A bit of feedback...

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

KnightDelight

Re: A bit of feedback...

Post by KnightDelight »

Do you get feedback when you're reading a book? As has been mentioned, this is a book (graphic novel) written as we read it. Feedback would take from the thrill of discovery when it does seems to fall into place. I say "seems" because we are often wrong in our "thrill of discovery" as the plot goes in totally unexpected directions. Think of the forum like a book club. the members get together to discuss what has happened so far and try out ideas. They get personally invested in the story. Again, the author does not show up to guide them. The art is enough to keep me coming back, the plot variations are a big bonus. Besides, if Paul reads this stuff he can see some may be on the right track and there is no need for him to add to things.

Most of the things we worry over are minor plot points that make no real difference to the story overall. Like how Bud knew of the boob mounted crystal. It's a bit frustrating, but makes no real difference in the end. Even with things like that, most can still follow the main plot and go right along. As we have seen over and over again, these things eventually get resolved and one only needs patience. If not, we move on anyway and await the next reveal. People are still arguing over small points in War and Peace too and this story covers a period of time to make W&P look like a blip.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Julie

Post by Julie »

KnightDelight wrote:Do you get feedback when you're reading a book? As has been mentioned, this is a book (graphic novel) written as we read it. Feedback would take from the thrill of discovery when it does seems to fall into place. I say "seems" because we are often wrong in our "thrill of discovery" as the plot goes in totally unexpected directions. Think of the forum like a book club. the members get together to discuss what has happened so far and try out ideas. They get personally invested in the story. Again, the author does not show up to guide them.
You know, that's a very interesting (and accurate/insightful) comparison. :) I've always wanted to be in a book club, but I never liked the books that the clubs around me were reading. Now I get to be in one! Yay!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

That synopsis was great. I usually read a week at a time and it doesn't really help. But it doesn't solve the problem of having trouble telling the characters apart. Nor the frustration of recommending that someone read WS. I feel funny saying, start at the beginning because the current stuff is just too involved to just jump into (and I can't explain it to you).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Part of the current plot muddle, IMHO, is the characters involved are all new except Kat, who was only lightly fleshed out. As a result, we're getting a ton of exposition, supposition, and other positions all at once, plus the plot on top of it. If it were Monica and Shelly in the lead here, we'd have their prior experiences to help shape our understanding of what's happening. But since it's basically all new, except for the general Wapsiverse, we're all playing catchup as we go along.

And, merrily we go along! (Go along, go along...)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:But since it's basically all new, except for the general Wapsiverse, we're all playing catchup as we go along.
So, the only thing to do is relish the excitement!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:But since it's basically all new, except for the general Wapsiverse, we're all playing catchup as we go along.
we can mustard up the required amount of enjoyment that these forums bring us daily, for most of the characters portrayed are hot sausey women that are pleasure for us to look at, and the storyline is great too...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

scantrontb wrote:
Dave wrote:
we can mustard up the required amount of enjoyment that these forums bring us daily, for most of the characters portrayed are hot sausey women that are pleasure for us to look at, and the storyline is great too...
And who knows what kind of pickle they'll get into next.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
Dave wrote:So, the only thing to do is relish the excitement!
And who knows what kind of pickle they'll get into next.
Cheesy as it sounds, lettuce all agree this is a fantastic story and we mayo as well enjoy it as much as possible.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You're making me hungry.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

jwhouk wrote:You're making me hungry.
Better be careful, then: It was a hunger for knowledge & thirst for adventure that brought Kath & Atsali to this point.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:we can mustard up the required amount of enjoyment that these forums bring us daily, for most of the characters portrayed are hot sausey women that are pleasure for us to look at, and the storyline is great too...
It's probably best, though, that no one mention buns.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:It's probably best, though, that no one mention buns.
That's OK, as Kat is having a good buns day... the REST of her... a not so good of a day...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dear lord, what did I start....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Dear lord, what did I start....
Complements to the condiments, chief!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Well this thread took a deli-ghtful turn.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

The pun jar has spiced up its interest, and looks ready to a-salt someone. (If it can figure out who is to blame this thyme.)

(I do think we are on a roll. . . .)
mschief

Post by mschief »

Duskglow, I'm 100% with you. I do appreciate the complexity and magnitude of the story, but it's become too difficult to read for pleasure. Especially this storyline-- I don't think the pace of a webcomic is really conducive to a story like this, which might be easier to digest in book form with all the information available in one go.

That said, THANK you jwhouk for that synopsis!! I have NO idea how you figured it out, but it sounds fantastic to me! :D

Could I make a selfish request? When you guys (those who have the time and brains to sort out what's going on) figure out chunks of the storyline, would you kindly label the post "storyline synopsis" or something like that? Maybe even start a forum thread for it, just so the rest of us can try to stay along for the ride. If you... peas. :mrgreen:
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

mschief wrote:Duskglow, I'm 100% with you. I do appreciate the complexity and magnitude of the story, but it's become too difficult to read for pleasure. Especially this storyline-- I don't think the pace of a webcomic is really conducive to a story like this, which might be easier to digest in book form with all the information available in one go.

That said, THANK you jwhouk for that synopsis!! I have NO idea how you figured it out, but it sounds fantastic to me! :D

Could I make a selfish request? When you guys (those who have the time and brains to sort out what's going on) figure out chunks of the storyline, would you kindly label the post "storyline synopsis" or something like that? Maybe even start a forum thread for it, just so the rest of us can try to stay along for the ride. If you... peas. :mrgreen:
Also--then it can be used by another kindly soul to update the wiki.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll try to remember to talk to Paul and see how he wants to handle it. Either as a synopsis structure on the main site, or in the forums (maybe with a link from the main site). Either way, he should probably be the one to go over the synopsis and make sure it says what he expects it to.

(and maybe have others for the previous story arcs)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sorry, I'm not going THAT far back. My name's not Tolstoy :lol:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin