Coffee for Three

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Atomic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:50 am

jwhouk wrote:
Atomic wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...does a Louisville TPS count?

Only if you have the mandatory TPS cover sheet in place. Protocol and all that, don't ya know!


You have no idea what a Louisville TPS is, do you?

I wouldn't need a cover sheet. Blade tape, maybe, but not a cover sheet.

Even so, your TPS reports still need a cover sheet!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
User avatar
Atomic
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby ShneekeyTheLost » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:34 pm

FreeFlier wrote:A baseball bat might work . . . if you're strong enough and healthy enough to use it, have enough room to swing it (good luck in a hallway), and the attacker doesn't have a gun.
It is your house, so you get to pick where you engage him. Him having a gun is completely irrelevant in a home invasion scenario because he'll never be able to level it at you. He turns a corner, and gets hickory to the temple/knee.

It doesn't take much strength, either. If you don't have the strength to swing a bat, you don't have enough strength to handle the recoil on a gun.
ShneekeyTheLost
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby FreeFlier » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 pm

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:A baseball bat might work . . . if you're strong enough and healthy enough to use it, have enough room to swing it (good luck in a hallway), and the attacker doesn't have a gun.
It is your house, so you get to pick where you engage him. Him having a gun is completely irrelevant in a home invasion scenario because he'll never be able to level it at you. He turns a corner, and gets hickory to the temple/knee.

It doesn't take much strength, either. If you don't have the strength to swing a bat, you don't have enough strength to handle the recoil on a gun.

You're zero for two on that . . . He can be six feet away, and out of reach. And I can handle the recoil, but if I try to swing, I'm going to fall. (I'm mobility impaired, and cannot fight hand-to-hand any more.)

If I can't use a gun, my only other choice is bleating "please don't hurt me."

Not acceptable.


You can choose to use an ineffectual tool, just don't try to tell me I have to use it too.

Oh, and an intruder that carries a gun will normally carry a pistol . . . "leveling" it is not a problem. Point and bang!

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Sgt. Howard » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 pm

FreeFlier wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:A baseball bat might work . . . if you're strong enough and healthy enough to use it, have enough room to swing it (good luck in a hallway), and the attacker doesn't have a gun.
It is your house, so you get to pick where you engage him. Him having a gun is completely irrelevant in a home invasion scenario because he'll never be able to level it at you. He turns a corner, and gets hickory to the temple/knee.

It doesn't take much strength, either. If you don't have the strength to swing a bat, you don't have enough strength to handle the recoil on a gun.

You're zero for two on that . . . He can be six feet away, and out of reach. And I can handle the recoil, but if I try to swing, I'm going to fall. (I'm mobility impaired, and cannot fight hand-to-hand any more.)

If I can't use a gun, my only other choice is bleating "please don't hurt me."

Not acceptable.


You can choose to use an ineffectual tool, just don't try to tell me I have to use it too.

--FreeFlier



My Brother-in-law is as big around as he is tall- so is his wife, my wife's sister. In hand-to-hand, neither one is capable. Swinging a bat is also less of an option. Gary bought two semi-autos in .22 LR and fitted them with lasers. Double tap between the eyes and it's all over. Annie (my wife) is a remarkable specimen- her C&C is a .44 magnum. She prefers wadcutters- imprints the blunt nose with a cruciform cut. This is bear medicine... but then, she can also drop a tree with a double bit axe. I live very well and sleep soundly 'cause I don't treat her bad.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
User avatar
Sgt. Howard
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Malott, Washington

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Atomic » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Any weapon you can use, immediately when needed, is preferable to a better weapon you can't use, or can't access right now.

The person attacking you is already at the ready. You have to make up for that.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
User avatar
Atomic
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby jwhouk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:08 am

...it concerns me that in a thread about a story about my anniversary and retirement, it has devolved into home protection...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
User avatar
jwhouk
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby FreeFlier » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 am

jwhouk wrote:...it concerns me that in a thread about a story about my anniversary and retirement, it has devolved into home protection...

The wonders of topic drift . . .

Image

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Atomic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Your anniversary and retirement deserve protection!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
User avatar
Atomic
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Atomic wrote:Your anniversary and retirement deserve protection!

And pie.
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6258
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby FreeFlier » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:Your anniversary and retirement deserve protection!
And pie.

Habanero pie?


. . .


I'd better watch that . . . someone baked some habanero cookies.

. . .

And they were pretty good.

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby AmriloJim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 am

Local supermarket chain here has hatch green chile apple pies in stock....
User avatar
AmriloJim
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby jwhouk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:57 am

Oh, I don't think I'll have any issues finding spicy stuff down there. Whether or not my stomach will agree with it, that's another story.





"JA DAS IST EINE SCHNITZELBANK!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
User avatar
jwhouk
 
Posts: 5144
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby lake_wrangler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 pm

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:Your anniversary and retirement deserve protection!
And pie.

Habanero pie?


. . .


I'd better watch that . . . someone baked some habanero cookies.

. . .

And they were pretty good.

--FreeFlier

A couple of years ago, I ate a habanero brownie. It was very good. My son liked his, too.
User avatar
lake_wrangler
 
Posts: 3248
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby GlytchMeister » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Chile pies, habanero pies, fine whatever, people are weird.

But habanero brownies? Come on, have they no shame? They're ruining perfectly good chocolate, gorramit!
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
User avatar
GlytchMeister
 
Posts: 3521
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Chile pies, habanero pies, fine whatever, people are weird.

But habanero brownies? Come on, have they no shame? They're ruining perfectly good chocolate, gorramit!

They're just honoring tradition. Among the Aztecs, chocolātl was served as a beverage which often included hot peppers and other spices.

The addition of milk and sugar is (I gather) a nontraditional hack by Europeans who couldn't handle the real stuff.
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6258
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby FreeFlier » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Chile pies, habanero pies, fine whatever, people are weird.

But habanero brownies? Come on, have they no shame? They're ruining perfectly good chocolate, gorramit!
They're just honoring tradition. Among the Aztecs, chocolātl was served as a beverage which often included hot peppers and other spices. . . .

AFAIK it was rather "gritty" as well.

Smooth chocolate is a eurpoean invention . . . the process is called conching.

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby AmriloJim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 pm

FreeFlier wrote:AFAIK it was rather "gritty" as well.

Yup. Inside the hexagonal carton are bitter, gritty cakes.
Image
User avatar
AmriloJim
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Sgt. Howard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 pm

AmriloJim wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:AFAIK it was rather "gritty" as well.

Yup. Inside the hexagonal carton are bitter, gritty cakes.
Image



Delightful when you grind up a 6th of a cake in a cup of coffee
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
User avatar
Sgt. Howard
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Malott, Washington

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Just Old Al » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:41 am

I have GOT to get me some of that. Need to look on the shelves at the local market that caters to the Hisanic trade - they have lots of goodies of that nature.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
User avatar
Just Old Al
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 am
Location: Wilderness of Massachusetts

Re: Coffee for Three

Postby Sgt. Howard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 am

Just Old Al wrote:I have GOT to get me some of that. Need to look on the shelves at the local market that caters to the Hisanic trade - they have lots of goodies of that nature.

It's actually pretty common- if there's a Hispanic section, it will be there... otherwise, look where they have the bakeable chocolates.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
User avatar
Sgt. Howard
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Malott, Washington

PreviousNext

Return to Wapsi Square Fan Art

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron