Stainless Steel Angel

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Stainless Steel Angel

Post by Just Old Al »

With his staff energetically and relievedly servicing the DeLorean, Al wandered off. It was time to make a phone call.

“Call Cal.”

“Calvin, this is Al out at 2. I need you here when you can come by – preferably today.”

The phone mumbled in his ear.

“Yes, it’s ready. Lovely thing – I never thought it would come out as nice as it has. Rock would have loved it. My staff did an outstanding job putting it together – there was more than a bit of magic there.”

The phone mumbled again.

“Great. I’ll be here. See you then.”

When Cal rolled in an hour later, the DeLorean had been serviced, and stood on a set of ramps to expose its underside. Cal and the old engineer walked into the bay, and Cal stopped, struck dumb at the sheer presence the car exuded. Al said nothing – this was going to be a very personal moment between Cal and his brother’s long-unfinished project.

Cal knelt, and looked at the white chassis, blue cooling lines running alongside it – Al had arranged lights to make the brilliant blue and white stand out. He then went to the back, and looked at the LS1 lovingly installed. The valve covers caught his eye – he looked at Al, an odd expression on his face, then kept looking. The installation came in for some detailed examination, with Al handing him a flashlight so he could see the work done.

The interior, with its quaint gauge and dial layout came in for examination as Cal climbed into the driver’s seat for a closer examination.

“Other than the stereo and the cupholders this one looks just like mine – the changes you made are invisible to the eye without the deck open.” Al again said nothing and just nodded – this wasn’t about dialogue, more than it was about the communing going on as Al watched.

Getting out and walking around again, he walked to the back – and noticed the ADMC-12 on the back bumper.

“How did you know? That’s what Rock called the concept he had – we blue-skyed that one one night over a bottle of bourbon – I didn’t think anyone knew about it…” He stopped, utterly bemused.

“It was in his notebooks on the car – he called it that, in the privacy of his own writing. The team felt that at least one had to exist.” Al led him round the front, and showed him the grille logo – the mechanics had had time to fit it.

“It’s perfect. That’s the concept we had for it, near as damnit.”

Cal was silent for a moment, then he asked, “Does it run like it looks?”

“Let’s find out.” Al slid into the driver’s seat, then started the big Chevrolet V8. A few stabs at the accelerator, and he backed it off the ramp to the floor.

“Get in.”

Cal got in, they strapped down and closed the doors, and rolled out.

Chesnut to Alexander Parkway, Alexander to 12 to the 494 North on-ramp – the car rolled quietly and effortlessly, until they came to be on the on-ramp – and Al opened it up.

With a KEEK from the rear tires and a howl from the exhaust the ADMC-12 accelerated rapidly, holding the curve of the on-ramp with Al’s guidance. Merging with traffic the ADMC-12 shifted lanes, skillfully finding safe slots in the midday traffic. At 75 the car hummed along nearly noiselessly, holding the road with casual ease.

Al drove almost aimlessly, till he reached the Rockford Road exit. Pulling off, and pulling into the Target parking lot there, he asked Cal, “Care for a go?”

“I shouldn’t….Hades, yes!” They switched places, and Cal guided the DeLorean back to 494. On the entrance ramp South he gave the car its head, and it pulled effortlessly, matching speed and circulating into traffic. In a few minutes they were back at the plant, pulling back into the bay.

Shutting down and exiting, Cal stared at the car for a good long minute. Al kept his silence again – he knew Cal would talk when it suited him.

“He’d be thrilled – he knew the car had the potential. If he’d only been given the time – it DeLorean hadn’t had the problems – we could have found an engine to do this.”

“The engine existed and he knew what it was – he mentioned it in his notes. The aluminium-block Buick 215 that Rock spoke of in his notes would have easily given twice the horsepower of that anemic PRV V6 – and would have weighed nearly the same. He could have bought engines from Rover or licensed it as they did. The technology was there – the time wasn’t.

The failure was not his – he got caught between the Board and DeLorean’s instability. If the fault is anywhere it was with that erratic genius John Z.”

“Thank you, Al. You made it happen – and I know this cost you to do. I could tell.”

“I’m glad I was able to do it for you – and for him. Buck will enjoy it – even though he wasn’t the first to drive it. Of course, we don;t need to tell him that, now do we?" Al smiled wickedly.

"You need to meet the team that did it – come along. It’s time for a cup of tea, anyway.”

Taking his arm, Al walked Calvin from the bay, leaving the DeLorean there in its silver glory.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

Camilla Dustin had gotten another call about something going on at the Alexander Harvester complex. Her editor had received a tip that a DeLorean had been seen speeding around the Minnetonka Lake area, and it was wearing some strange markings: ADMC12.

She suspected who was at the center of it all, but after her last run-in with Richer Engineering, she was extremely gunshy about trying to contact them about what might just be a private restoration.

However, she had done a little archive digging, and found that there'd been some ties between AHI and DeLorean back in the early 1980's - something about Alexander supplying engines to the outlandish carmaker's dream vehicles. So, against her better judgment, she made a call to Richer Engineering, using the card she'd received from Mr. Richer after that last little... incident.

The phone rang, and a pleasant British voice answered: "Hello, and thank you for calling Richer Engineering. We are unavailable to take your call at the moment. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message, and we will return your call."

They wised up since last time, Camilla thought. She left her name and number, and an explanation that she had heard about a restoration project involving a DeLorean that might be connected to Alexander Harvester.

She figured she wouldn't get anything back in reply, since she was persona non grata with Richer's bunch.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Argh.

She should probably listen to her better judgement more often.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She's a reporter. She doesn't have that. ;)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:She's a reporter. She doesn't have that. ;)
She can't resist the pull of a possible story.

It's entirely a physical phenomenon, actually. Wing and Smokey were driving a fast car with performance tires, and they burned up a bunch of gasoline driving back from Mucho Mocha. No wonder a reporter was attracted.

After all, fuels rush in where angels bare the treads.

(Places a complete set of platinum-tipped spark plugs into the Pun Jar.)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:

It's entirely a physical phenomenon, actually. Wing and Smokey were driving a fast car with performance tires, and they burned up a bunch of gasoline driving back from Mucho Mocha. No wonder a reporter was attracted.

Oh, blimey.

That was worse than "Chekhov's Gin."
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Image
I've seen this image with all kinds of captions, most of which I would tend to agree with... But this one takes the cake!

Admittedly, I don't drink coffee (at least, not on a regular basis), since I never acquired a taste for it. But I can't fathom the concept of wanting coffee for the taste, while wanting to forego the caffeine...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Al walked back into his office, and noticed something odd. It took him a second or ten to realize it was the "Message Waiting" flag blinking on RE's main line - he'd rarely seen it.

Opening his email, he opened the transcription of the message and played it.

"Mr. RIcher, this is Camilla Dustin from the "Star-Tribune". I'm contacting you to ask about a DeLorean restoration project that Richer Engineering may have been involved with for Alexander Harvesters. If you feel you can speak about it for public consumption, would you please return my phone call at..." and she gave her office and cellphone numbers.

His first instinct was to stab down decisively on the DELETE button and forget all about it. This young woman had been a very large pain in his posterior a while back over her unauthorized activities during the whole "Dangerous Couture" testing cycle. However, her approach had been perfectly correct, and respectful - and Al did not believe in holding grudges...much.

Before he called her back, however, he had a call or two to make.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Concept to be used at a future date- remember, a GREAT deal of what is written is first draft- not all ideas get used, not all concepts see finish.
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:

I just read where (no joke) punning is illegal in China- I'm not certain that Dave is or is not eligible for the death sentance
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I just read where (no joke) punning is illegal in China- I'm not certain that Dave is or is not eligible for the death sentance
The ban was apparently quite selective, and isn't being enforced in general. Since I don't speak Chinese, and am not writing for Chinese TV or radio, I don't think their prohibition actually applies to my Words Of Unusual Wrongness.

http://adage.com/article/global-news/ch ... ed/297747/

And, thanks to you mentioning this (I hadn't heard of it before), I've learned a couple of neat new insults which I will save up for a rainy day. See the last couple of paragraphs in the above article :twisted:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I just read where (no joke) punning is illegal in China- I'm not certain that Dave is or is not eligible for the death sentance
The ban was apparently quite selective, and isn't being enforced in general. Since I don't speak Chinese, and am not writing for Chinese TV or radio, I don't think their prohibition actually applies to my Words Of Unusual Wrongness.

http://adage.com/article/global-news/ch ... ed/297747/

And, thanks to you mentioning this (I hadn't heard of it before), I've learned a couple of neat new insults which I will save up for a rainy day. See the last couple of paragraphs in the above article :twisted:
On the other hand, most of what I say about this government would get me killed were I a Chinese citizen and saying it about the Chinese govenment
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Unearthed DeLorean Completes Circle for AHI
Camilla Dustin
Star-Tribune

MINNETONKA - Many owners of DeLorean automobiles enjoy decking out their cars like the time machine driven by Doc Brown in the "Back to the Future" trilogy movies.

But for Alexander Harvester's CEO Buck Alexander, his DeLorean actually is a time machine, of sorts.

"My dad, Rock, had plans to go in to a joint venture with John (DeLorean, the mastermind behind the DeLorean Motor Company)," he said at the Minneapolis Auto Expo at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds on Sunday.

"He wanted to branch out, putting our engines into a street legal car. Unfortunately, DeLorean's financial issues got in the way, but this car survived."

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Surprisingly for a car as stunning as Mr. Alexander’s, this car spent the first thirty-five years of its life entombed in a basement, in disassembled form.

“AHI bought this car as a fitting mule to perform engine development for the DeLorean Motor Company. We were going to sell them American engines to replace the engines they were using, and later bring in cars to be fitted out here in our facilities and sold as ADMC-12s.

Unfortunately, DeLorean himself, and DMC ran into financial straits and the project had to be abandoned. The car itself was abandoned in the basement it was in back in 1983, till it was found in Winter of 2016.”

When found, it was in pieces, the chassis and body being the largest. It was removed from storage and assembled by a 3-person team at Richer Engineering over a span of six months.

The team (see photo on opposite page) at Richer Engineering did more than assemble the new-old car. It was extensively refitted, with uprated brakes, tires, suspension and a Chevrolet LS1 V8 from a Corvette.

None of this is visible from the outside – when parked, the ADMC-12 (Alexander DMC-12 – see photo inset) looks like any other DeLorean.

“The team who assembled the car and modified it – Arania, Smokey and John of RE – did a fantastic job. In short, I have a brand-new DeLorean that’s carrying the latest technology for power and safety. It runs and drives like a new car.”

The comparison of this car to a time machine is appropriate despite its movie roots – which it calls out to with a flux capacitor mounted to its dashboard for shows.

The body is pristine, the interior in new condition, even the original glass is spotless. Even the wheels look as though the car just rolled from a showroom – and as Mr. Alexander states, these are not refinished but as manufactured.

When asked what his plans are for the car, Mr. Alexander stated, “This is going to get what my Dad would have wanted for it – it’s going to be enjoyed, driven and run. My family are all classic-car collectors – and thanks to Richer Engineering this one will be with us for decades.”

--Camilla Dustin
Last edited by Just Old Al on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

EPILOGUE

Al pulled the Aston up to the parking space in front of Mucho Mocha. Funny how there always seemed to be a space open in front of her shop, he thought. He pressed in the code to disarm the vehicle defenses, then stepped briefly out into the traffic before sashaying onto the sidewalk and into the shop.

Tina waved at him as he strolled to the counter. "Sargent-Major!" she called out. "Kona and coffee, as usual?"

"Your elixirs always cure what ails, Tina," he replied smartly. Turning, he saw two familiar faces seated to the one side - both which he hadn't seen in quite a while.

"Monica! Joseph! Surprise to see the two of you here!" He went over to the pair, who waved in greeting. "How's Jet doing? Is the haute couture armour business doing well?"

"Most definitely," she said, nodding and motioning toward Joe. "Mister Houk here was discussing the batch we made special for his workplace over in Wisconsin."

"Yeah, the female staff at our facility are really liking them - and how Sterling incorporated a body camera holder into the design. Big props for that." He took a drink of his coffee. "How's business? I heard that you're now the Twin Cities' authorized DeLorean repair shop?"

"Oh, it's been wonderful and hectic at the same time," Al related. "Never thought I'd see so bloody many of those things at one time, but their owners have loved every repair and upgrade we've done."

"I love the whole story about finding the car and the historical stuff," Joe interjected. "Glad that Buck's dad's labors finally came to light."

"Here's your coffee!" Tina stepped in, handing Al his usual draught.

"Thank you, Tina. I do have to get off to the shop - three new orders today, and MIB is still on me for some status reports."

"Oh, Al?" Monica stopped him. "There's a message I'm supposed to give you?"

"Oh?" Al gave her a quizzical look.

"Yes - and it's a bit cryptic, but I'm supposed to tell you, 'Thanks for the Jameson.' Not sure what that means?"

Al stopped in his tracks, then smiled wistfully.

"I think it means things are going to be all right," he said.

He strode out of the shop, not wanting to let the busty little Latina see him tearing up.

--- FIN ---
Last edited by jwhouk on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Given Camilla's contribution, you could have easily rung down the curtain with...
-- 30 --
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Oh there are still a few little bits to come...

... and I'm not certain, but it may be my fault. :twisted:

(One of them definitely is my fault. I'm not certain if the others are side effects of that, or stuff already in the works, or a mix.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Go for it. The co-authors both love it.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AN: Thank you DInky Inky...as always, your edits and additions make my lackluster prose sparkle.

Of course, the newspaper article was just the beginning....

Bay 12 had been cleaned to within a millimeter of its life. The wood-block floor had been swept, and compounded, and swept again until a dust mote would have had trouble hiding on its surface, The window at the end of the bay had been washed till it sparkled, and the clutter of a normal work bay reduced to stylized piles of parts, artistically arranged.

The ADMC-12 sat in the middle of it, crouching on its wheels like a feral cat waiting to pounce. It too had been washed and polished until it shone, glass clean, stainless wiped, tires blacked and dusted.

This whole scene dated to a few weeks before, when the assembly had been nearing its completion. A certain grande dam of the Alexander family had pulled a business card from her card file, and called the number engraved on its back – the para-friendly number.

“Flashburn Studios.”

“This is Rosalynd Alexander-Richer calling for Flashburn please.”

“Yes, Ma'am. One moment please – I’ll need to call him to the phone.”

Daisy waited patiently. She hoped this was going to work – the photos Flashburn had taken for the spa day months before had been fantastic – and Daisy wanted that quality to provide for the Road and Track article that Al was hoping they could cajole.

"Rosalynd Alexander? The hot redheaded younger sister from the spa shoot? Yeah, I remember you, gorgeous. Hope you liked the shots – you must have – I got my SD card back. What can I do for you today – boudoir photography, I hope? No wait, don't tell me, burlesque pin-ups of both you and your sister. No? Well, darn...”

“No, Flashburn – industrial photography – but with a para twist on it I am hoping you can handle for me. My husband is building a customized DeLorean for my son – and the mechanic doing the work is a gorgeous young woman – with wings.

We need two sets of shots – one set to distribute to “Road & Track” to go with an article they’re doing on the car, and one – personal – set to stay with the car – and the family.

The first is straight – no paranormal – the second we’re hoping to get good footage of the two sets of wings, if you gather my meaning. Posing and such will be left to you, but the young lady is very modest, so don’t even THINK about lingerie shots.

"Too late. It's already firmly stuck in," Flashburn thought.

We’ll want to shoot this in the work bay where the car was built – it’s got great natural lighting, and of course bring whatever you want for extra – power is not an issue."

“A private photoshoot with a DMC-12 and the female mechanic responsible for its construction? I am soooo there. Where is the venue, sweetheart – and are you and that luscious sister of yours going to be there as well?”

“Daughter, and only if you promise to behave yourself. Your cousin wanted me to remind you that it doesn’t take paranormal powers to drop a lump of ice down someone’s back.”

“Spoilsport. Sterling's such a stick in the mud – she constantly ruins my fun.”

“So, can we count on you?”

“You’d have to beat me with a stick to keep me away – though done right, you'd never get rid of me, Mistress.”

“Flatterer.”

"Only the best for the best, my dear."

A time safely past the completion date of the car was set, and Daisy hung up.

“Why am I doing this again?” Wing nervously asked.

Al answered, laughing. “Because legions of teen-aged boys will have your picture up on their bedroom walls, that’s why. A beautiful young woman who’s mechanically savvy – AND works with exotic cars? The line of boys AND girls will be down the street and around the corner just to meet you.”

Wing, in a clean, well-fitted set of white coveralls with Velcro shoulder patches, hovered in the entrance of the bay as Flashburn set up his equipment. Lights set to cast a bright, shadowless glow around the car, he started clicking away. Oblique views, end views, side views, under the hood, underbelly shots while propped on the lift, even an overhead from a basket on the forks of the Hyster, he shot dozens of shots of the car itself.

Next, the posed shots with the mechanical team. Each of them was posed with the DeLorean and photographed. Smokey, wearing his best Stetson (which Flashburn chuckled at but otherwise kept silent), John, neatly pressed and combed, and Wing, in her coveralls. The only hold-out was Al – who adamantly refused to step in front of the camera.

“Oh, come on! Think of all the lovely ladies out there who’ll see you in their husband’s copy of the magazine and have a good drool over you!” Al still demurred, and Rosalynd determined then and there to hire Flashburn for a private session for him – in his tux.

Snapping his fingers, Flashburn queued up some eclectic music, which caused Al to start drumming on the nearest horizontal surface and Daisy to grin. He assured Ari that it was just to set the mood.

Next came the “pinup” shots. Barefooted with red toenails and fingernails, zippers carefully tucked in to avoid scratching the stainless steel, Wing was posed sitting on the front of the DeLorean, leaning against the large windscreen hands on one knee. She then sat to one side, then the other, then laying forward, ankles coquettishly crossed in the air behind her, head propped on hands in the air.

“Oh come ON, luv, this is not a CONVENT! Lower the zipper just a LITTLE, please!”

Wing blushed and slid the zipper down a half-inch from the fully closed position.

“No, no, no, no! Rosalynd, you did NOT tell me that this was going to be an engineering shoot – I am SO disappointed! You promised me glamour – and this gorgeous creature is giving me Sister Act!”

Wing blushed worse, and her co-workers chuckled – they knew her modesty.

Daisy walked forward and unzipped the coveralls a modest three inches. “Think of your public – all those young boys and their fathers, too!”

Blushing bright scarlet, Wing defiantly unzipped the coverall another inch – and Cinnamon broke out in a whistle and a “You GO!, girl!” Daisy clapped and added her opinions – much the same as her daughter’s.

“Oh, MUCH better – and that gorgeous blush just adds to it. Pull the collar back to the sides. Back on the front of the car, dear – let’s try this again.” They ran through the pose sets again, and now that Wing was relaxing Flashburn started positioning her. It was little – the movement of a foot an inch, shifting an elbow, an instruction to “turn a bit right”, hand in contemplative pose, fetching tools, spanner at the ready, but the magic was happening.

Now, the real magic was to happen. A Union Jack was spread over the bottom half of the window in case of random passers-by from the park, and the posing began again – but this time Ari’s wings were out in all of their Titian-white beauty.

End-on to the car, Flashburn photographed the ADMC-12 with its wings open, and behind and above it Ari with hers in the same curve. Seated on the front, one leg extended the other folded, wings proudly out.

Oblique photo from the driver’s corner, Ari across the front and facing the camera, head propped on hands and forearms, wings spread again like the car’s.

“It is SUCH a pity we can’t give those legions of teenaged boys these shots to look at – the magazine's print subscriptions would triple and knock digital back into the stone age!’ Ari blushed again, which is exactly what Flashburn wanted.

Soon, the photo work was done. The crew and spectators reviewed the digital shots, notes being taken for those to be distributed to the magazine.

"If these don't make center, I quit."

All eyes on Flashburn, questioning the statement, as he flashed his most wicked grin yet, snapped his fingers, and an eclectic eighties tune started, causing John and Smokey to laugh riotously, Daisy to roll her eyes, Cinnamon to quirk a brow, Al to facepalm and laugh madly, and Ari to blush furiously.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...You HAD to go with "Centerfold", didn't ya.

EDIT: R&T doesn't have a centerfold. Hasn't for some time now...