Stainless Steel Angel

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Stainless Steel Angel

Post by jwhouk »

The LS1 engine was a joy to drive – even though Ari still had her issues with the clutch.

"Hey, hey, don' grind-and-find, Wing!" Smokey said as she lurched forward from the on-ramp to Wayzata Boulevard.

"Okay, okay," she said, running through the gears as best as she could while trying to merge onto the freeway. "I just hope that Al isn't heading home for something…"

"Aw, crap," Smokey said. "Y'all don't think he'd be followin' us, do ya?"

Ari looked around in the mirrors of the DeLorean, as she merged out onto US-12 freeway. "You see anything?"

"Naw… don't look like anyone else's comin' down off the ramp 'hind us."

Ari concentrated on getting over into the proper lane, and while swinging in to get around a BMW, she saw a glint in the passenger side-view mirror. There was a silver car, about a quarter mile behind – one that looked awfully familiar.

Ari's realization came out as a low growl. "Dammit, he's following us," she said.

"Huh?"

"Bout a quarter mile back, on the right," she said, trying to put some distance between them. "That SNEAKY bastard!"

"Yep – and that sneaky old bastard set it up so WE got to drive it first, so, y'might keep a civil tongue in yer head." Smokey smiled as he said it, but he was a bit concerned as he caught sight of the Aston.

"Bet the old git knew we'd take the thing out for a joyride."

She thought for a moment.

"Well, then, a joyride is what he's going to get." She looked down at the gas gauge. "I have an idea."

She eased the car over onto the County Route 15 exit, and guided it onto Shoreline Road. "We're gonna take the long way around Lake Minnetonka," she said.

The road wound along the side of the lake, past the many lake homes and marinas set in a countryside setting. The shoreline's curves put the "new" car to the test.

"Feels like the suspension tweaks we put in are doin' their job," Smokey commented.

"They still back there?" Ari asked. Smokey peeked in the mirror.

"Can't quite… oh yeah, the Aston's back there," he said. "Back 'bout five cars. He's bein' discreet – but gotta think he's wonderin' where yer headed."

"Don't worry, there's this Holiday store that's in a Culver's up ahead… after we take this thing around a few nice curves."

A few minutes later, the Culver's appeared on the right, at an intersection located amid one of the gaps between Minnetonka's expansive shoreline. She carefully eased the DMC down through the gears, and pulled into the station.

"You got the company card?" Smokey asked. Ari produced it from her hip pocket, handing it to him.

"Ooh, Chocolate Caramel Twist! You want a scoop?"

Smokey demurred as the gull wing rose slowly. "Naw, lemme get this thing filled up. Pop the hood so I can get to the filler."

Ari reached down and released the front hood, which dutifully rose ahead of her. She snuck a peek behind her, seeing the Vanquish driving past on Shoreline Drive.

"Think he saw us pull in?" Smokey asked after swiping the card and starting to pump Premium Unleaded into the thirsty car.

Ari raised the gull wing and peeked over at the intersection. A truck had obscured the entrance to the station, and she didn't see the Vanquish anywhere. After a moment, the truck pulled through the intersection – and she saw the taillights of the Aston continuing down Shoreline Drive to the west.

"Looks like he didn't," she said. "Let's get this filled, then double back – I think I know where we can put this thing through its paces before he gets back to the plant."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Nice to see Arania learned enough of stick shift driving to be able to take the car out.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I sorta suspect he did see them there . . .

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Suppose the AHI board had made the deal with DMC, but DeLorean insisted on top billing...
dam-12.png
dam-12.png (49.39 KiB) Viewed 15002 times
[plink]One sledge, used in Web's production company logo. I would have dropped in the sound effect, but Cartoon Network has dibs on that.[/plink]
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---
Working her way back to Wayzata Boulevard, Ari ran through the gears easier with every shift.

"All that time Al spent with you on ol' Clara appears t'be payin' off," Smokey said as they sailed through the back roads with ease.

"This transmission's rather forgiving, to my luck," she replied.

The ADMC-12 pulled out smoothly onto Wayzata Boulevard, and within minutes they were on I-394, bound for downtown Minneapolis.

"She runs good in traffic," Smokey commented. "We still got about 45 minutes - whatcha thinkin' 'bout doin'?"

"Well," she said, looking down at the center console, "Thanks to that little electrical fire we had, Wynne sent us this modified setup with a smaller dimmer switch - and two cup holders that are begging for Minneapolis' finest coffee to be placed in them," she said, her right hand patting the two empty spots.

"You wannna be on cleanup detail if they spill?" Smokey asked.

"I had that Hades-damned control module blow up in my face," she replied curtly. "I think I could manage a coffee spill. Besides - it's Tina's. And you're driving us back, remember?"

Smokey had a crap-eating grin on his face as she guided the car into the tunnel under Target Field.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

As the DeLorean pulled out, Al and John were not far behind in the Vanquish. John was frantically snapping away with Al’s telephoto-equipped Nikon, creating a record of the miscreant’s “misdeeds” – all of which had been not only accepted but expected.

“They’re gonna get away, boss – Let’s get aboot it!” John was getting a little too far into the part of chasing the Bond villains in the DeLorean – and Al didn’t mind in the slightest. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining – and there was no better excuse for a ride.

Wayzata Boulevard to US-12, 12 to County 15, Al followed as far back as practicable. Sometimes, when traffic thinned a bit, he’d move up for a few quick pictures, then back again. He had no doubt he’d been spotted, but frankly he didn’t care – this was just too much fun to take seriously.

When Wing and Smokey hit County 15, Al knew immediately what the plan was – the beautiful drive along the shores of Lake Minnetonka were a favorite of his that Buck had introduced him to last Spring. Curving roads, blue waters, and relaxed speeds made for a wonderful drive, whether in the Vanquish or the old ambulance. It was at times like this Al sorely missed his long-dead Bentley drophead coupe – Now THAT was a car for a sunny day.

“Wayzata Bay – now there’s a silly question. What else in Hades would it be?”

Ruminating as he was on this beautiful day, he didn’t notice when the DeLorean dropped away from in front of him – his tradecraft had certainly diminished and the less-than-serious nature of the “tailing” made it even less effective.

“Boss, Boss, they turned off!”

“Where?”

“Back there at the intersection of Shoreline and Shadywood, eh? Let’s Go!”

“No, I think not. Let’s hang back just a bit.”

“We’ll lose ‘em!”

“No, I think not. While we were prepping the DeLorean I prepared for this.”

Al summoned the command console for the Bond gadgets on the touchscreen, and pressed “Track”. A map appeared, with two tracking icons on it. The first, marked with a tiny 007 logo, was proceeding down Shoreline. The other was a half-mile back from it, with a label of T.1 – Target One.

Al chuckled. “I have GPS enabled trackers for jobs like this – small magnetic or adhesive attachments. When I went to refill my coffee I grabbed one from the Aston’s storage and stuck it on the inside of the rear louver – right out where it can see the satellites it needs.

It’s got around a five-mile range, so it’s perfect for a job like this.”

“Now I know why they say you’re a sneaky bastard, eh?”

Tick…tick…tick…

“WHO says I’m a sneaky bastard?” The two men laughed, then focused on the tracking information on the screen.

“They’re in the fuel station there on the corner. Let’s see where they decide to go – but we will pull in on them a bit more.” With that, Al turned the Vanquish in a convenient parking lot, and headed back in the opposite direction. As he did, the DeLorean’s icon came to life, heading back out toward the highway.

“What time is it? How much time have our stray lambs got?”

“Barely been out 15 minutes – got time yet.”

“Good. Let’s see where they’re headed – I don’t want to panic them too much, and frankly we’ve served our purpose and given them backup as they ran it in. If they don’t head back toward the plant we’ll let them go.”

That being said, they saw the icon merge with traffic headed south into Minneapolis.

Al chuckled – he knew very well where they were headed – and begrudged it to them not a whit.

The Aston reached the highway, and headed north for the plant and home.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---
The DeLorean turned plenty of heads as Ari guided it through downtown Minneapolis. There were a few double-takes as people on the sidewalk looked into the car to see Smokey in the passenger seat.

"Dunno why ev'ryone's starin' so much," Smokey muttered as they turned onto 3rd Avenue South.

Ari crinkled her nose a bit after looking at Smokey for a second. Then, it dawned on her.

"Doc Brown," she said quietly.

"Huh?"

"You've got white coveralls, and you look a bit like Christopher Lloyd..."

It took a moment before Smokey realized what she meant. By that time they were driving down the divided boulevard past the Hennepin County office building.

"Aw, hail," he said, dropping his head down. "They're thinkin' I'm buildin' a time machine?"

Ari couldn't help but laugh. "No, no, they probably wonder why a pretty young girl is driving an old movie star around Minneapolis."

Crossing over the Interstate, Ari guided the ADMC through the streets of Stevens Square, turning on Franklin and pulling up in front of Mucho Mocha.

"Hey, I think that's Greg sittin' in there," Smokey said as Ari pulled the DeLorean up in front of the shop.

"Ooh, great timing," she said. Putting it in neutral, she held down the brake - and gunned the accelerator.

BA-ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

That got the attention of the patrons of the shop.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

And had Al seen that she would have gotten read the riot act for revving the knockers off an unbroken-in engine....

BAD Angel! No Croissant!
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Inside the shop, Greg took immediate offensive action- causing patrons to scattered for cover. Several cups of coffee were spilled on the floor, tables and articles of clothing. Greg's table, usually right by the window, was overturned with Greg right behind it, his old 'War Horse' pulled and cocked, awaiting a clear target. Tina peered from behind the counter to see what manner of attack they faced...
Whatever it was, it had to get by Greg.
Greg was intently assessing the situation- when he realized that what he took for an incoming jetliner was a DeLorian, he held his breath and started counting to ten. When Ari stepped out of the vehicle, he stopped counting.

He had only gotten to four...

Standing up, he bellowed "ALL CLEAR," and proceeded out the door while clearing his weapon.

"WHAT KIND OF A STUNT Was THAT!?!" he bellowed at the startled Angel, "THERE'S ABOUT TWO GALLONS OF SPILLED COFFEE IN THAT SHOP YOUNG LADY!!!"

"?? ... why do you have your gun drawn?..."

"BECAUSE I THOUGHT WE WERE UNDER ATTACK, YOU NUMBSKULL!!! DON'T GO SPOOKING A VETERAN!!! SONOVABITCH BUT YOU STARTLED ME AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THERE!!!..."

"Greg, I'm sorry, I didn't realize..."

"SORRY? YEA, YOU'RE SORRY ALRIGHT!!! ABOUT AS SORRY AS I'VE SEEN IN MANY A MOON!!! OF ALL THE HAIR-BRAINED, MORONIC, ASININE ACTS OF PURE STUPIDITY I HAVE EVER SEEN, THIS JUST ABOUT ULP!!! TINA!?! LEGGO MY EAR, DAMMIT!!!"

And indeed, Tina did have him by the ear, but she was not letting go- "Stand down, you old fool-("OW!!!") YOU are the one who scared my customers half to death ("DAMMIT, LEGGO!!!") over a silly prank and NOW you're trying to reduce this woman to tears!!! (TINA, THAT HURTS!!!") Miss Annie would NOT be proud of you right now, " Turning to Ari, ("LEGGO!")she smoothly stated ," Greg Howard here has seen and done things that left him with a very tightly strung trip wire... it is hard to get a startle reaction out of him, but when you do it's... impressive..."

"Tina, leggo my ear!"

"STAND DOWN!!" she bellowed with just the right inflection. He quit resisting.
"The sudden noise caught everyone's attention- the sight of YOU pulling that... that... pocket howitzer ... and barricading yourself is what freaked out everybody in the shop! -
YOU owe a PILE of coffees to several people in there, Mister,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm agonnaguess it's all Greg's fault anyhow. He'd been careless about where he stashed away one of his spare favorite weapons (a can of starting ether), he forgot it was there when they put the body on, it was too close to the manifold, it got hot, and it just happened to pick that particular moment to go Boom. Not Ari's fault at all.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:I'm agonnaguess it's all Greg's fault anyhow. He'd been careless about where he stashed away one of his spare favorite weapons (a can of starting ether), he forgot it was there when they put the body on, it was too close to the manifold, it got hot, and it just happened to pick that particular moment to go Boom. Not Ari's fault at all.
Nah - Al spotted Greg's leftover and got rid of it.

The ADMC-12 has a tuned exhaust - hand-built for it. It's got a very impressive note - done deliberately to scare rice rockets and their silly bean-tin exhausts. Just because it looks like a monument to the 80s, doesn't mean it RUNS like one.

One of the things on Al's TBD list is building it a new speedometer - the stock DeLorean one is only good to 90...and that car does not top out at 90 anymore...oh, my, no.

One amusing thing - there's a need for a ground-speed sender on the LS1 engine computer. Turns out the DeLorean had a sensor in the speedomer cable for a maintenance indicator based on mileage. Al gutted the thing and repurposed it with the guts of a ground-speed sensor used by a Lucas 14CUX fuel injection system. Looks stock, keeps the LS1 happy...

Now THAT is Lucas-level wizardry... :)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I do NOT leave aerosol carb cleaner under the hood- there are better places to put it...

Greg's one grace is that he cools down as fast as he fires up- back in the shop, he was remarkably embarrassed by himself and started tallying up everybody's spilled coffee.
One fellow in particular was beside himself- "What business do you have carrying that thing anyway? Could have gotten somebody killed with it- stupid paranoid gun freaks..."
"THIS 'stupid paranoid gun freak' as you call him SAVED MY LIFE AND TOOK A BULLET FOR ME!" Tina jumped in, "and would likely intervene if he thought YOUR life was in danger as well!"
The man mouthed silently, trying to find words- finally, he stated, "All well and fine- but what TRAINING does he have?"
"Six years of Army Rangers good enough for you?" Greg quietly asked, "There's a reason people here call me 'Sergeant'- I qualified 'Expert' on the .45- Adjutant Corps wanted me on their Olympic Pistol team- I said no- you had the soy latte, I recall?"

After a few well placed apologies to Ari as well as the customers, Greg went on to asked about their ride-
"Where did you get that relic, anyway?"
"I built it," she said with no small amount of pride.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Of course he drinks a soy latte. :twisted: :P
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Of course he drinks a soy latte. :twisted: :P
He'd hate to see Sterling, Emerauld, and Safyr(the latter two in disguise) then... :twisted:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

Things had just about calmed down at Mucho Mocha when the sound of a siren split the air outside the shop.

Ari flinched, thinking perhaps that the old Sargent would pull out his gun yet again - then she gasped as she saw the police cruiser pull up behind the DeLorean outside the shop!

"Aw, HAIL NO," Smokey wailed a bit.

"Al is going to rightly kill us - and Buck will stampede on the remaining pieces," Ari cried as she shut her eyes from the scene before her.

Two officers came into the shop.

"Okay, Tina, where's the fire?" Officer Justin Epimethius said, hands on hips. "And who's time machine is that sitting outside your shop?"

Sarge had tensed up a bit after seeing the cruiser pull up - but smiled broadly as he saw Justin and his partner Rob get out of the car.

"Hey, Justin," Greg waved. "Nothing happened - this little lady here startled me with that stainless steel contraption out there."

"Everything okay?" Rob asked.

"Oh, yes, he got a little jumpy, but he paid for everyone's spilled drinks," Tina nodded as she came out from behind the counter. "And that happens to be Buck and Al's new toy out there - which two of his employees," here she pointed at Ari and Smokey, to their chagrin, "were taking out for a test drive."

Rob rolled his eyes, looking at Justin - who was smirking.

"I'll call this one in back in the car," Rob said resignedly. "Y'all get me a caramel latte and we'll call this even."

Once Rob was back in the cruiser, Justin looked right at Greg. "Flashbacks to Pillsbury again?"

"Yeah, the little lady here... Uh, Ari? Everything okay?" Greg realized that the girl with "WING" stitched on her jumpsuit was frozen in fear.

"You... you're the... you... the granddaughter's..."

"Hol' on a second, I seen this'un before," Smokey said. He leaned over and whispered into Ari's ear:

"Lait me roll it, lait me roll it ta yaaaahhh..."

After a few bars of the song, Ari finally came around. "Oh! OH! DAMN, I hate when that happens. Thanks, Smokey... uh, we're sorry about the whole confusion," Ari continued as she intentionally looked at Greg, not Justin.

"Yeah, we're all jus' takin' it out for some test ridin', and ol' girl here wasn't followin' the pro-to-col about not gunnin' the engine in th' break-in period," Smokey elaborated. "Nothin' more."

"Okay, I get it. Greg - you gotta be more careful. Rob and I were the ones to respond - probably because they saw the address; next time you might have a SWAT team charging in here."

Greg grunted in assent.

"And as for you two - well, the embarrassment is likely enough punishment." Justin turned to Tina - who handed him two lattes.

"Just the way you like them, Justin," she said. "On the house. Tell Miss Shelly I said hello."

"Will do." Justin sighed as he walked out the door. "How I'm gonna put THIS in a report..."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote:
He'd hate to see Sterling, Emerauld, and Safyr(the latter two in disguise) then... :twisted:
A man of shockingly poor taste, then....lovely, powerful women, all.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
A man of shockingly poor taste, then....lovely, powerful women, all.
Tells ya something about the person who created them, don't it? They're all a part of the real thing.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I've actually seen the types that order a soy latte- had I just made that up, you could rightfully accuse me of stereotyping. Typically either limp-wristed (not necessarily gay, but more of what I would call... fragile... for a male of the species) or your classic overweight bureaucrat... this fellow I will say is the latter. Neat, tidy, useless, hands as soft as a woman's boob and a limited view of the world, as if they are wearing blinders. Usually wind up in management. Powerful women scare them, threaten their authority. Probably resentful that this skinny barista disarmed a very wound-up veteran who was hold a very LARGE pistol- but Tina has always been more that meets the eye, eh?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

After the police left and the confusion settled back to its usual dull roar, the conversation turned to the “time machine” as Justin had called it.

Greg, usually not slow on the update, finally figured out what he was staring at. “Waitaminute, wait a minute…is THAT the “barn find” DMC-12?”

Smokey said, “Ain’t none other but that one. Ol’ 801, live and in person.”

With that, Greg went silent, his admiration focused on the lines of the car. Tina, also finally realizing what this car was, came back out from behind the counter, leaving the customers and an order to Becky for the moment.

“Wow…it’s beautiful. I know how you described it, and I looked it up, but they just don’t look so…beautiful…in the pictures.” Tina subsided, and as a group Wing, Smokey, Greg and Tina walked outdoors.

Shining in the sun, the ADMC-12 belied its age, looking as freshly-minted as a new penny. With two muted clicks the doors were opened, and Greg and Tina settled into the leather seats, admiring the construction.

“You guys did a fantastic job. I’ve seen a few of these and none of them ever had the fit and finish of this one. You can tell it’s custom – she’s perfect, unlike an assembly-line car. Everything is just so.” Greg’s admiring words went straight to Wing and Smokey’s pride – as it was their work he was praising- as they enjoyed the admiring looks of the seated couple and the passers-by. It seemed like every third person was taking pictures, and the cellphone flashes were a near-continuous flicker.

“This is so sleek – it’s nothing like the Tiger – but I like it – a lot. It’s got the same feel as the Tiger though – it wants to go – and go fast. How does it handle on the road?”

“It’s like no ordinary car. This one is nowhere like a stock DMC-12 – the suspension is modified and it’s got the fire-breathing V8 Al shoehorned into the back of it. This thing does NOT want to sit still…ever. Even when it is, it’s doing a hundred miles an hour.”

“The way we built it – if it’s maintained it will look this good a century from now. He insisted we take the long view on this one – all the components are treated and finished to a high standard. The components added and changed are all of the highest standard as well – and all the changes and modifications noted.

If we printed it, the file on this thing would be a three foot stack of paper. Every last component touched, added, changed…all documented. This car was an archaeological dig as much as a build – and Al made DAMN sure it was all documented.

Oh, crap…AL. Smokey, what time is it?”

Smokey looked resigned – he’d noticed the time a few minutes ago, and had said nothing. “He’s gonna kill us…but it was WORTH IT. All ‘cept the nearly gettin’ arrested part…”

“Damn. Yeah, you’re right. We’ve got to roll, though – we were supposed to be back in an hour tops – and it’s more than that now.”

Becky came out of the shop with a box containing coffees, a go-box, and pastries. “Here, Tina – I got it ready and brought it out.” A quick shuffle of occupants took place, the box was handed in and placed in the back of the car, and Wing tossed Tina a stack of bills saying “I’ll pick up my change later….seeya!”

With a muted thrum of power and Smokey behind the wheel the DeLorean rolled out and headed back for Minnetonka.

As they left, Greg pulled out his cellphone, swiped and pressed a few keys, then said “Call Limey”.

“Al, Greg. Two really worried mechanics and a time machine just pulled out of Mucho Mocha, headed back in your direction.”

He listened for a moment, then responded.

“No, no problems – at least none with the car. Wing revved it, and I overreacted. Their being late is all my fault, not theirs – they got delayed by a close encounter with Minneapolis’ Finest – namely one Officer Justin.”

He listened again, mostly to laughter and some very creative cursing. Following that, a question.

“Damn, Al, it’s a beauty. I’ve never seen one that looked that good – and I’ve seen more than a few cars. Your team did a fantastic job – Buck is going to be one very happy man with that car. Never seen one that looked that good, or sounded that good.

I did want to check in with you – don’t be hard on them – like I said the delay’s all my fault, not theirs.”

Once more, he listened.

“Yes, I’ll give Miss Annie a hug for you – gladly! Hug and a kiss to Daisy, as well. Bravo, Al – your people knocked it out of the park.”

With that, Greg hung up and returned to the coffee shop to clean up his mess. Maybe he needed to switch to decaf….
Dave

Post by Dave »