Trespass Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Trespass Comments Section

Post by AmriloJim »

"Right place": (long joke condensed to setup and punch):
"$10K to fix the machine? All you did was one light hammer tap!"
"Fine, here's the itemized version: Hammer tap, $10. Knowing where to tap, $9,990."

Also noticed this tale gives a whole 'nother meaning to the "'til death do us part" vow.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:The right bullet in the right place at the right time can make quite a difference.
Yup. Although, if it were me (as I have little experience with firearms) I'd probably use a high-velocity deep-frozen chicken.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:...any comments on the story? Reactions, emotions, anything like that? . . .
Well done . . . Someone has gone shadow, so I think think she's giving it the full hackles-up.
Wolf-who-watches wrote:One does not like those things. One really does not like them. And they taste very bad - they cannot be eaten.

But they burn well.
Hmmm . . . I wonder how well a flamethrower would work?
Wolf-who-watches wrote:That smells almost as bad as hunger-pain-feeder . . . balefire works better, and does not stink.

Nightbird, this is Bird <Dog> . . . <target> there!

)()()()()()()(
. . . She pointed like a hunting dog.

Just what I needed . . . a wiseacre wolf.

But . . . if you faced one of these before . . . um. One does not understand how to best hunt wendigo.
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Do not face it. Forest-hunger-pain-feeder stinks . . . especially when wounded. Even a two-legs can scent it. And the one we hunted hunted by sight . . . it did not see well in the dark.

This one sees well in the dark. And Calls-the-fire is shapewise.
He favors the owl . . . So. The night opened and it rained fire. Balefire.
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Forest-hunger-pain-feeder burned well. /noselick/
. . . Kill it! Kill it with fire!

It will be interesting to see what our intrepid trio do with it.

One question, though . . . how did the plant they're rebuilding get built in the first place, and then run for years with the wendigo here? Robber barons would notice if one of them went missing . . .

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:One question, though . . . how did the plant they're rebuilding get built in the first place, and then run for years with the wendigo here? Robber barons would notice if one of them went missing . . .
If the place had been around for a century or more... well, review the business and labor practices of the robber barons who built industry and the railroads back in the latter part of the 1800s. A lot of them simply didn't care at all about how many of the laborers working on their projects died on the job, or what they died from (unless the numbers got so high that a cover-up was called for to avoid unpleasant publicity). Workers were fungible and disposable. Responsibility for their wellbeing was often not a concern.

Labor unions were started for a bunch of reasons that were very important to the workers involved. Money wasn't necessarily the first priority. Survival and safety were. And, a lot of the robber barons were quite willing to use what amounted to private armies (eg Pinkerton thugs) to break strikes and destroy unions and their organizers.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Last time I read a story with a Wendigo in it, it ended up battling the incredible Hulk... (Wow: Wikipedia says: "The Incredible Hulk #162 (April 1973)" I'm not getting any younger...)

It ended up being a draw, if I recall...

I remember drawing a Wendigo and a Hulk on back-of-notepad cardboard, coloring them, cutting them out, and playing with them... (a poorman's version of action figures...)

This story here is quite the interesting setup. So many questions, starting with the "coincidence" of the Suits contracting this particular team... Purposely? "Luck" of the draw?

I like how the Wendigo describes older bullet wounds (small round ones, not very dangerous...) It's obviously been around a while...

It also looks like Al has really been coming into his own, on the mage stuff... (Don't particularly care about this kind of magic stuff, but I admit,it is well written...)
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Al has indeed come in to his own.
You think Greg and John will ever let themselves quit getting suckered into joning Al for perfectly ordinary trips? :P
I love the sheer menace of this monster. "If you go out in the woods today, you're sure of a big suprise..."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Oh, come on! It's just a small engineering job... what's the worst that can happen? :mrgreen:
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:One question, though . . . how did the plant they're rebuilding get built in the first place, and then run for years with the wendigo here? Robber barons would notice if one of them went missing . . .
My thought was that the place was built a short distance outside the wendigo's hunting grounds...

... and then the wendigo expanded its hunting grounds.

That could also explain why the campground went broke and closed.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...I don't remember typing that... :P
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:...I don't remember typing that... :P
Might I suggest a recent post in the Main Pub Room forum... :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Should we be worried, that Grag has an ahdear? :shock:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Dance like no one cares for your dancing." - Cuddow, Drive (the webcomic)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:Should we be worried, that Greg has an ahdear? :shock:
Only if you're dumb enough to be on the receiving end.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:
He's not a second lieutenant, though he is a manager . . .

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
He's not a second lieutenant, though he is a manager . . .
No evidence he's in Marketing, though. Marketing people with bright ideas are one of the three classes of Most Dangerous People In Existence.

The others are "hardware engineers with access to a C compiler" and "software engineers with soldering irons".

(I'm in the third class, by the way. Just picked up a surplus power supply which will deliver 5000 volts at several milliamps... something out of an ion chamber or photomuliplier experiment I suspect. Now, I need a robust cage to keep it in... I'm scared to power it up. Treated with inadequate respect it could easily be lethal.)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

A second lieutenant with a map, a manager with an Idea, and marketing people . . .

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: The others are "hardware engineers with access to a C compiler" and "software engineers with soldering irons".

(I'm in the third class, by the way. Just picked up a surplus power supply which will deliver 5000 volts at several milliamps... something out of an ion chamber or photomuliplier experiment I suspect. Now, I need a robust cage to keep it in... I'm scared to power it up. Treated with inadequate respect it could easily be lethal.)
You need a plastic block with two bits of welding rod protruding from it in a V shape. Hook up the supply to that and turn the supply on/off from a light switch outlet (remote switch)

I can watch Jacob's Ladders all day.

Yes, that can be lethal, but common sense is a good guide as well as a healthy respect. Had a close encounter with 25 Kv once - don't EVER want to do that again.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I haven't gotten through the most recent entry, & I'm waaaay behind in my 'catch-em-up' plan as far as FanArt is concerned, but I rise to mention in feedback mode that one of the characters (Greg maybe?) seems to suddenly have slipped into a very heavy accented English and it's hard to read.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of the brogue as things move along, esp if the rules of style remain constant, but I though it a bit odd, mechanically, to seemingly come from nowhere...

Otherwise, great story.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:I haven't gotten through the most recent entry, & I'm waaaay behind in my 'catch-em-up' plan as far as FanArt is concerned, but I rise to mention in feedback mode that one of the characters (Greg maybe?) seems to suddenly have slipped into a very heavy accented English and it's hard to read.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of the brogue as things move along, esp if the rules of style remain constant, but I though it a bit odd, mechanically, to seemingly come from nowhere...

Otherwise, great story.
His accent slips in and out, depending on emotion and seriousness of the situation.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:His accent slips in and out, depending on emotion and seriousness of the situation.
Yeah. I'm working without a net here, commenting while I'm missing out on the character's mid-story (I recall the early stuff, but am remiss on most recent entries...).

Good stuff though!