Full Disclosure discussion section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Full Disclosure discussion section

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am Once you learn how to differentiate the “Dead Space” meets “Alice In Wonderland” madness from reality, you’re perfectly good to go! Drive for 40 hours straight, don’t suffer any sleep deprivation, and enjoy a level of entertainment unmatched by any form of media... ever.

The tricky bit is swerving for deer but not swerving for Shoggoths.
Other than the first line of this post reminding me strongly of the 1960s, I have little to say other than to applaud your inventiveness.

Should you ever end up out here in the Miskatonic, er Pioneer Valley, however - a word to the wise.

Dodge for the shuggoths as well....trust me, they're not imaginary. Damn things are a nuisance - always knocking over my bird feeder, leaving half-digested squirrels all over the yard and so on. Nasty buggers.

Hit one of those and dealing with your insurance company will be like invoking the One Who Must Not Be Named in Ry'leh. Death is preferable.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:04 am Dodge for the shuggoths as well....trust me, they're not imaginary. Damn things are a nuisance - always knocking over my bird feeder, leaving half-digested squirrels all over the yard and so on. Nasty buggers.

Hit one of those and dealing with your insurance company will be like invoking the One Who Must Not Be Named in Ry'leh. Death is preferable.
Yup. Driving with your tire treads full of squashed shuggoth is like driving on well-greased black ice, in a hurricane, with somebody nervously juggling the gravity knob. If you're exceptionally lucky you'll just end up wrecked in a ditch.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just Old Al wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:21 am This was very difficult to write and write well. The darts bit, on the other hand, was just sheer joy. I was eagerly reading it as it rolled up on the screen...the muses were that strong.
Oh, I LOVE it when the spirit grabs hold and I have to keep typing to find out what happens next!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:16 pm Oh, I LOVE it when the spirit grabs hold and I have to keep typing to find out what happens next!
And that is EXACTLY what happened there. I am a very visual writer (stop snickering) and having been in more than a few pubs I had a pretty good idea of what the inside of the Horse looked like. With that I saw A&R wander in, sitting, then the visit to the bar - and that's when all Hades broke loose.

Once the characters started talking and interacting the hands went on autopilot and I just sat back and enjoyed the show. I will confess to actually laughing and cheering when Rosalynd won the darts leg to win the series. I could see every in ch of it in Technicolour and Dolby 5.1 sound and enjoyed it greatly.

Warrl, as you say it's a supremely enjoyable experience when the Muses come to play and you are simply their conduit to the keyboard. I just love when that happens.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:21 am
Dave wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 pm Crisis averted... by love, honesty, and great hand/eye coordination!
Exactly. This was very difficult to write and write well. The darts bit, on the other hand, was just sheer joy. I was eagerly reading it as it rolled up on the screen...the muses were that strong.
On the other hand... is Glytch playing around with metastable nuclear isomers again?!? Jeez... tell Al to tell Brandi to tell Glytch that there are far safer ways to make his coffee. Brewing up a good dark roast should not require volatizing half of the Midwest.
This is GLytch we're talking about here. Remember - a crisis that can volatilize half a continent to us is simply 'Imma makin' mac and cheese - want some?" to him.

Believe me, you do NOT want to be around when he does brew coffee. Al has given up asking for a cuppa when he visits Glytch in Langley.
Brandi: *Takes out a pen and scribbles in her black book* Is not allowed to brew coffee for Al anymore...

*shudders*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...of course it was a Land Rover. :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:21 pm ...of course it was a Land Rover. :D
It could have been anything. There's a lot of machinery on a farm, and a good engineer can turn his hand to most if not nearly all of it.

On a meta level, I picked a problem I was very familiar with and built the scenario around it.

All kudos for it go to my editor, Dinky, though. I was stuck, trying to figure out how to bring the two of them together (but not really just yet) and she fired back with"Duh! Hew's got a Landy, right?"

And so it happened.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Something in the formatting that makes it come out "B&B" instead of B&B?

Other than that - nice little twist there. I have my suspicions, but very nice little cliffhanger.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am Something in the formatting that makes it come out "B&B" instead of B&B?

Other than that - nice little twist there. I have my suspicions, but very nice little cliffhanger.
Thanks for the heads-up - i thought I got the little bugger.

Reality is just not giving the poor sononfabitch an even break. Had he never found Hew and his family that would have been one thing, but to have them and lose them...just plain sucks. The Gods will have a lot to answer for if this is the case.
Dave

Post by Dave »

“Hardly. North again, unless you want to go to the circus instead.” As he said that, he pointed to a poster that had been plastered onto the façade of a closed shop.

“No. HELL no. The last Lion Tamer Incident was bad enough, and I do NOT need you getting in trouble over here with another one.”

“That was hardly trouble, dear. The man was inept at best, and needed a bit of correction. However, that being said, let me make a phone call and then we can be off.”
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I think we know of two "lion tamer" incidents to date... the Neil/Phix relationship could be described as one, and there was Aeterna's run-in with a lion at the zoo.

I don't remember one involving a circus.

Am I mis-remembering? Was there a third incident involving a lion? Did it also involve noodles? :shock:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Hmmm . . . who has Hew been associating with?

And is MIB going to contact their British counterparts?

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm Hmmm . . . who has Hew been associating with?

The fact that there's at least one person on the staff who is psychically sensitive (and is onto the fact that Al is not entirely mundane) is a big clue, I think. There's fey influence (not necessarily Fae) of some sort about!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...I think this time it wasn't the centaurs that stomped the panic button.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm Hmmm . . . who has Hew been associating with?

--FreeFlier
A: Wouldn't Hew like to know? TBH this is a situation I suspect where earlier half-sighted items are adding up...and the pendant was a trigger.

B: Already done on Al's behalf earlier - they're the ones that pulled together the public records that got him to Hew's doorstep. So, methinks after Sterling's call that there's a scramble going on in the background - especially as Al is not prone to fantasies and or the vapours. As Al told S. to call out 'the mosquito twins or their English equivalent' I suspect that tea has been brewed and is being consumed as they wait for a callback either cancelling or confirming the situation.

I can hardly see Director Oduya taking this lightly, especially given Al's propensity for ending up deep in the plonker (witness 'Trespass').
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm ...I think this time it wasn't the centaurs that stomped the panic button.
To be honest, do you blame him? The Masquerade is the biggest secret the paranormal world deals with - preventing the mundanes from finding out is paramount - and not taken lightly at all. If there is even a suspicion of leakage this needs to be checked out and dealt with posthaste. This is why MIB exists - and stopping things before they get too far...well, it is what it is.

If this does go bad, I hope Al and Rosalynd can hold it together afterwards. Lesser things have ended relationships. Were that to happen, perhaps it's a mercy that Al has Fen Ditton to fall back on - an ocean between him and a failed relationship might be enough.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 pm
“Hardly. North again, unless you want to go to the circus instead.” As he said that, he pointed to a poster that had been plastered onto the façade of a closed shop.

“No. HELL no. The last Lion Tamer Incident was bad enough, and I do NOT need you getting in trouble over here with another one.”

“That was hardly trouble, dear. The man was inept at best, and needed a bit of correction. However, that being said, let me make a phone call and then we can be off.”
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I think we know of two "lion tamer" incidents to date... the Neil/Phix relationship could be described as one, and there was Aeterna's run-in with a lion at the zoo.

I don't remember one involving a circus.

Am I mis-remembering? Was there a third incident involving a lion? Did it also involve noodles? :shock:
"Lion tamer incident" does not refer to either Neil with Phix or Al with Arania. And as you may recall, my little story about Aeterna had "(other)" in the title.

As for noodles, I'm sure Daisy would say that Al wasn't using his.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...is this where I point out that for a million-word story, we're only about 8% of the way through?
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm ...is this where I point out that for a million-word story, we're only about 8% of the way through?
Where are you getting a million? I said 100K. GO back and check for yourself...

(Actually I mistook the character count for the word count....)
Last edited by Just Old Al on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Just Old Al wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:30 am
chicgeek wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:58 pm I enjoyed this immensely!
Al has a harem...of cars.
Hang on to that harem comment...you’ll find it strikingly appropriate later. 🤗
Remember what I said about the harem comment? As you read along, you note that Rosalynd is having an absolutely torrid affair with Victoria...

Al, you will note, is not complaining.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just Old Al wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 pm
jwhouk wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm ...is this where I point out that for a million-word story, we're only about 8% of the way through?
Where are you getting a million? I said 100K. GO back and check for yourself...

(Actually I mistook the character count for the word count....)
Not a good enough excuse, Al; the character count is only about half a million. :D