Dances With Minotaurs

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: Dances With Minotaurs

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:"Ah yes, now I recall – though I think we were all a bit preoccupied at the time." Tina interrupted their conversation by presenting them both with their drinks.

"Yours is still covered by your hubby's MIB deal," she told Sarah. "And yours, Sunshine, will be up in a minute – I need to clean out the French press."

"No hurry, Tina," Monica said with a smile.
So, she presented Monica with her drink before it was made?

I knew that demons were essentially time-less beings, but I hadn't realize that Tina was dabbling in para-dimensional time flows again. :?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

STOP! Before you read this part, go back and read the dance scene at the Reunion party.

Done? Good, now proceed:

---

Monday morning after the anniversary party at the Alexanders, Phix was going about her morning routine – checking out the latest works, making some tea for herself, seeing Neil and her little off (Aeternia to her day care, Neil to Gryphon High). She heard the soft motion of the transport system arriving at the end of one of the stacks, and its chime – one that only the Sphinx could hear – announced a visitor. A brief sniff verified who it was, and a smile came to her face.

"Hello, Sarah," she said without looking up from her tea making procedure. "I thought you normally work this time of day?"

"I was sent home due to numbers," she announced, a bit startled that the woman in feral form had greeted her without looking. "Figured I would stop in while I had a free moment, since Joe's trying to get some sleep."

"He didn't get ordered? Well, things are looking up, it seems." She finished steeping the Earl Grey, leaving the ball on the side of her saucer as she turned to face Sarah. "Don't mind me; just having a cup before wading into the latest drivel being put to paper." She took a sip, then asked, "Is there anything you wanted to see me about?"

"Well," Sarah started nervously. "I want to thank you for getting me set up with Murphy with those dance lessons. Joe really liked it, and Murphy was so nice and patient with me."

"That's typical of him." She stirred the tea a bit with a spoon, then set both down. "He has a tremendous amount of patience, and he is the kindest man around. As a bonus, he's a teacher of kids as well – did he tell you he works part time at Gryphon teaching dance as an elective study?"

Sarah shook her head.

"Castela is one of many of the satisfied graduates from his program. And many others have had wonderful results with him." Phix sat back on her haunches. "Though, the décor in his studio is a bit over-the-top for my tastes."

"I didn't see anything wrong with it," Sarah said with a shrug.

"Care for some tea? I still have a pot brewing."

"I'm fine. Already had some with breakfast. I… I just wanted to say thank you again."

Phix smiled warmly.

"You've been wonderful with Aeternia, and you're important to Joe. That's the thanks I like." She idly motioned to the tea service. "Did Joe tell you that he bought this tea service for me as a wedding present?"

"No, he didn't. He just told me about the gift certificate for Babies 'R Us."

This brought a raised eyebrow from Phix.

"Well, seems that while he was stuck in Phoenix, he'd seen enough to know there was a party going on at the Library. So he went over to a Hallmark store and bought this." She lifted the teacup, and took a sip. "Good thing, too – my old seeping ball was starting to tarnish."

"I didn't know that," Sarah stated. "But why's that important?"

"Well," Phix pondered between further sips. "I think it was the reason why the Library decided to end the charade he was experiencing with the portal system."

"Monica told me about that."

"Oh, she did?" Phix feigned surprise. "I'm glad the two of you finally got to sit down and talk, then. I think that puts a final seal of approval on your Library access." She finished the tea, putting it back down on the saucer. "She didn't tell you what happened to her during her first jaunt to the Library, did she?" Sarah shook her head. "It's probably for the best, then. I'll let her tell you the story, next time you see her."

"I – I'm not going to get freaked out by it, am I?"

"Oh, no no, there was no way she was going to get her riddle wrong. In case you didn't guess, it's tailored to the person who's asking for access. Joe's answer was a hockey puck." She chuckled at that, and Sarah joined her.

"I do need to get back home, though," Sarah stated. "I have to be back at work by noon."

"Safe driving, dearie," Phix said, returning to her books.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I don't recall seeing the riddle being put to Joe... was that included in one of the fics? I do remember the games Nudge was having with the portal system at his expense, though... Was it him, who ended up reading from a recipe for cooking goats, to startle Nudge a bit?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:I don't recall seeing the riddle being put to Joe... was that included in one of the fics? I do remember the games Nudge was having with the portal system at his expense, though... Was it him, who ended up reading from a recipe for cooking goats, to startle Nudge a bit?
Oh, it was put to me finally.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I don't recall seeing the riddle being put to Joe... was that included in one of the fics? I do remember the games Nudge was having with the portal system at his expense, though... Was it him, who ended up reading from a recipe for cooking goats, to startle Nudge a bit?
Oh, it was put to me finally.
Thank you. You guys are so prolific, it's hard, sometimes, to keep track of it all... :?
(And I mean that in a good way, of course... :D)