Fan Fic character list?

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

chicgeek

Fan Fic character list?

Post by chicgeek »

So, as a relative newbie to the wonderful world of Wapsiversefanfic, I have a request.
Can we have a list of which characters are written by which person?
I have gone back and read through it all, but it'd be helpful. That way I can be sure to run ideas and questions by the right person. I could go through it all again with a notebook, but thought I'd ask here first. :D
I know Sarge writes Neil, and therefore Phix, Dinky the elves, ect.
But what about the centaur clan? And there's so many many characters in general now...eep.
Of course I'd never jump in to someone's story, and anything written by me that involves another character , I'd both ask permission, and run the post by them for approval.
Things like *REDACTED* has just arrived in Minneapolis, could I have them run into *Your Character*? Ect.
Thank you all. You're a talented bunch that's written some damn fine work.
GlytchMeister

Re: Fan Fic character list?

Post by GlytchMeister »

I write Glytch and John. Those are mine.

In "Thicker Than Blood" I wrote a lot of Atsali and Castela.

Billens is very much a shared character.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Thanks!
What about the main characters from the comic? I know there's someone here who writes Tina and Stan, but are the rest 'use as needed'?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Anything major involving other people's major characters, you might want to discuss in advance - well before you start writing. Also if the date that something did/will happen is important and not already nailed down. And world-building stuff, such as my creating the Alexander family foundation.

For canon characters, the basic thing is try to stick to the canon as it exists when you write the scene, and avoid changing them in ways that would be obvious or will be problematic if the canon goes a different direction. On the other hand, we have gotten several canon characters non-canonically married and handed some of them equally non-canonical children, among other changes.

What I did in "A Stable Relationship" is pick up a couple of someone else's minor characters and make them major characters in my story. In this case I then had to figure out how to drag them into reach of everyone else, because they were SO minor; on the other hand, I didn't disrupt anything like I might if, say, Edward and Arania were to get married and start a courier service catering to churches.

My far-from-complete (and possibly inaccurate) list of who the original and major writers for assorted fanon-only characters and organizations are - the original writer is first:

Code: Select all

Allan Richer - Just Old Al
Arania Wardoff - Sgt. Howard
Billens (quasi-canonical*) - Sgt. Howard
Calvin Alexander - jwhouk
Ebenezer Alexander (long dead) - Sgt. Howard, jwhouk
Edward (the butler) - Sgt. Howard
Franklin Alexander (Rowdy) - Sgt. Howard, Warrl
Greg Hazelton - Warrl
Hazelton Forest (company) - Warrl
Mrs. Hazelton - Just Old Al, Warrl
Patricia Hazelton (Dusky, deceased) - Sgt. Howard, Just Old Al
Pauline Hazelton (Dawn) - Just Old Al, Warrl
Randall Hazelton (Durango) - Just Old Al, Warrl
Rosalynd Alexander-Richer (Daisy) - Sgt. Howard, Just Old Al
Theodore Alexander (Buck) - Sgt. Howard, Just Old Al
Theodore Alexander Foundation - Warrl
Language peculiarities are special proficiencies, just like technical knowledge. Al is the expert on British English, Dinky on all things Elvish including translations. (There are at least three varieties of Elvish: High, Wood, and Drow. If you want any non-elven character to speak or understand any variety, ASK EARLY - and Drow is probably not a good idea, as strangers speaking it tend to draw sharp questions and objects.)

I have more or less taken over the Hazeltons. We got a brief glimpse of them in "Doing it Right", and I have both added a lot of history and written some more recent events. If you're going to write Dawn, ask me about the oddity in her speech patterns. And I know what Durango is studying, and why, and part of it's going to show up in the story soon. The werewolves who are Dawn's neighbors are minor characters with local connections that could be useful threads to pull on if someone wants to write more about them. If you want me to establish some other character at/near the university, it's quite likely I can create an opportunity to do so.

My usual recipient list on Private Messages is

Just Old Al 
DinkyInky 
Sgt. Howard 
jwhouk 
GlytchMeister  
That is actually the max for a single PM. If I'm writing Yana in a scene, the first four of those go in one copy of the message while

Glytchmeister
Yana Nimkova
go in another. (I'd rather put all six in one PM but the forum software says nope, too many.)

And at some point I need to go through and see if there are any writers I'm forgetting that should be in the above lists.

* About Billens: there is a canon recurring but unnamed FBI-or-MIB agent. In the fanon he got named and acquired a rather long history.
Last edited by Warrl on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

As per usual, Warrl with the details...

As for additional writers: ShneekeyTheLost is another writer who mainly teams up with Dinky and I lately, but he does some solo work too. And TazManiac writes Stan and Tina, but Taz has been out of the game for a while.
I'm too much!
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Warri, that's a very comprehensive list. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
And of course I won't do anything without running it by the people involved. Heck, it'll be a while before I start something. I'm just getting my ducks in a row first. I'm rereading some of the stories to familiarize myself more thoroughly with the world here. Always fun!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

My characters in The End were pretty much a closed set. I don't intend to revisit them, so probably don't need to be added to any list. Feel free to add them if you desire!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:As per usual, Warrl with the details...

As for additional writers: ShneekeyTheLost is another writer who mainly teams up with Dinky and I lately, but he does some solo work too. And TazManiac writes Stan and Tina, but Taz has been out of the game for a while.

Thanks for the nod in my general direction. I'm almost back in the game, (ahem) "Any day now...".
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Cavin Foxglove is mine, along with his parents.

Billens grew out of Sarge's character, which we later turned into Salted Caramel Latte Popsicle Guy. He's part Jay from MIB and Achilles from the Illiad.

Arania, Dreyali and Morbidia are also Sarge's creations that I've run with.

I do a better job at writing for Suzie and Monica.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

chicgeek wrote:Warri, that's a very comprehensive list. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
I wish it were more complete - the last three times I needed information that should be in the list I took that from, the information wasn't there. Because I haven't found it in the archives and entered it yet.

(The list is definitely a work in progress. And there is SO MUCH backlog to put in it. And just for fun, I also don't know what-all kinds of information I might like it to have in the future.)
Atomic wrote:My characters in The End were pretty much a closed set. I don't intend to revisit them, so probably don't need to be added to any list. Feel free to add them if you desire!
Perhaps YOU don't, but I would not be the least bit surprised to see Mr. Faeroe appear in more stories. Perhaps as a major character, or perhaps not.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Let us not forget Nicodemus, Erza Molin and of course Murphy the Minotaur... these are also mine.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

In the spirit of completeness, let's not forget the RE/AHI crowd.

Smokey Stratton and John MacDonald - two mechanics/engineers who work for Al at AHI. Smokey is a redneck Texas good-ole-boy and John's a Canadian from the Ottawa area. Both were with AHI, and retired, and Al tempted them back into service as they were terminally bored sitting at home with their spouses.

At AHI in the prototype shop - McAdams and Juan. Juan is a craftsman of the old school - nothing he can't do as needed. McAdams is the manager of the prototype shop - he runs the place and tolerates the insanities of his bosses and the demands from RE - all mitigated by large shipments of chocolate digestives.

Mort Trantor - occasional appearance - he's Al's accountant and coincidentally another Brit car nut - presumably how he and Al met. His wife's name is Sharon and they have 2 children.

AHI also has a facilities manager - Portnoy. Not too much background on him. He and Al don't always see eye to eye, as Al considers him a cheap bastard, which Portnoy sees as effective cost control.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah, the list gets longer as I go back and look at stuff...

• Camilla Dustin was "sort of" my creation in SSA, though it came out about that whole Union Jack thing.
• Delilah "Leela" Marshall is Daisy's high school bestie - and a former Mossad-based MIB agent.
• Constance Jurgenson is the head of HR for AHI's offices in Minnetonka.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I mostly write Prroul, and a few others that really haven't come to light. I also am consulted on several topics on the back-end, and also provide some other authorial support behind-the-scenes. I haven't been doing much writing lately, although I've got a hard drive full of random bits of fic ranging from Girl Genius to Valdamar to some original settings. In fact, Prroul I've been writing about for nearly two decades now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:As per usual, Warrl with the details...

Thanks for the nod in my general direction. I'm almost back in the game, (ahem) "Any day now...".
I just poked the collective towards back dues & fees. we'll see what happens.

I'm gestating a little something at the moment but need side-collaboration and co-check-off (you guys didn't know of the Internet Connection to the ol' Russian Writer 'Check-Off', did you?), before I jump back in...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I think this thread should also be made into a sticky. And a separate thread should be started, one that is comprised of a single post, namely the ordered list of characters, so one does not need to read several pages of a thread (i.e. this thread) to get to see them all. That separate thread would not include any comments (they would be included here, I guess, just like some fanfics have their own comment thread), so as to keep it clear, and would be kept up to date by whoever took the time to post it to begin with (hence the need for comments here, for those times when one or more new characters are added, via a new fanfic, they can be mentioned in the comments thread here, and then added to the "official" list, in the one-post thread, by whoever actually created the thread.)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:I think this thread should also be made into a sticky. And a separate thread should be started, one that is comprised of a single post, namely the ordered list of characters, so one does not need to read several pages of a thread (i.e. this thread) to get to see them all. That separate thread would not include any comments (they would be included here, I guess, just like some fanfics have their own comment thread), so as to keep it clear, and would be kept up to date by whoever took the time to post it to begin with (hence the need for comments here, for those times when one or more new characters are added, via a new fanfic, they can be mentioned in the comments thread here, and then added to the "official" list, in the one-post thread, by whoever actually created the thread.)
Lovely idea. You volunteering? :)

More seriously there was an attempt at that with a wiki page or some such that went moribund. We should either revive that or jot up a page.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’ve got that wiki bookmarked somewhere...
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’ll have to contact Yana about getting the rest of the authors logins so they can edit and format.
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Wapsi Fanon Wiki

LastPass still has my login info, so I can log in. And I still have the spreadsheet that formats the story index.

But I need to get caught up on writing stuff. I have the last couple scenes of Stable Relationship about half-done, and I have the start and end of a Winter Interlude rumbling around in my head. Plus a maybe-or-maybe-not-Wapsi story complete and ready to post. And that's just the stuff for here; I have two or three other books in progress. (One developed what may or may not be a sequel.)
Last edited by Warrl on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.