Fanfic Index Thread

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: Fanfic Index Thread

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 pm
Warrl wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 pm Index updated in first post! And there was much rejoicing! (yay)
No minstrels were harmed in the giving of thanks for your work!
However, several electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Moderator's note: several authors and co-authors of some of the documents originally linked to in this posting have explicitly objected to having their writings published in this form and fashion, stating that doing so is a violation of their copyright, and that the original Forum threads are the only authorized medium for their stories. I have removed all of the links. (Dave, 10/31/2022)

I will endeavor at some time between my double-nickel celebrations to get new links to various works.

EDIT - Here we go. These are the ones I've converted to PDF. If anyone wants to check to see if the file access is OK, please do so and let me know if any of them can't be read by the GP.

- Cornelius meets up with the author's ancestor in the last days of the Civil War
A Texan Comes to Visit
- Smokey's past comes back to haunt him
Aluminum Angel
- Arania and Sterling build a gift for Al's step-daughter
Bringing Up a Baby Sphinx
- The Launcher for Dixie
Coyote Ugly
- The Author finds a place in Arizona
Fearless (E-Book)
- The Author runs into the Vampire girls again - and a Fae
Full Disclosure
- Al returns to England to uncover secrets and reunite with friends and family
Girl in the Trans Am
- Short story featuring Suzi
Holiday
- Al goes on holiday with a special companion
Katherine Gilchrist and the Lost Dolls of the Anasazi (Novelization)
- Novelization of the storyline introducing Atsali and Castela
LIII
- The Author gets a scroll
Magical Mystery Tour
- Buying Macca's Landy
On The Beach (Short Story)
- A brief re-telling of Kevin's breakup with Monica
Samhain
- Celebrating Samhain brings out surprises from the other side of the Veil
Stainless Steel Angel
- A Delorean in the Basement is just the start
The Centurion and the Sphinx
- When Phix met Cornelius
The Cuban Conundrum (with add-ons)
- The Trio sneak off to Cuba, with predictable results
The Redemption of Arania
- Arania's story begins
Thicker Than Blood
- The Wedding of Shelly and Justin
Truckin'
- Al and Sterling go camping
Visiting Minnesota
- The Old Sarge ends up in Minneapolis by accident
Wapsi Me
- The Author discovers the reality of Wapsi Square

EDIT 2 - I added three more to hopefully be readable:

The Wapsi Square Anthology
- Sixteen short stories based in the Extended Wapsiverse by various authors.
Trespass
- A Walk In The Woods turns out to be more than The Usual Suspects (plus John) are prepared for.
Sgt. Howard's Wedding
- The Old Sgt. Gets Married... WHAT?
Last edited by jwhouk on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

About a third of them are accessible, the rest are not. I just went through the whole list and sent you an access request for those I could not open.

This weekend I'll see if I can't set up an independently-hosted share folder for these.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thanks. I think I may have figured out what's going on, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: They should all be accessible. Some of them were still listed as "restricted" when I clicked on the Sharing icon.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

To be blunt, given I was hosting these, you should have said something.

More the point, this can be rectified - and I really do not (speaking from a copyright point of view) want distribution of any of my work or work my characters are present in out of my hands.

Let's take this to PM.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:42 am To be blunt, given I was hosting these, you should have said something.

More the point, this can be rectified - and I really do not (speaking from a copyright point of view) want distribution of any of my work or work my characters are present in out of my hands.

Let's take this to PM.
Acknowledged. I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part, as to both how the hosting of the PDFs was being handled and of the concerns about which documents are fan-canonical versions and which are not considered so by their primary authors.

I will leave hosting of the fan-fiction documents in the hands of the primary authors unless they ask me to do otherwise.

For those who are hosting on Google Drive - Google changed their system a while ago, and many older sharing links no longer work (or need to have share-with-everyone permission re-added manually). If you're sharing a document intended for public access, please check that whatever links you've posted to it still work.

Drive links don't say who the document was shared by... all one can do if one doesn't have access is ask the Google system to request access from the owner.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

I was sharing these out of my share drive - The Googles irritates me but might be a better idea. Let me get that set up and we can lock things down in read-only to prevent tampering.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I will release the items to the authors. I only keep copies for myself for reading while offline, as it keeps me from having to dig through these forums for the stories.

I also wish to point out that I do not do this for any sort of profit, as these are works based upon Pablo's universe.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

An electronic image of stacks of paper pages (a pdf file) is not an ebook. In fact, in terms of what matters to the format it's pretty much the opposite: the exact page size and exact font size are critical to the process of creating a pdf file, whereas for an ebook file they aren't even knowable (as they come from the display device, not the source).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was wondering why a story was being referenced in earlier stories, while not showing up yet on the list (i.e. as I make my way through the list, reading the stories "in order"...), and I found that in the list, "Dark Knowledge" is being listed as starting on 12-14-2016, whereas the first post on that story states it was written starting on 12-14-2015. Is this is one of the stories that are part of the clause mentioned below?
Warrl wrote:The following is mostly in date order by when - in OUR time, not in-world - each story began (which are the dates on each line). There are currently five falsified dates - four to keep series together, and one to move out of the way of a series.
If not, then it should be corrected with the right date and be moved up on the index list.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

This is what's known as a typographical error. Will be fixed momentarily.

I would be annoyed with myself, but unsurprised, if someone finds other typos in the list.

The ones that got falsified, the first story in the series kept its accurate date and subsequent parts got the day(s) immediately following. If there was a series title, it got the day before the first story. This made them sort right.

And then A Stable Relationship started on the same day as The Redemption of Arania, which is part of a series. ASR isn't part of the series, so had to be moved to a different date. I put it the day before the series title.

(Normally, if two stories start on the same day, it won't matter. I think this has happened four times now. But when I'm using dates to keep a series together, other things can't be in the same date range.)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Just Old Al wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:42 am To be blunt, given I was hosting these, you should have said something.

Let's take this to PM.
OK, I am not sure I was clear here.

I do NOT give permission for any distribution of ANY of my intellectual property in any format other than that which I distribute personally or that which is contained here in the threads where these stories were originally shared.

ANY.

There has been some question of this raised - and I wanted it unambiguous.

Al.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dear Jwhouk (you):

You are considering publication and distribution of the following characters created by GlytchMeister (me, I, myself):

* Jack Cooper (GlytchMeister)
* John Smith
* Xera the punk rock violinist
* Rachel the hippie guitarist
* Geoff the bassist
* Bob the drummer

And other literary works created by GlytchMeister,

without my authorization which is copyrighted in accordance with Title 17 of the U.S. Code, United States Copyright Law. This includes my contributions to collective works: 17 U.S. Code § 201 (c), to which I alone hold the copyright to, distinct from the copyright to the collective work as a whole.

If I have not received a response from you by October 31, 2022 agreeing that you will desist from publication and distribution, I shall consider taking legal action to rectify this situation.

Sincerely,

GlytchMeister
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Mr. Houk, you may and should consider the sentiments and intentions expressed in the previous two posts to also apply to my works.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Warrl wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:43 am Mr. Houk, you may and should consider the sentiments and intentions expressed in the previous two posts to also apply to my works.
Likewise.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Joe- having read through some of your compilation "The Centurion and the Sphinx", I have noticed several editings that are clearly your hand- mind you, reading PDF on my computer is challenging, as scrolling becomes an 'all or nothing' affair- and I noticed how you modified Phix's dialogue with Nicodemus to reflect her broken nose (given that my own nose has been broken TWICE, I am astounded that I didn't catch that myself).

With your permission, might I edit my story to incorporate this?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Greg, did Mr. Houk speak to you about those changes before he incorporated them into the PDF?

In short, did he make changes without your knowledge?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:44 am I will release the items to the authors. I only keep copies for myself for reading while offline, as it keeps me from having to dig through these forums for the stories.
Do you realize that the fanfic index list makes any kind of digging altogether unnecessary? Particularly since the index list has been pinned to the top of the fanart subforum.

In the past, I have always downloaded whatever pdf an author made available through the story thread. And yet, even while I have several of them on my computer, I still return to the original threads whenever I feel like reading one of the stories... I particularly enjoy the threads where comments were inserted into the thread itself, as it always gave a good idea of how the story was received, gave added information related to the story, and so on. Reading comments threads related to a story is fine and dandy, and I can understand why an author would want to keep all story-related posts in a thread separate from the comments, which can easily go down the wildest of tangents... But it makes it a little harder to correlate the comments with where we are in the story.

Incidentally, while I realize this would make even more work for warrl, would it be possible to include the comment threads in the list, for those fanfics that have them, so we don't have to go hunt them down on our own, every time we read a story (particularly since when reading a story, we won't know for a while if there are merely no comments yet, or if comments were shuffled off to a separate thread...)? Once the initial work of inserting the comment threads in the list where appropriate is done, it would be easy enough to keep up to date, just like with the fanfics themselves.

Now that I think about it, a simple search on the words "comment", "comments", and "discussion" as part of the title of the thread (in the fanart subforum only) gives these 10 matches as a result. Including them in the list would not take that long...
(Sorry for suggesting more work for you, warrl...)

jwhouk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:44 amI also wish to point out that I do not do this for any sort of profit, as these are works based upon Pablo's universe.
Inasmuch as you have ruffled a few feathers, with your list and links, and the fact that some of the stories you had to make into pdf documents yourself, as the original authors had not shared such documents with us, it is a nice detail to add to your post. Not necessarily enough to subside tempers, but nice nonetheless.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 pm Incidentally, while I realize this would make even more work for warrl, would it be possible to include the comment threads in the list, for those fanfics that have them, so we don't have to go hunt them down on our own, every time we read a story (particularly since when reading a story, we won't know for a while if there are merely no comments yet, or if comments were shuffled off to a separate thread...)? Once the initial work of inserting the comment threads in the list where appropriate is done, it would be easy enough to keep up to date, just like with the fanfics themselves.
I'll see what I can do about that. And forum-page counts.

EDIT: Done!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

It’s not about money.

It’s about control of our Intellectual Property.

Edits being made concerning our characters without our knowledge or approval is not tolerated.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!