Wapsi Square - The Role Playing Game

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Wapsi Square - The Role Playing Game

Post by jwhouk »

Of course, with the number of Geeks and Nerds we have around here, we'd HAVE to come up with this.

However, there seems to be a disagreement as to what type of game system we should use: D&D 5th edition? 4th? 3rd? d20 Modern? GURPS?

And what would you see as stats for various current characters?

Discuss already.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Re: Wapsi Square - The Role Playing Game

Post by FreeFlier »

Chartm - err, Rolemaster?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Of course, with the number of Geeks and Nerds we have around here, we'd HAVE to come up with this.

However, there seems to be a disagreement as to what type of game system we should use: D&D 5th edition? 4th? 3rd? d20 Modern? GURPS?

Discuss already.
With the number of huge powers in this 'verse, I still say Legend. D&D had too many ways of making OP toons. Legend is the most balanced rpg system I've ever seen.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

DinkyInky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Of course, with the number of Geeks and Nerds we have around here, we'd HAVE to come up with this.

Discuss already.
With the number of huge powers in this 'verse, I still say Legend. D&D had too many ways of making OP toons. Legend is the most balanced rpg system I've ever seen.
But this 'verse is seriously NOT balanced.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

So we make opponents that are a challenge... OR we don't use "physical/magical prowess" as a main stat. We present challenges that rely more on cunning... Intellectual, emotional, sociological, inter-personal... That sort of thing.

Paul never really made a real "bad guy." Most conflict in his stories are more... Relationship-based. Friends, family, lovers, that sort of thing. Oh, and Moral dilemmas...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Warrl wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

Discuss already.
But this 'verse is seriously NOT balanced.
True, but with D&D , you could break a powerful character like Monica with an OC very neat and easy. Then the GM goes, *table flip*

"Rocks fall, everybody dies."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

D&D and other D20 based systems would only poorly reflect characters, since combat is not central to the webcomic. GURPS would be better. Mutants & Masterminds would be a good system to use. Maybe some bastard variant of White Wolf might work.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Speaking as one who hasn't gamed in decades, I will leave the specific system to the superminds that deal with such things, Shneekey.

As far as the characteristics and taking my fravorite crusty old brit as an example, you have:

Species: Human
M/I - Mortal
Age - Old for a human... (modifier for rolls - he's a little shaky, but it goes the other way for task-based items - he's skilled)
Roles - Warrior/Engineer
Skills - gunsel/mechanical intuition

What else would be appropriate? Again - this isn't war more than it's life - more task-based then conflict?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

If it weren't so obscure I'd recommend the system from Tales of the Floating Vagabond as a base. (There are some facets we would NOT copy, such as the standard method of getting characters into the game setting... which could reasonably be described as kidnapping and, with one limited exception, does NOT bring their clothing with them.)

This is a game system that actually has a character statistic "Detect the Obvious".

It also has schticks - character-specific oddities that are quite reliable. Al's might be "can fix or repair any mechanical device in the minimum possible time with no chance of failure". Monica would probably have several.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote:If it weren't so obscure I'd recommend the system from Tales of the Floating Vagabond as a base. (There are some facets we would NOT copy, such as the standard method of getting characters into the game setting... which could reasonably be described as kidnapping and, with one limited exception, does NOT bring their clothing with them.)

This is a game system that actually has a character statistic "Detect the Obvious".

It also has schticks - character-specific oddities that are quite reliable. Al's might be "can fix or repair any mechanical device in the minimum possible time with no chance of failure". Monica would probably have several.
Oh. my. word. Somewhere along the line "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon" had a hot night together and this is the love child. I might add this to my library just for laughs.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Hm... I may have been mixing it in my head with some other system. I'm looking at the book and can't find where I got the thing about how you arrive in that world.

But you gotta love a gaming book where the combat system is in a chapter entitled "How to Deal with Antisocial Behavior".
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:Hm... I may have been mixing it in my head with some other system. I'm looking at the book and can't find where I got the thing about how you arrive in that world.

But you gotta love a gaming book where the combat system is in a chapter entitled "How to Deal with Antisocial Behavior".
Sounds like Vault-Tec.
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

There was a game called Mutants & Masterminds that would fit this very well, it has social as well as combative rolls. You can also use the d20 Hero srd if you like.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Just Old Al wrote:
Warrl wrote:If it weren't so obscure I'd recommend the system from Tales of the Floating Vagabond as a base. (There are some facets we would NOT copy, such as the standard method of getting characters into the game setting... which could reasonably be described as kidnapping and, with one limited exception, does NOT bring their clothing with them.)

Oh. my. word. Somewhere along the line "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon" had a hot night together and this is the love child. I might add this to my library just for laughs.
I had a copy of this, years ago, it was a wonderful read but I never got to actually play it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

My two cents, the best system would be FATE. Possibly Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE). The only real problem with the system is that it has no built in magic system, and requires you to hack it, or hand wave it. Not a real problem, as the only "real" spell anyone uses is teleporting.

No levels, or complex math. You can play with a pair of common dice, instead of the "Fudge/Fate" dice it's intended for use with. Now, I may have to hack this together...
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

This is a cop out, but how about the Amber diceless roleplaying game? I haven't looked at the sourcebook in years, and only played it briefly, online. But it's pretty much pure storytelling. Sounds like a natural for this group!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Howard, Gregory F.
Mortal curmudgeon/Hillbilly/Mechanical Wizard/untrained Pyrene Adept/Military Veteran
Male
Weapons- damn near anything that goes 'bang' and most edged devices. One of the few humans alive today 'qualified' on the Gatling Gun. Reasonably reliable sniper (97% at 1Km). Improvise explosives are a favorite hobby. Owns an unregistered Banjo.
Strength- 8
Charm- 16
Diplomacy- NEGATIVE 19
Libido- ... off the charts
Charisma- 19
Endurance- 12
Appetite- see 'Libido'
Hand-to-hand- specializes in orthopedic disassembly
Sustained limerick capacity- see 'Libido'
Neutral Good
Faith- Practicing Christion but has a shrine devoted to John Moses Browning.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jharris16-17

Post by Jharris16-17 »

ON the Game Rules, something like Skyrim for the skills going up as you do something, then use a stat system like D&D. Characters or In this case figments of our Imagination in the form of Heroes or villains - Snicker, Snicker. Anyways Create as series of open worlds or even large dungeons that have multiple quests or mission, whatever your name preference is. Make it so they all tie into one ending. For Example: Good decisions all party members live. Bad, they die. Mixed and it would depend upon the Mission. Also none of this Cliché Crap where even when it goes to Hell in a Hand Basket, No party members die. Combat and Appearance have a drawer - Greg - Draw them in what armor they have or what they wear. Then create a Spread sheet with Weapon, spells, and tools to identify stats. Then a Crafting system which would have the User make his or her device shall we say it to the Finite Detail.
This might work, but only if we Identify races and stats. These can make or break an game. Create classes of Paranormal Creatures. Flying: Sphinxes, Hippogriffs, Dragons, Sirens. Walking on two legs, walking on four legs, and dual classes of races for character like Atsali. And determine the Level of technology, For Example: Black Powder, or what we see now. Possibly lasers but the science is largely unexplainable. But that's just my opinion...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I wanted to make a character sheet like Sarge, but I realized if I used the stats and characteristics for Glytch as he would have them at the end of his story, it'd spoil major developments... And that's the only version of him I have figured out enough in my head to properly make a character sheet for.
I'm too much!