Cuban Conundrum Comments section:

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Cuban Conundrum Comments section:

Post by Just Old Al »

Speak as you will... -Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Re: Cuban Conundrum Comments section:

Post by Dave »

an old pair of canvass Hiking boots
Shame on Greg. There's only one surviving species of canv on the planet these days, they're considered to be "threatened", and as I recall they're a CITES-listed species. Using their leather to make hiking boots (and, for that matter, being so selective about which part of the leather is used) is really Not Quite Right. :P

Glytch was getting frustrated. He thought he had managed to synthesize an exciting new molecule - a nitrogen fullerene, N20, with a multitude of nitro groups hanging off of it... from pentazole ions and 99% hydrogen peroxide.
One of the few people around, to whom saying "This molecule needs more nitrogen" always seems to make sense. :shock:

"I don’t know about you, but one exploding spectrometer is generally enough to make recognize a motion to adjourn for the day. " (Derek Lowe)
Last edited by Dave on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Oh my . . . all the ways they invited catastrophe . . . .

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote:Oh my . . . all the ways they invited catastrophe . . . .

--FreeFlier
Come on! Three guys just out for a respite from a cold Northern Winter. Lemonade, lunch, a bit of time soaking up the sun. Simple, no?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Simple, NO!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:Simple, NO!
"Hey, guys... here, hold my Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, and watch this!"
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:
Once, on a forum that ceased operation so long ago its ghost could run for President, in a role-playing thread someone ordered a PGGB.

I proceeded to write a description of a flying saucer carefully lifting the roof off the building, tilting the guy's head back, and blasting some sort of beam down his throat.

Then the flying saucer carefully and precisely replaced the roof and flew off into the stars...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
Dave wrote:
Once, on a forum that ceased operation so long ago its ghost could run for President, in a role-playing thread someone ordered a PGGB.

I proceeded to write a description of a flying saucer carefully lifting the roof off the building, tilting the guy's head back, and blasting some sort of beam down his throat.

Then the flying saucer carefully and precisely replaced the roof and flew off into the stars...
Sounds like something that would have happened on the CRFH board . . .

And the latest installment is promising . . . who is taking an interest?

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:Sounds like something that would have happened on the CRFH board . . .
That was my first thought, as well (even though I didn't go on the role playing side of the forum, much...)
FreeFlier wrote:And the latest installment is promising . . .
You know, that is just so predictably... unpredictable...

I.e. something was bound to happen, but you never know what... Together, they're more than a mere "trouble magnet"... they're their own trouble gravity well! :lol:
FreeFlier wrote:who is taking an interest?
Well, I, for one, sure am... Oh, sorry, you weren't talking about just reading the fic, were you... ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bravo! Bravo!

I'd toss a few coins into the old Panama hat, but I'm not there, am I... :D

Just Old Al wrote:One more iteration would see them at the gates of the Embassy, and a call to Brandi would get them out (and a tongue-lashing for being stupid, as well).
Why do I get the feeling that it won't be this simple... :P

By the way, I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that Murray's name was actually Harvey... :mrgreen:

Oh, and is there anywhere that Al can go, without his past catching up to him? :roll: :lol:
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote: By the way, I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that Murray's name was actually Harvey... :mrgreen:
Lepus Paranormalis Harvey - also known as your garden variety were-rabbit.

Murray was Dinky's idea IIRC - she came up with a legend where the rabbit asked Papa Dios to make him big - so he was sent off on a series of quests. Unfortunately, it ended up being one piece at a time...ears, feet and so on.

I am the twisted individual who characterized him...

Thing is - and to explain the accent - Murray's parents moved to NYC when he was a kid. After he grew up, he moved back down to Havana to get back in touch with family - and was there when Batista was overthrown and the present regime took over. He's older than he looks...by a long shot.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

It's going to take all of Al's self-control to keep from showing even a hint of a smile when he hears the public safety sirens.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Glytch and Sarge looked at each other, their dangerous grins reflecting one another. "Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?"
"Yup... but how are we going to get ahold of three ocelots and a tuba at this time of the day?"
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Glytch and Sarge looked at each other, their dangerous grins reflecting one another. "Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?"
"Yup... but how are we going to get ahold of three ocelots and a tuba at this time of the day?"
This was discussed in the writing process, I recall...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:
This was discussed in the writing process, I recall...
Actually, it was a tub of lard, a sack of feathers and a rubber chicken... oh, and a toilet plunger...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

*pshew*

Honor is satisfied, in more senses than one. I think Al made a good decision (and one hopes it doesn't turn out to be costly in the long run).
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow, I thought there were gonna be more pitchforks and torches over that cliffhanger.

Maybe everyone was holding their breath?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:Wow, I thought there were gonna be more pitchforks and torches over that cliffhanger.

Maybe everyone was holding their breath?
I must confess to being utterly disappointed at the lack of "BURN THE WITCH!!!!" over that cliffhanger. Sad. Truly sad waste of a good cliffhanger.

As far as it goes, though - Al could easily have done for Vladimir - but it would not have been right. None of his old colleagues would have wept salt tears over Vladimir, but the damage to Al's soul and his relationships with the Other Realm crowd would have been irreperable.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Speaking for myself... I was definitely breath-holding. I didn't think that Al would croak the guy... but old reflexes and long habits and stored anger can certainly get ahead of the better angels of our nature.
I must confess to being utterly disappointed at the lack of "BURN THE WITCH!!!!" over that cliffhanger. Sad. Truly sad waste of a good cliffhanger.
Your own fault, my friend. You didn't provide a set of scales, and although you did mention a duck there wasn't one actually available to put on the scales that weren't provided. How can we burn a witch if we can't weigh her properly to see if she'll float?

You did, however, provide a Fair Cop. Gotta give you that.
Opening the doors and exiting, all three looked at Billens, his expression if possible even stormier.

"Inside."
Oh, it's time for a nice episode of Dancing With The Stars. I can hear the music playing already.

It's the Bosso Nova.