagine that everyone else has their own guidelines. I always look forward to the next question, but now I need to get back to looking for Shelly and Jin's conversation. I've found where Shelly confided to Heather, and where she encounters the HUGE spider with Justin. Jin and Shelly's conversation must be further down the time line. :?
Last edited by Aed on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Jabberwonky wrote:Yeah, I've been able to answer all but one or two of the questions posted, but coming up with a question is hard...

Random Button...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TazManiac wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Yeah, I've been able to answer all but one or two of the questions posted, but coming up with a question is hard...

Random Button...
This!
:lol: :lol:
Aed wrote:Oh, these are just my personal guidelines for hunting trivia questions, I imagine that everyone else has their own guidelines. I always look forward to the next question, but now I need to get back to looking for Shelly and Jin's conversation. I've found where Shelly confided to Heather, and where she encounters the HUGE spider with Justin. Jin and Shelly's conversation must be further down the time line. :?
Hint: Look for a Heather re-appearance...
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Loving this thread -- makes me do lots of remembering. Don't have the Shelly/Jin answer yet, but when I do....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:Loving this thread -- makes me do lots of remembering. Don't have the Shelly/Jin answer yet, but when I do....
I like that your avatar is shaking it's fist as you make this declaration...
:lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky wrote: What fear did Shelly confess to Jin?
"I know I have issues and I'm well aware of my shortcomings! I do have something to offer! I refuse to let my problems be a defining factor! I LIKE WHO I AM!"

I'll wait for confirmation whilst I figure out what the next question is... :twisted:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote: What fear did Shelly confess to Jin?
"I know I have issues and I'm well aware of my shortcomings! I do have something to offer! I refuse to let my problems be a defining factor! I LIKE WHO I AM!"

I'll wait for confirmation whilst I figure out what the next question is... :twisted:
Kee-rect!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, this one may take some digging:

"Who are the two characters that own (or purchased) one or more bowling balls in-comic?"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Okay, this one may take some digging:

"Who are the two characters that own (or purchased) one or more bowling balls in-comic?"
Shelly owned one, which was stored away in her closet, improperly secured, so that it fell on her head, whereupon she immediately fell into Heather's lap. Later, the doctor stated how amazed he was at the thickness of Shelly's skull, while having an X-ray photo of her head on the wall behind him.

The other character to have a bowling ball is Brandi. She told herself, via the book she had written in previous time loops, to purchase a bowling ball, and cut it in half, to make half of the mirror sphere. She "cut" it in half by rubbing it quickly on a brick wall, wearing it down to half a sphere. After using it to glue the mirror pieces in place, she read further and found out she had to do the same with the "other" half of the bowling ball, which she of course no longer had, since she had rubbed it off. So she had to purchase another bowling ball, just to complete the sphere. Finally, she was told, still via the book, to have yet another bowling ball at the ready. So she did. The purpose of said ball was for her to go relax by going bowling. In total, she purchased 3 bowling balls in that story arc.

I'm so proud of me: I knew it all by myself, without having to search for the answer... :mrgreen:

Grrr! Now I have to go look for the links... :roll:

8-) :lol: :P

[Edit #1: link to Shelly's bowling ball]
Aed

Post by Aed »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Okay, this one may take some digging:

Shelly owned one, which was stored away in her closet, improperly secured, so that it fell on her head, whereupon she immediately fell into Heather's lap. Later, the doctor stated how amazed he was at the thickness of Shelly's skull, while having an X-ray photo of her head on the wall behind him.

The other character to have a bowling ball is Brandi. She told herself, via the book she had written in previous time loops, to purchase a bowling ball, and cut it in half, to make half of the mirror sphere. She "cut" it in half by rubbing it quickly on a brick wall, wearing it down to half a sphere. After using it to glue the mirror pieces in place, she read further and found out she had to do the same with the "other" half of the bowling ball, which she of course no longer had, since she had rubbed it off. So she had to purchase another bowling ball, just to complete the sphere. Finally, she was told, still via the book, to have yet another bowling ball at the ready. So she did. The purpose of said ball was for her to go relax by going bowling. In total, she purchased 3 bowling balls in that story arc.

I'm so proud of me: I knew it all by myself, without having to search for the answer... :mrgreen:

Grrr! Now I have to go look for the links... :roll:

8-) :lol: :P

There are your links, what is your question? :ugeek:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Aed wrote:There are your links, what is your question? :ugeek:
Hey! No fair! I was looking for those!
I found Shelly's bowling ball link in only 20 minutes, too. I'm pretty satisfied. Especially since it was in the years where there were no names to go with the dates in the archives... And since I knew more or less the time frame of the second link, and it is in the later years, where Paul started naming his comics, rather than just having the dates as names, it was going to be easier to find.

But there's no point in searching now... You already did it. :roll:

I thought we were supposed to validate our own answers via the links... That was part of the challenge, as far as I was concerned. But now it's too late... :cry:

I was going to post the question once I had found the second link.

Oh well.

How about another confession?

What did Shelly confess to Heather?
(Hint: could have been a like, a dislike, a fear... - yeah, I know... that hint is just so helpful, isn't it... :P )

A better hint: whatever was confessed was followed (in the following page) by an explanation as to why the confession was what it was.
Aed

Post by Aed »

lake_wrangler wrote:Hey! No fair! I was looking for those!
I found Shelly's bowling ball link in only 20 minutes, too. I'm pretty satisfied. Especially since it was in the years where there were no names to go with the dates in the archives... And since I knew more or less the time frame of the second link, and it is in the later years, where Paul started naming his comics, rather than just having the dates as names, it was going to be easier to find.

But there's no point in searching now... You already did it. :roll:

I thought we were supposed to validate our own answers via the links... That was part of the challenge, as far as I was concerned. But now it's too late... :cry:
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I was so eager to learn what question that you were going to ask, I failed to wait for you to provide the links. Sorry. :oops:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Maybe we can amend the rules, so that either we provide a link as part of our answer, or, if we answer from memory, we include enough details that the person who posted the question can validate the answer, and possibly provide the links as well. But we'd have to include a fair amount of details in our answer as to when or where something occurred, or the background or context of a conversation, to prove we didn't just pull something out of thin air.

Whaddya think?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Awww -- linking is half the fun!

FWIW, I've gone so far as to put dates at the top of my book(s) pages so when I find something, I know where to look in the archives to link it. Not that I'm anal or anything... just makes it a LOT easier to figure out what to link when I'm commenting.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Aed

Post by Aed »

I re-read the rules and I don't see anything that prohibits group effort, though such activity might complicate the selection and posting of the next question.

Since I'm the only one to break a rule, by my lack of patience, I hesitate to change anything. I think I should work harder to follow the rules instead.

Personally, I search for the comic to link before answering a question. Sure, someone else sometimes posts before I do, but that's fine. It's all about fun. The Geek Cred is just icing. Speaking of which, I wonder if there is any cake left?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Aed wrote:The Geek Cred is just icing. Speaking of which, I wonder if there is any cake left?
there is no cake... the cake is a lie...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

A while back, I did suggest that looking for the link to prove my answer would take a while, and that anyone else who might find it first could post the next question... so I'm not opposed to group efforts...

On the other hand, maybe I should start taking note of the link to my own questions' answers, once I determined what question to ask... So far, it's been more of a "OK, that comic looks good as a basis for a question, let's ask away, and move elsewhere..."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

scantrontb wrote:
Aed wrote:The Geek Cred is just icing. Speaking of which, I wonder if there is any cake left?
there is no cake... the cake is a lie...

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

See? A lie. Mere photons on a screen...
Aed

Post by Aed »

lake_wrangler wrote:
How about another confession?

What did Shelly confess to Heather?
(Hint: could have been a like, a dislike, a fear... - yeah, I know... that hint is just so helpful, isn't it... :P )

A better hint: whatever was confessed was followed (in the following page) by an explanation as to why the confession was what it was.
A: Shelly confessed to Heather that she was afraid of being alone. On the next page Shelly stated "I don't like who I am by myself."