Trespass Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Trespass Comments Section

Post by jwhouk »

John vs. Safyr in sparring. That's going to be interesting.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:And that, as they say, is all they wrote.
And a fine writ was wrote, and (speaking for myself) much pleasure had in the reading thereof.

It's good to see these varied characters interact and grow. One hopes this won't be the last we read of them, as they grow and walk their paths (either with or without hanky-panky). So very much of growing up (or young) isn't about learning what we didn't know... it's unlearning what we did know, that just ain't really as true as we had believed.

(There is, of course, the usual concern about collateral damage. If they ever run into anything nastier than a wendigo... well, as Wesley put it, "Rand-McNally has to rewrite their maps.")
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TO: al@richerengineering.com
SUBJECT: Armored Personnel Carrier

Al,

A little birdie (okay, my sister-in-law) told me you were looking for something in an APC, like the M113.

I only have this to ask you: have you even BOTHERED to walk through the AHI Museum? Godssake, man, grandpa Crowbar got the WWII contract for those things for AHI back in 1942! Obviously we don't continue to make them, but our variant (the MC-091) is large enough to carry ten men - or four centaurs - along with their driver and navigator.

Really. Next time, just ask me. I could probably track down the blueprints, whip up a plan, get the boys in the skunkworks to build an updated one for you.

Tell the gang at Building 2 I said hello.

Cal
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

If you happen to also want it to fly, shoot laser lightning, and be a mobile unnatural disaster looking for a place and opportunity to happen, take those blueprints and tell Glytch to have some fun.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
And a fine writ was wrote, and (speaking for myself) much pleasure had in the reading thereof.

It's good to see these varied characters interact and grow. One hopes this won't be the last we read of them, as they grow and walk their paths (either with or without hanky-panky). So very much of growing up (or young) isn't about learning what we didn't know... it's unlearning what we did know, that just ain't really as true as we had believed.

(There is, of course, the usual concern about collateral damage. If they ever run into anything nastier than a wendigo... well, as Wesley put it, "Rand-McNally has to rewrite their maps.")
Hanky-Panky? What, John and Safyr?

O.o

I. Uh. Well. Hmm. Umm.

You ever heard an idea too crazy to have thought of it yourself? Yeah, doesn't happen that often for me. This idea is also one of those things where my brain is looking at it and going "well shit, it's so crazy it might work."

Problem is I can't really tell if this is indeed the case.

...Dinky? I need a stable and reasonable person to look at this idea. Do you know anyone like that? No? Dreadfully boring people, aren't they?
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:FROM: calvinalexander@ahiresearch.com
TO: al@richerengineering.com

Al,

A little birdie (okay, my sister-in-law) told me you were looking for something in an APC, like the M113.

I only have this to ask you: have you even BOTHERED to walk through the AHI Museum? Godssake, man, grandpa Crowbar got the WWII contract for those things for AHI back in 1942! Obviously we don't continue to make them, but our variant (the MC-091) is large enough to carry ten men - or four centaurs - along with their driver and navigator.

Really. Next time, just ask me. I could probably track down the blueprints, whip up a plan, get the boys in the skunkworks to build an updated one for you. . . .
In WWII, it most likely would have been a half-track, probably a M2 or M3 built under license . . . could have been a Universal carrier built for the UK, but the description doesn't match.

Interesting . . . I don't think she needed to report that after all, though there's no harm in being certain . . .
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Image Image Image

This one did not expect Themselves!
No . . .

That would seem to establish John's bona-fides . . . firmly.

--FreeFlier
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

Hanky-Panky? What, John and Safyr?

O.o

I. Uh. Well. Hmm. Umm.

You ever heard an idea too crazy to have thought of it yourself? Yeah, doesn't happen that often for me. This idea is also one of those things where my brain is looking at it and going "well shit, it's so crazy it might work."

Problem is I can't really tell if this is indeed the case.

...Dinky? I need a stable and reasonable person to look at this idea. Do you know anyone like that? No? Dreadfully boring people, aren't they?
I think she's a bit too enamoured with her usual sparring partner.

Not sure yet how she'd feel about burn scarring.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote: Interesting . . . I don't think she needed to report that after all, though there's no harm in being certain . . .
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Image Image Image

This one did not expect Themselves!
No . . .

That would seem to establish John's bona-fides . . . firmly.

--FreeFlier

Indeed. Al was quite right when he said that one doesn't normally have a manifestation of the forces of Nature pop in to give one a pat on the head. Not a bad thing even if it's a boot in the trousers to straighten one up and not a pat on the head, but a bit...jarring.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote: Hanky-Panky? What, John and Safyr?

O.o

I. Uh. Well. Hmm. Umm.

Yah, no. Hence the lat comments about "No touchy-feely". Opposites attracting and all that, but...no. That is simultaneously:
1. Way past my pay grade,
2. Way past the board's propriety level,
3. strangely interesting but only from geostationary orbit.

Tongue firmly implanted in cheek, Alan
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Al,

Really. Next time, just ask me. I could probably track down the blueprints, whip up a plan, get the boys in the skunkworks to build an updated one for you.

Tell the gang at Building 2 I said hello.

Cal
TO: calvinalexander@ahiresearch.com

Cal, as always lovely to hear from you. I do need to get over some evening and spend more time with that car collection of yours - and between you and I we need to find a way to make that double-turbo DeLorean of yours street-legal - just to twit my son-in-law.

In reference to the APC, I am well aware of the company's history and present output, and were I going to want anything thoroughly serious for the job I might well do exactly as you suggest. More likely, however, I'd buy hull of an M113 and refit it with AHI running gear - armor is armor but I want a powertrain at my back I KNOW will be up to the task. Anyway, the thought of an APC was sheer fancy - it's not long ranged enough or quite fast enough to do what I presently do with my ambulance.

In any case, we do need to get together, either here at the House or there.

Yours, Al.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just FYI:

Trespass was posted here from September 12 to September 21 - 10 days. Between the story thread and the comments thread, we currently have six pages of posts.

Over in the writers' forum, the dedicated thread was started on May 4. It runs 42 pages. And there was probably some preliminary discussion in some other thread. Granted, not all of the 42 pages was strictly related to this story - we make fun of each other, discuss the boundaries of one story and possible spinoffs of others, comment on coincidentally-relevant real-world stuff...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:Just FYI:

Trespass was posted here from September 12 to September 21 - 10 days. Between the story thread and the comments thread, we currently have six pages of posts.
"Eight, sire. Five is right out."

(six pages here and two in the story thread)

So, what are the chances that we might be blessed by the appearance of a Blooper Reel... some of the bits that didn't make the cut, or ones where the characters exhibited a mind of their own and started to head off towards Tumbolia and had to be manhandled back into the agreed-upon storyline? That side-arc where Glytch showed up on an inflatable fly-cycle and insisted that sufficiently-large amounts of antimatter could make short work of a wendigo? :twisted:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:

So, what are the chances that we might be blessed by the appearance of a Blooper Reel... some of the bits that didn't make the cut, or ones where the characters exhibited a mind of their own and started to head off towards Tumbolia and had to be manhandled back into the agreed-upon storyline? That side-arc where Glytch showed up on an inflatable fly-cycle and insisted that sufficiently-large amounts of antimatter could make short work of a wendigo? :twisted:
NO YOU DON'T KNOW THE FORCES YOU'RE PLAYING W...

Aw, nuts. Now you've done it. Expect something from Chicgeek in the near future, I think...
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

NO YOU DON'T KNOW THE FORCES YOU'RE PLAYING W...

Aw, nuts. Now you've done it. Expect something from Chicgeek in the near future, I think...
...some doors you do NOT want to open...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

BWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

TOO LATE!

CHICGEEK, FIRE WHEN READY!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: So, what are the chances that we might be blessed by the appearance of a Blooper Reel... some of the bits that didn't make the cut, or ones where the characters exhibited a mind of their own and started to head off towards Tumbolia and had to be manhandled back into the agreed-upon storyline? That side-arc where Glytch showed up on an inflatable fly-cycle and insisted that sufficiently-large amounts of antimatter could make short work of a wendigo? :twisted:
Surprisingly, there's not much of that that I remember. A lot of the discussion revolved around dialogue and cat herding - the first being one author blanking out a scenario and then the others 'filing in the blanks' of what their characters would say.

A good portion was two authors approaching a scenario from opposite directions - then applying Elmer's Dialogue Glue to pull it together. A good part of the work around John and Ialin was like that - bits and pieces that were carefully quilted together to create a coherent dialogue. Al and Ialin nearly lost their friendship in an early revision of that due to my writing when down - thankfully Dinky saved them from themselves with some skillful surgery.

Some of it was "I have NO flogging idea how to say this - what now?" and again the other authors jumping in to help - at least one of those was mine when I was figuring out the arrival. Shneekey The Lost was on that one - he rescripted it and put the proper level of foreboding in it - I had overblown it.

Early on Glytch decided he was Not Coming Along despite Al's entreaties and waving steaks at him. Then it was John making rude noises about wimpy scientists and dismissing him, and we moved on.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

One for Dave from the commentary/development process:

Was thinking about the poor trees in that area. They had little insulation against what happened to them, sentient or not.

You might say is was a low-R Ent district.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I know I have at least one post over there that would be a candidate for a "scene that was suggested but didn't happen that way" thread... it got a laugh out of Sarge...

... but it's for a story that I'm pretty sure hasn't been even described, let alone begun posting, over here so far.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

AL, THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!
I mentioned a Disney version, and then he DARED me to write one.

Billy Bushytale was frolicking in the forest when the Wendigo arrived. Mama and Papa Bushytale were chittering in their nest. "But everyone else has left! Even old Slowpoke the turtle. I tell you, we aren't safe here." Papa huffed and fluffed his whiskers. "Now, Mama, the Bushytales have lived in this tree for generations. We'll hunker down and wait. That big bad monster will move on, everyone will come back, just you see."
Suddenly, the sky darkened, and thunder rumbled ominously. Billy was rushing home, when...it happened. A crack of lightning outlining the hideous creature, screams of terror. He cowered in an abandoned rabbit hole, wet and shivering, the rest of the night.
Time passes
"Pow! Pow!" The rickety old truck backfired, belching smoke. A grizzled old man leans out the window, spits his chaw of tobaccy. "Gol durn it, whut kind'uv gosh darned forsaken place is this? Hain't seen a gloomier patch o'woods in all my born days."
An equally old man is fumbling with a map. "Buck up, old fellow! You aren't going to let an overcast day bring you down, are you? This is where we'll find the old mill. And we'll soon have things set to rights!" Stepping briskly down from the cab, he whistles while heaping together sticks for a fire. A magic wand is produced, and waved theatrically. "Balla bim, balla boo!" A puff of smoke has him wheezing, but all that happens is his waistcoat gaining polka dots. "Oh, bother! Johnny, if you'd be so kind?"
"Sure thing, Pops!" The tall youth puffs at the ragged pile of sticks, and a merry fire is soon blazing.
(Cue backstory, 2 oldsters bickering, the young helpful fire mage in training and his mentors. Cue a jolly song around the campfire. A howl spliiting the night. Billy Bushytale befriending Johnny.)
Do I have to go on, Al? This can get sooo much worse. *evil grin*
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Billy Bushytale befriending Johnny.
Is Billy perhaps related to Mrs. Nibbly from Twokinds?

(She's a squirrel who spontaneously adopted a wolf and his friends - 3.5 humans and another .5 wolf, later acquiring yet another wolf. There is, to date, no explanation of why this particular prey animal is so casual about large predators. And no suggestion that squirrels are normally sapient, either.)