Aluminium Angel Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: Aluminium Angel Comments Section

Post by DinkyInky »

Warrl wrote:I bet Uncle Fergus would get a real kick out of the recruitment pamphlet...

And Al, Sterling, Daisy(Noooo, I just don't see it. Tal has a wicked streak though), Flashburn, and Cinnamon(Aurum is Flash's brother, Cinnamon's only magic is that which the good Lord graces most young women with) would have a blast writing it...

(Feel free to form your own crew to write it. Those five would be my choice.)
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

34 tooth, straight-cut, bronze, with a broached square shaft hole…that was going to be annoying.
Worse than annoying... damned dangerous! Fergus should have warned him.

A mage in Breakthrough thinking about cutting even one tooth on a gear!? That's almost as risky as him going to a dentist.

Of course there would be consequences.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Please also note that the "O" and the "E" are joined: "œ" (I forget what that's called...)
e dans l'o or o et e collés in French, apparently. I've never heard that it has a specific name in English - it's not commonly used, and I've only ever seen it written out as a ligature in pre-20th-century texts and literature.
I actually never looked it up to see if it had a name. Interesting.

Wikipedia wrote:Another reason is that œ is absent from most French keyboards, and as a result, few people know how to input it.
That, I knew. But Libre Office will either auto-correct (if you set it up for it), or at least underline as a mistake, if you use a word with "oe" instead of "œ", which you can then correct. Provided you specified that the text you were writing was in French, of course.

It is only since running Linux, that I've learned how to type it straight in (when I remember to do so), via the, what's it called... Super(?) key (Windows users call it the Window key, I think...) Under Linux, using that key allows you to compound two characters to form a third one, like "Super, o, e" (one at a time) to form "œ", or "Super, o, o", to form the degree symbol "°" (as in, "Water freezes at 32°F", for instance), or even fractions "Super, 3, 5" to make "⅗", and so on.
On my tablet, I have all the fun ones, which is amusing when I type out things I'm used to words like anæmia, and if you don't know how to setup the keyboard to input special characters and the like, it loses the translation.
üœæçñ...loads of fun keys. It's a hold until it pops up, then depress it.

Nie irytuje Dinky. Ona potem obmyśla was jesteście mali, crunchy...I będzie potrzebować catsup wyrabiać wam smakujecie dobry.
("Do not anger the Dinky. She then thinks you are small, crunchy...and will need catsup to make you taste good.")

It's not quite flawless, but very amusing when I can get it right.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

By the way, Al, with all this recent work on Land Rover vehicles (Cinnamon's truck, Fergus' truck, the purchase of, oh, what's his name, the former Beatles guy, who sold Al his truck, which Ari picked up, and your story of driving a D90 up from down South), you are almost making me wish I had one...

Almost.

I guess you could say that most of the excuses I give myself for owning a large 4X4 in the city could work on those as well (able to help people move, able to move people - particularly for carpooling for church events, able to carry stuff around for "projects", plenty of space for family and luggage, ability to reach work in a snow storm, etc). But in a way, a LR truck would seem just a bit more of an overkill, and would also, to me, seem more of a luxury item than my 1991 Suburban. Mine seems more of a working class working truck, whereas a LR truck would seem more upper crust (again, that's to me, with my current frame of mind and possible poor-man mentality). But I certainly do like the style. Certainly more than that of their later vehicles like the Range Rover and so on... And those are definitely more upscale vehicles, too, which do not interest me in the least...

I have to admit, it would probably be neat to get to at least drive one, though (of the older ones, I mean...)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, Al, with all this recent work on Land Rover vehicles (Cinnamon's truck, Fergus' truck, the purchase of, oh, what's his name, the former Beatles guy, who sold Al his truck, which Ari picked up, and your story of driving a D90 up from down South), you are almost making me wish I had one...

Almost.
One minor correction - the Scotland bit was not me. That was JHouk, with some minor bit of technical guidance. Cinnamon's, Fergus' IIA and the Discovery I (not D90) I will take the hit on.

As far as LRs go, I've driven nothing but for over a quarter-century, mon ami. Started with a 1964 Series IIA back in the early 90s - rebuilt it and drove it for a long time as my daily driver. It's a disease. :)

Suburbans are marvelous vehicles - the big, capable beast that never stops. The other you mentiopned (the IH Scout) is another personal favourite.

However, finding a good classic Scout is impossible here in the Northeast - the tinworm has claimed them all. I expect it's much the same up your way. You will never hear me say a cross word about the old Cornbinders, though - they're great machines. Had a friend of mine who owned a Travelall - the IH equivalent of your Suburban. He love that thing, and it was a perfect truck for him, being tough, reliable and damn-near indestructable.

I will make you this offer here in front of all and sundry - you hit my neck of the woods and I would be more than happy to let you loose with one of my beasts. Hell, if you can handle a bus, one of my little toys should be trivial, no? :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, Al, with all this recent work on Land Rover vehicles (Cinnamon's truck, Fergus' truck, the purchase of, oh, what's his name, the former Beatles guy, who sold Al his truck, which Ari picked up, and your story of driving a D90 up from down South), you are almost making me wish I had one...

Almost.

I guess you could say that most of the excuses I give myself for owning a large 4X4 in the city could work on those as well (able to help people move, able to move people - particularly for carpooling for church events, able to carry stuff around for "projects", plenty of space for family and luggage, ability to reach work in a snow storm, etc). But in a way, a LR truck would seem just a bit more of an overkill, and would also, to me, seem more of a luxury item than my 1991 Suburban. Mine seems more of a working class working truck, whereas a LR truck would seem more upper crust (again, that's to me, with my current frame of mind and possible poor-man mentality). But I certainly do like the style. Certainly more than that of their later vehicles like the Range Rover and so on... And those are definitely more upscale vehicles, too, which do not interest me in the least...

I have to admit, it would probably be neat to get to at least drive one, though (of the older ones, I mean...)
My 'Burban has the leather seats and custom interior wood trim going on, it's a bit on the 'elegant' side... spooked me to hell when I discovered that the front axle had no differential.. what the thunder were they thinking? Regardless- there are AFV not near as rugged as 'the Beast' as I call it.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:

Almost.
One minor correction - the Scotland bit was not me. That was JHouk, with some minor bit of technical guidance. Cinnamon's, Fergus' IIA and the Discovery I (not D90) I will take the hit on.
Then consider the "you" to be a "collective" you, meaning all-you-authors-who-have-included-Land-Rovers-in-your-stories-so-far... :mrgreen:
Just Old Al wrote:As far as LRs go, I've driven nothing but for over a quarter-century, mon ami. Started with a 1964 Series IIA back in the early 90s - rebuilt it and drove it for a long time as my daily driver. It's a disease. :)
And I pray it's a disease you never get inoculated against, my friend! :D
Just Old Al wrote:Suburbans are marvelous vehicles - the big, capable beast that never stops. The other you mentiopned (the IH Scout) is another personal favourite.

However, finding a good classic Scout is impossible here in the Northeast - the tinworm has claimed them all. I expect it's much the same up your way. You will never hear me say a cross word about the old Cornbinders, though - they're great machines. Had a friend of mine who owned a Travelall - the IH equivalent of your Suburban. He love that thing, and it was a perfect truck for him, being tough, reliable and damn-near indestructable.
For all the modern "improvements" that are made on trucks and cars nowadays, I still think they don't make them as good as they used to. While certain safety features are nice to have, so I wouldn't go too far back in my choice of a vehicle, a lot of the "features" of newer vehicles actually make them undesirable, in my opinion...

As a "plus-size" person myself, I also find that all the "creature comfort" stuff they put in cars and trucks nowadays actually restrains and confines me. All the mouldings, the consoles, etc... It's all too cramped! I like the cleaner, simpler appearance of the older ones.
Just Old Al wrote:I will make you this offer here in front of all and sundry - you hit my neck of the woods and I would be more than happy to let you loose with one of my beasts. Hell, if you can handle a bus, one of my little toys should be trivial, no? :)
Quick! Whereabouts do you live, again? :mrgreen:

Of course, since I regularly drive the articulated busses, here (62 ft long, with a hinge two thirds down), your lovely vehicles might feel a tad small, actually... ;)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . spooked me to hell when I discovered that the front axle had no differential.. what the thunder were they thinking? . . .
Huh? How does it turn? I've driven vehicles without differentials, and they basically don't turn.

An "open center" means a differential without limited slip, not that there isn't a differential, which is the only think I can think of.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . spooked me to hell when I discovered that the front axle had no differential.. what the thunder were they thinking? . . .
Huh? How does it turn? I've driven vehicles without differentials, and they basically don't turn.

An "open center" means a differential without limited slip, not that there isn't a differential, which is the only think I can think of.

--FreeFlier
The FWD modes are to be used where a differential is not needed anyways-dirt, gravel, ice and snow. On asphalt, something is likely to break.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

The FWD modes are to be used where a differential is not needed anyways-dirt, gravel, ice and snow. On asphalt, something is likely to break.
Indeed.

So the hubs have to be out . . . that's still old-school, very old-school.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

By the way, whatever happened to Katherine's pregnancy, as started in Stainless Steel Angel?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, whatever happened to Katherine's pregnancy, as started in Stainless Steel Angel?
O_o

Holy shit, I completely forgot about that...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, whatever happened to Katherine's pregnancy, as started in Stainless Steel Angel?
O_o

Holy shit, I completely forgot about that...
It's amazing what one will find, when one re-reads fanfics... :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:It's amazing what one will find, when one re-reads fanfics... :D
Such as a pregnant pause? ;)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:It's amazing what one will find, when one re-reads fanfics... :D
Crap! I forgot about that...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:
Crap! I forgot about that...
Like I was once told, while training to be a vacuum salesman: Well then, either shit, or get off the pot! :P

(Vacuum sales never worked out for me: I tried for one month... my first meeting was a sale, but the buyer turned out to not have sufficient credit to qualify, and my only other sale was at the end of the month...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...people need credit to buy a vacuum?
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Depends on the people and the vacuum.

Some people nearly need credit to buy a candy bar.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Back in 1991, the Fairfax vacuum cleaner cost about $1800 or so, and it was customary to put it on a payment plan, hence the credit check.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:Back in 1991, the Fairfax vacuum cleaner cost about $1800 or so, and it was customary to put it on a payment plan, hence the credit check.
Holy crap, I can get a car for that much money. Not a good car, but a car.
I'm too much!