Trespass Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Trespass Comments Section

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:His accent slips in and out, depending on emotion and seriousness of the situation.
Yeah. I'm working without a net here, commenting while I'm missing out on the character's mid-story (I recall the early stuff, but am remiss on most recent entries...).

Good stuff though!
Thanks for the feedback on that. Say it in your head and it will be legible. To be honest, I think expressing it that way started in the story where Smokey's uncle Briggs comes to visit - he spoke as such, as does Sarge when excited/attempting to be amusing/under stress.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Re: Chapter 13.

Damn.

That is all.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:Re: Chapter 13.

Damn.

That is all.
It ain't done yet. Hang onto your shorts, this is gonna be a good ride.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:His accent slips in and out, depending on emotion and seriousness of the situation.
Yeah. I'm working without a net here, commenting while I'm missing out on the character's mid-story (I recall the early stuff, but am remiss on most recent entries...).

Good stuff though!
Thanks for the feedback on that. Say it in your head and it will be legible. To be honest, I think expressing it that way started in the story where Smokey's uncle Briggs comes to visit - he spoke as such, as does Sarge when excited/attempting to be amusing/under stress.
I naturally slip in and out of a broad, Appalachian Tennessee drawl on a normal basis- sometimes I am aware of it. When I get real exited, it becomes near indecipherable. The other extreme is when I slip in and out of German.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Should we be worried, that Greg has an ahdear? :shock:
Only if you're dumb enough to be on the receiving end.
He's not a second lieutenant, though he is a manager . . .

--FreeFlier
A Second Lt with an idea is a potential catastrophe- I was a Sergeant. A Sergeant with an idea is usually what turns the battle.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Chapter 13, indeed.

I'm all caught up, to that point anyway. daaayam.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Oh my . . .

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That last bit might have a bigger punch reading like this:

“Hayll, NOW whut?”

Even through the trees and the washout effect of the firestorm, John's enormous heat shone brightly... And then it shot off in a random direction before coming to a rest and cooling until his heat was no longer visible.

"Uh... Al... We might have ourselves a problem..."

The firestorm began to lose intensity, and the fire whirl sputtered and died.

"John jus' went down."
Just a suggestion.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:*le snip*

Just a suggestion.
Jus' hole onta yer cheese wheels a minnit kiddo. Thar be a method to our madness, trust me... ;)
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Waiting with bated breath, then... ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Waiting with bated breath, then... ;)
Me... well, I'm waiting with baited breath. Just finished a tuna-salad-on-bagel.

This story is as much of a cliffhanger special as the old Buck Rodgers SF serials in the theaters, back before I was born. :shock: :) Good stuff, guys!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Complete aside from the main storyline, but I HAD to do this:

---

I had been having trouble sleeping all that week. Months of constant ordering - tied with the revelation that Dusty had quit to take a job with MIB, based out of Wausau instead of up at the institution - were taking their toll on my sleep patterns.

My retirement date can't come soon enough, was my thought as I got back into bed for like the third time.

I was starting to doze off when I heard this loud, echoing BOOOOOM coming from somewhere outside. I sat straight up in bed, quickly put some clothing on, and ran off to the living room. My cat ran past me and into the bedroom, hiding under the footboard of the bed.

"What the heck..." I said, peeking out the patio window. I looked around the courtyard, then - after a moment - saw the smoke coming from the distance, off to the northeast.

"Oh my God, " I uttered. I quickly turned on the TV - the cable was on blue screen, showing "ONE MOMENT This channel will be available shortly." Rolling my eyes, the only thing I could think to do was grab my cell phone...

That was when the ground shook. I'd never remembered being in an earthquake before, but this one was unsettling. A few of the things on our entertainment center started to shake, then the decorative shelves on the walls started to spew their contents.

I managed to grab some of the stuff, then put it on the couch - feeling a bit like a drunken sailor as I tried to navigate the room. Then, after a few seconds - it stopped.

"Damn. What the hell was THAT?"

I had my cell phone still in hand. I quickly brought up Sarah, hoping that the cell towers hadn't been knocked down, too.

I got lucky. The phone connected, and I heard the surprised voice of my wife on the other end of the line - with a bunch of wailing kids in the background.

"Hello? Joe?"

"Sarah! Are you all right? What the hell was that?"

"I... I don't know... I was on break, and I stepped outside - Yes, Dolly, everyone's here - I think they're all going to need changing after that - but, uh, all I saw was that plume of smoke, way in the distance. And that earthquake - if that's what it's like to live in California..."

"Trust me, I don't want to live in California," I said, surveying the living room. Things looked like they were intact. "The cable's out; not sure if I can get online. I'll see if I can find out what happened."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later - love you, take care."

"Love you too - bye..."

I tapped off the iPhone quickly, then thought for a moment. Cable's out, so that means internet is out... welp, I hate to dip into our data plan, but this is kinda important...

I swiped around a bit on my phone, enabling cellular data, then opening Firefox. I clicked on the Google box, then in the search I entered "explosion northern Wisconsin".

Nothing came up immediately, but then I got a news hit: "EXPLOSION ROCKS UPPER PENINSULA, PARTS OF OTTAWA NATIONAL FOREST INCINERATED."

I looked down at the screen, then my eyes narrowed. I pursed my lips, then clicked Firefox off with the home button.

I tapped open my contacts, swiped down to the "M" listing, and tapped on an entry - and the "call" button.

The phone rang. Twice, three times.

"McBride - what the hell are you doing up, Joe?"

"You tell me. What the hell was that explosion?"

"Wait a minute - you felt that? All the way down in Merrill?"

"Damn straight. Felt like an earthquake here for a second or two. What happened, Al and Sarge use too much dynamite again?"

"I dunno... We've been fielding all sorts of calls from Michigan and Wisconsin - and I think we've seen a few in Ontario, too... Uh, lemme get back to you..."

"You better..." I added - even as she hung up on me.

Fortunately, I was no worse for the wear. But, if there was an explosion, and it was that far away...

I ran to my computer, ostensibly to see if the internet was back on (it didn't seem like it just yet) but more to pull up Maps in WindozeX. That wasn't working, so I dug in to my old copy of Streets and Trips. Doing some finagling, I realized it was roughly a two-hour drive away to the heart of the Ottawa National Forest in the UP.

Ouch... Whatever it was that they blew up - and I knew for a fact the "they" were probably someone involved with the redneck and the Brit - they "blew it up done good."

Hopefully that didn't cause the kids at work to go ape-shit again...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Wolf-who-watches wrote:ImageImageImage

Old evil . . . very old, very strong . . . He-who-is-the-fire did well!

ImageImageImage
This one must tell the The-Silver-Hand-of-the-High-King!
. . .

Excuse us a moment . . .

O-kay . . . apparently she is required to report anything like this to higher authority for review and follow-up.

OTOH, if it gets more heavies to make sure it's well and truly dead . . . :?

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Dismayed to hear that Clara has become "collateral damage." C'est la guerre.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AmriloJim wrote:Dismayed to hear that Clara has become "collateral damage." C'est la guerre.
Clara got out when they got out. The equipment trailer and all of the tooling and such did not.

She is alive and well, perhaps a bit singed and needing another go by the mages for being in that area, but still alive and well.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...The irony is that my internet really did go down shortly after I posted that... :shock: :o :?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:...The irony is that my internet really did go down shortly after I posted that... :shock: :o :?
I won't confirm or deny if I had anything to do with that, via twitchy explosives, hideous acids, or technological shenanigans...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...The irony is that my internet really did go down shortly after I posted that... :shock: :o :?
I won't confirm or deny if I had anything to do with that, via twitchy explosives, hideous acids, or technological shenanigans...
If YOU had his computer would have caught fire. Some of us are more subtle...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Just Old Al wrote:Clara got out when they got out. The equipment trailer and all of the tooling and such did not.
Didn't stop to think she'd be your escape route.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:Dismayed to hear that Clara has become "collateral damage." C'est la guerre.
Clara got out when they got out. The equipment trailer and all of the tooling and such did not.

She is alive and well, perhaps a bit singed and needing another go by the mages for being in that area, but still alive and well.
Place this in your mental timeline sometime after they get home. --Dinky

The phone rang with what started as the usual ringing, then soon became a deafening clanging that overtook his usual ringtone.

Al continued studiously trying to ignore it until it stopped.

Seconds later, he clapped his hands over his head as a loud booming baritone-in-brogue sang through his mind.

"Ye simpleton! Manky Sassanach! Answer yer damned phone ye lack-a-wit!"

"I was told to rest and recharge, ignore everything but my dam, by you no less, and that was precisely what I was doing!" He mind-shouted in return.

"Where did ye park that tin-foil abomination of yers?" Fergus continued on as though he hadn't heard.

Ignoring the wind-up, he replied, "Clara is fine, thanks for asking. She's far away from everything, stowed in a nice, quiet rental unit until everyone involved has had a chance to recover. I'm not as dim as ye seem to think me. Now go on, off with ye, the sheep are bleating for ye."

Spluttering, he answered with a laugh, "Fair enough. I had that one coming. Should have known you would stick to your training. After all, I am a great instructor.

Keep drinking those tisane Aurum made Ailean, and make sure John is too. We'll all be up to smudge the house and yer bonnie Clara as soon as we're set, and see if we can help yon firestarter recover faster too."

"Will do."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir