Meanwhile, Elsewhere... (Mar 2018 Edition)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: Meanwhile, Elsewhere... (Mar 2018 Edition)

Post by lake_wrangler »

"Hey guys! Don't forget to take some bread pudding home with you! I mean it: I really don't want to eat it all by myself, and I know I will, if I bring it back!"

"Oh, who am I kidding," continued lake_wrangler, as he watched the throng run through the gateway and trample some poor guy on the other side as they exited the room, "I know very well I don't really mind... I'll just have to make sure to make it last more than one day..."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I was amazed at how fast the room emptied. The bulk of people just amscrayed right in into the portal, leaving just me, Sarge, Erza, and the two vamps.

And, lying on the floor having been stampeded by the crowd, Stan.

I quickly helped him back up to his feet. "You okay, Stan?"

"I... what... who... Huh?" was all he could get out.

"The portal into this room was stuck on one way," Lily told him. "We all got stuck in here - at one point or another."

"You nearly ended up in here earlier, that first time you peeked through the door," I added.

"But... but why?"

"I don't know. You'd have to ask Erza," Suzi said, thumbing back at the caretaker standing next to Sarge.

"He ain't tawkin', tho," Sarge pointed out.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:"I don't know. You'd have to ask Erza," Suzi said, thumbing back at the caretaker standing next to Sarge.

"He ain't tawkin', tho," Sarge pointed out.
"Cute. Real cute," said lake_wrangler, as he was slowly heading away from the portal, carrying what was left of the bread pudding and maple syrup, and he heard the exchange taking place behind him.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

(Erza Molin is a Dwarf, not a Troll.)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:(Erza Molin is a Dwarf, not a Troll.)
A very tall dwarf, if I recall....
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:(Erza Molin is a Dwarf, not a Troll.)
A very tall dwarf, if I recall....
Well, tall dwarves are not totally unheard of... :mrgreen:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lily and Suzi helped Stan to his feet, and went to follow the Quebecois with the bread pudding out the portal.

"I'll close up shop here," I told them, which Lily responded with a nod.

I looked back at the meeting room. "It always gets so messy after one of these little hiccups," I commented. This only garnered a shrug from Erza.

"Were you at the beach?" I'd finally noticed his attire. He nodded in response. "Was that the reason why the portal switch was off?" He shook his head no.

"Then what happened?"

He thought for a moment, then held up a finger. He then pointed at himself, then took his finger and made a few loops in a circle against his head.

"Brain fade?" He nodded back to me. "Understandable. No one expected what happened. C'mon, you can get back to cleaning this later. Go on back to your beach-side vacation."

He nodded, and walked back off to the portal - then stopped. He pointed at the area where the switch was located, and waved his hand horizontally at me.

"Got it - don't turn off the switch this time." He nodded in response, then went back through the portal.

Quietly, I went back over to the white board and erased the message on the board. I then wrote a new message in its place:

PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER USE
DO NOT CHANGE THE PORTAL SETTINGS
ENJOY YOUR STAY!

As an afterthought, I wrote:

BE CAREFUL MOVING SPEAKERS.

Satisfied, I went back to the portal, and walked through.

...only to end up outside my old church building back in Wisconsin.

"Nn-n-n-nn-NUDGE!" I screamed into the cold Wisconsin air.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That was cold of her.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Very, considering it's 70 here in Mesa and 31 in Merrill...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Hey, the jar of powdered mace is missing! How am I supposed to make these healthy beans taste unhealthy without garlic and powdered mace?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Not to be a jerk about it, but... have you considered trying allspice?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:The door to the room opened slowly, letting the exterior light in briefly - enough that the solitary figure could see enough to find the light switch.

A set of fluorescent bulbs illuminated the room from the ballast fixtures overhead, revealing the long table with chairs alongside them.

Satisfied, he walks around to the back of the room, and over to the doorway next to the scroll window, separating the kitchen.

The door opens, and another light switch illuminates the kitchen - immaculately clean. Emerauld, he thought. She must have cleaned up after the last time. This was confirmed by the plate of seed cake that was sitting neatly wrapped on the counter.

He went to the fridge to check stock - candied carrots, abuelita chocolate, a few two-liters of vanilla Coke, several bottles of seltzer water. The freezer had a few gallons of ice cream, along with one of orange sherbet.

Closing the fridge back up, he checked the pantry. Rosalita out did herself. Enough feed in here to keep us going until Pablo returns.

He returned to the main room. A smile came across his face, considering that the main storyline of the comic was about the shenanigans in the Gryphon activity room. That place has nothing on this setup, he thought.

He went over to the wall, flipped a switch that turned on an electronic whiteboard. Using his finger, he simply wrote:

OPEN FOR BUSINESS DURING RENOVATION

---

He turned around, and, as an afterthought, went back over to the opening in the one wall - one that looked like a simple archway that had been bricked over - and pressed his hand on a panel next to it.

A beep, a flash, and a VORP sound emitted from the wall, and he was standing in the foyer of a Mexican-themed coffee shop somewhere in the Twin Cities.

"Hey, Tina," he said, approaching the counter. "You can let the regulars know that The Room is back open. Also, we need some coffee for the espresso machine. Someone apparently took off with the last batch."

A silver-eyed woman with a toothy smile nodded and replied, "Comin' right up. I'll let the usual suspects know. Things have been rather... tense around here lately..."
If fluorescent bulbs are there, the bouncy ranger will be lurking elsewhere...especially when she knows there are better, more natural light options that don't drone on endlessly.

She's also set out cookies... :twisted:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Opus the Poet wrote:Well, now... :mrgreen:

I have a crock pot and a rice cooker along with several pounds of beans and another pound of brown rice, and a fresh jar of Cayenne Pepper Powder (aka dry Mace). Anyone up for some beans and rice North Texas style? It has been a while since I cooked for other people than myself and Mrs. the Poet. So should I make a batch at Mrs. the Poet heat (sensitive people can feel it) or should I set the pot on (kill)? I think there are some Habs at the local Tom Thumb for people feeling really adventurous.
*yawn* Whatcha doing using baby food peppers in that?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:*yawn* Whatcha doing using baby food peppers in that?
Oh, darn. I knew I forgot something.

Gwen and I just came back from a trip to Central America. We spent about ten days in Guatemala City, Antigua, Panajachel, and Flores... and I never thought to look for some of the Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango in the local markets. :(

Probably just as well, though. I probably couldn't have gotten them back to the U.S. without special preparations. The Border Patrol had a K-9 unit in the Houston airport, sniffing people's baggage looking for drugs, and food products that might carry pest insects. I understand that they don't appreciate it when their dogs sniff your suitcase and immediately burst into flames.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Ari returned to RE, looking quite flustered.

Al, tapping his toe, asked coldly, "We DO have a vacation policy here, young lady. It's nice to let the chappie what signs your paycheck know whn you're going to disappear.

So, where HAVE you been?"

Ari approached, fangs, wings and claws in evidence...

"Ari...now, really...DOWN! BAD ANGEL!"
Last edited by Just Old Al on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

2 things:

1. If Al had shown up it would have killed the scenario - so he was Mr. Not-appearing-in-this-scenario...

2. You want brutalist architecture try East Berlin...{shudder}. It's a LOT better now, but still some damn ugly architecture there (like the Communist Party headquarters - so contaminated with asbestos they can't figure out how to demolish it safely.)

Lovely people, the residents of Berlin. The architecture is all too schizophrenic.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just Old Al wrote:Lovely people, the residents of Berlin. The architecture is all too schizophrenic.
It's said the architects of the Hotel Moscow presented Stalin with a standard facade view of two different styles split down the middle. He said "yes" and left the meeting. They didn't dare question him, so the bipolar facade was built as is!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff