Castela in the Kitchen

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Castela in the Kitchen

Postby TazManiac » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Check it out:

http://www.justonecookbook.com/castella/

snip n' paste-
Traditionally, Japanese Castella cake is baked slowly in a wooden frame to create a soft smooth texture for the sponge because a metal baking pan would transfer the heat too fast and it would become too dry. I assume most of you would not have a wooden frame readily available, so my Castella recipe uses a standard 1-lb loaf pan...
TazManiac

Re: Castela in the Kitchen

Postby AmriloJim » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Just to be clear: castella (two "l"s) is a spongecake, Castela (one "l") is assuredly not.
AmriloJim

Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Postby TazManiac » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:57 pm

(aaaaahhh knowwww...)
TazManiac

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:30 pm

AmriloJim wrote:Just to be clear: castella (two "l"s) is a spongecake, Castela (one "l") is assuredly not.

Ah, but the sponge cake was originally named "Pão de Castela" in Portuguese, it says in that article.

And, the range of Prunus spinosa (the blackthorn) does include northern Portugal. I don't think Pablo has ever revealed just where the blackthorn stock from which Castela was created, actually originated from.
Dave

Postby GlytchMeister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Blackthorn also occurs in Ireland, which is where the cemetery where the Hilt of Excalibur Vimana Cell was originally hidden, before the (Nazi?) Germans in the Uboat found it and took to with them to their watery graves.

And that Vimana Cell functioned as a gateway to the Time Forest. And Blackthorns are said to be guardians of such gateways.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Blackthorn also occurs in Ireland, which is where the cemetery where the Hilt of Excalibur Vimana Cell was originally hidden, before the (Nazi?) Germans in the Uboat found it and took to with them to their watery graves.

And that Vimana Cell functioned as a gateway to the Time Forest. And Blackthorns are said to be guardians of such gateways.

Hmmm. We never did learn just what sort of tree had grown around the gravestone with the Celtic cross that was the clue to the presence of that Vimana cell, did we?
Dave

Postby Typeminer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Blackthorn also occurs in Ireland, which is where the cemetery where the Hilt of Excalibur Vimana Cell was originally hidden, before the (Nazi?) Germans in the Uboat found it and took to with them to their watery graves.

Blackthorn wood is used for shillelaghs in Ireland, too.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Typeminer

Postby TazManiac » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Look, we could run all over the place w/ the connotations associated w/ 'sponge cake'.

Just... think them to yourself. Folks these days aren't yet ready for fun not being derogatory.

Keep up the good work, we'll get there...
TazManiac

Postby GlytchMeister » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 am

Dave wrote:

Hmmm. We never did learn just what sort of tree had grown around the gravestone with the Celtic cross that was the clue to the presence of that Vimana cell, did we?

Exactly. I suspect that tree probably tried to fight off the soldiers who took that Vimana cell. England has a mythological precedent for predatory Willow trees which I thought were the inspiration behind Huorns, but with the way Paul does things, that might be a blurred reference to guardian blackthorns.

However, the fanfic will be doing something else with that...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Return to Wapsi Square General Discussion