Aluminium Angel Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Aluminium Angel Comments Section

Post by Just Old Al »

If you want to comment on the story, or ask questions or the like please do it here.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Re: Aluminium Angel Comments Section

Post by Dave »

OK, here – he’s calling out a new chassis instead of fixing and modifying the old one for the new configuration. Wonder why?” Sterling pointed to a line in the list of suggested new assemblies.
That was my first "wonder" too. With the chassis and doors being replaced by new, and the whole powertrain coming from the donor, a new wiring harness, and all the wear parts replaced... what's left of the original? Just the body frame and sheet metal, and those high-end axles? The VIN plate, to give it a legal identity?

It feels a bit like a California major remodeling: tear down the house completely except for one or two of the load-bearing walls, and build a new house around those walls. Since it's a "revision of an existing structure" it doesn't trigger a re-assessment of the home's value for tax purposes under Proposition 13 rules, while completely removing the old house and building a new one would (and if it had been a few decades since the property was last sold, the assessed value and the property tax would soar).
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: That was my first "wonder" too. With the chassis and doors being replaced by new, and the whole powertrain coming from the donor, a new wiring harness, and all the wear parts replaced... what's left of the original? Just the body frame and sheet metal, and those high-end axles? The VIN plate, to give it a legal identity?
You are not all that far off, and VERY good question!

First and foremost, the chassis on this could have been modified, then galvanized and you would have ended up in basically the same place once you also repaired/replaced things like the outriggers and the rear crossmember. It's a matter of bang for the buck - a new, purpose-built chassis for that drivetrain is a phone call away and is all new steel galvanized and all. The difference between the labour and parts and galvanizing and a new chassis would have been minimal and speaking from experience not worth the effort.

Al was essentially buying piles of parts - two donors, neither of which were going to be used in full. The D1 was going to provide drivetrain and high-end systems, and the D-90 a body, bulkhead, ancillaries, axles and most important a legal identity.

The door swap is for 'modern creature comforts' as Al would call them. The doors on an ex-MOD D-90 are old school - removable window sections with sliding windows and a single-skin door. The ones being fitted are modern passenger car doors with roll-up windows and provision for things like central locking if desired.

None of it will go to waste, believe me. That D-90s drivetrain and other bits will be recycled and used elsewhere, and all the body bits from the D1 are not hard to find homes for if at all usable.

Al is a firm believer in reuse - why recycle? :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I am holding my tongue until the appropriate time. :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:I am holding my tongue until the appropriate time. :)
Shuddup you and I mean it....
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: . . . It feels a bit like a California major remodeling: tear down the house completely except for one or two of the load-bearing walls, and build a new house around those walls. Since it's a "revision of an existing structure" it doesn't trigger a re-assessment of the home's value for tax purposes under Proposition 13 rules, while completely removing the old house and building a new one would (and if it had been a few decades since the property was last sold, the assessed value and the property tax would soar).
Here that's done so you don't have to meet revised laws/codes . . . in one case that I knew of, a new build would have required ten-foot setbacks (from the property lines) not the two foot that it was built to . . . so the (desirable) lot would have dropped below buildable minimums.

Instead the owner replaced the roof and side walls, then waited two years, jacked the walls and roof up, and replaced the floor and so-called foundation . . . another two years, and replace the rest of the walls.

The waits also allowed paying off the prior work.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just Old Al wrote:
Yessir Mr. Richer Sir.

;)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Yessir Mr. Richer Sir.

;)
Laugh it up...

Just remember, one word from me to Nudge and you're back to wandering the halls. Do you REALLY want to end up in an alley in Jersey City again?

She likes me since RE built her that Sphinx-sized whoopee cushion from a truck tyre tube. As long as Phix doesn't figure out where it came from we're all set. :)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just Old Al wrote:She likes me since RE built her that Sphinx-sized whoopee cushion from a truck tyre tube. As long as Phix doesn't figure out where it came from we're all set. :)
Do you really think it would take Phix more than 15 seconds to guess?

And if you ever committed any part of the design to paper or computer memory...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote: Do you really think it would take Phix more than 15 seconds to guess?
Do I look that stupid? That was strictly a "MacGyver Meets Skunk Works" Friday afternoon job.
We had to drop Clara's front end down onto it from a crane to set it off. We tried using a whole Toyota (think cannon fodder) but it wasn't heavy enough.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

:shock: :?

I think I'd also avoid anything that could be construed as a comment on a lady's weight . . .

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Y'know, it strikes me that a lady from Louisville wouldn't be Presbyterian, but Southern Baptist.
Dave

Post by Dave »

So, how long do we have to wait until we're allowed to understand the new garden Ecosystem, and read the name of the rose? :?
jwhouk wrote:Y'know, it strikes me that a lady from Louisville wouldn't be Presbyterian, but Southern Baptist.
The Mid-Kentucky Presbytery lists no less than 24 Presbyterian churches in Louisville alone, and another couple of dozen or so in the remainder of their area. There are two other presbyteries in the state... Transylvania (Eastern Kentucky) lists 75 churches.

That's not exactly one in every street corner, but it does seem like a pretty healthy presence in the area.

EDIT: in fact, Louisville is the location of the national headquarters of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

And, Wikipedia points out that Presbyterians are, as a group, better educated and wealthier than most other denominations, and "disproportionally represented in the upper reaches of business, law, and politics."

So, Daisy having been raised Presbyterian seems quite plausible to me.
Last edited by Dave on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:So, how long do we have to wait until we're allowed to understand the new garden Ecosystem, and read the name of the rose? :?
Look, Umberto..... :) That will be revealed at another time.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:So, how long do we have to wait until we're allowed to understand the new garden Ecosystem, and read the name of the rose? :?
jwhouk wrote:Y'know, it strikes me that a lady from Louisville wouldn't be Presbyterian, but Southern Baptist.
The Mid-Kentucky Presbytery lists no less than 24 Presbyterian churches in Louisville alone, and another couple of dozen or so in the remainder of their area. There are two other presbyteries in the state... Transylvania (Eastern Kentucky) lists 75 churches.

That's not exactly one in every street corner, but it does seem like a pretty healthy presence in the area.

EDIT: in fact, Louisville is the location of the national headquarters of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

And, Wikipedia points out that Presbyterians are, as a group, better educated and wealthier than most other denominations, and "disproportionally represented in the upper reaches of business, law, and politics."

So, Daisy having been raised Presbyterian seems quite plausible to me.
Noted and logged. Thanks.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Y'know, I'm from Louisville. Not to be presumptuous, but if anyone ever wants to pick my brain about piddly little details, feel free. ^_^
That said, I'm enjoying the story!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

chicgeek wrote:Y'know, I'm from Louisville. Not to be presumptuous, but if anyone ever wants to pick my brain about piddly little details, feel free. ^_^
{Mumble,mumble,mumble...NOW she tells me... }

:)

Thanks - duly noted and will be held in reference.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

chicgeek wrote:Y'know, I'm from Louisville. Not to be presumptuous, but if anyone ever wants to pick my brain about piddly little details, feel free. ^_^
Thanks for not totally picking apart my story about Daisy and Derby Day...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:She likes me since RE built her that Sphinx-sized whoopee cushion from a truck tyre tube. As long as Phix doesn't figure out where it came from we're all set. :)
Do you really think it would take Phix more than 15 seconds to guess?

Could have just as easily come from Glytch. Remember, he's not just a nerd. He is just as confortable rolling up his sleeves in a junkyard and tearing cars apart to reanimate a thrice-dead Stratus.

'Course, if you let him get too into it, he might have it play "God Save The Queen" with the wind.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:'Course, if you let him get too into it, he might have it play "God Save The Queen" with the wind.
Hmmm. Moving that tire into position would definitely be rollin' le petour!