Doing it right...

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Doing it right...

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote: Great, zombie bugs...
Oh Shneekey! Need a Monk assist!

Oh, and this time, ignore the mage, no banana pulls.
I don't care what they are...still beats pickled carrots....

Speaking of zombie bugs - anyone ever see "Damnation Alley" with George Peppard?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

Just Old Al wrote:

Speaking of zombie bugs - anyone ever see "Damnation Alley" with George Peppard?
Oh, yes! Jan-Michael Vincent and George Peppard go all-terrain!

It aways bothered me how little the script had to do with the Roger Zelazny novel. It's basically the same problem I had with them using the title, Bladerunner, from an Alan Nourse novel about an illegal black market for medical services for a movie based on the Philip K. Dick novel, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, about runaway synthetic humans.
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:

Yeah, and I wish I hadn't. Heebie-jeebie central.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just Old Al wrote: I don't care what they are...still beats pickled carrots....

Oh, is THAT what the ambulance is supposed to be based upon? ;)

As for the French Millipede - if no one got the joke, it's supposed to be batter-dipped Millipedes, which are considered a breakfast delicacy among the Fae. :P
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:As for the French Millipede - if no one got the joke, it's supposed to be batter-dipped Millipedes, which are considered a breakfast delicacy among the Fae. :P
À la French Toast, you mean?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Once more, with feeling: If they eat meat, they are usually centipedes, not millipedes,
That's just what the millipedes want you to think... and most people won't realize the truth until the millipede apocalypse begins. :twisted:
You know, Dave, just because you got a mention in the book doesn't mean you get to keep punning along...
lake_wrangler wrote:À la French Toast, you mean?
Oui, mon ami.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Western Pacific Ocean-
11 degrees 19' North, 142 degrees 15' East- South of Guam.
The chartered boat rolled with the rough swells that were generated by Typhoon Melor to the West- nothing the boat couldn't handle. The journey getting there started with a redeye to Anderson Air Force Base on the island of Guam- from there, due south on the charter until a specific destination was met.
Heading up the expedition was Senior Director Oduya. Agent Adeobie, her Daughter Jin and Agent Budur were present as well as Agents Pratt and McBride. Along with this happy crew were three MIB men and the captain of the worthy vessel. Two cases accompanied the lot as they braved the less- than- friendly ocean.
"You've lost that bloating you picked up a few days ago there, Suzi- special diet?"
Suzi grinned back at Lily- "They were properly identified... they weren't tore up TOO badly anyways... you know, there's some NASTY things running around that town..."
"Hmph... yea... like us..."
Both snickered.
MIB Agent Hubbard came down from the bridge- "Ladies, we are at the designated co-ordinates... the Captain of the vessel is being ... controlled ... by Dermas and Jones... I believe we may proceed,"
Agent Budur kicked open the smaller trunk- out popped Tepoz.
"FINALLY! Yah, it gets cramped in there!"
"Jin, would you like the honor of opening the big crate?" Brandi offered.
"Yes, I believe I would," she responded as she started popping the latches.
Inside the crude container was the ceramic sculpture that was Nodaki.
"Hi there, asshole- remember me? I am human again... and as you can see, I carry life. I got my life back, and then some. You, on the other hand, wouldn't even make a good lawn ornament... I'm not even sure you can hear me, but it feels good to rub this in your face. You will be immortal after all... and here it is, not quite Winter Solstice, and you are probably already wishing for death... Thymbris tried to tell you, you know... well, I'm tired of looking at your ugly face, so I'm going to turn you over to Mother,"
Mayahuel wandered over to the macabre statue- "You know, I'm not sure I even want to talk to you. You're incapable of learning anything that resembles decency, you never worried about anyone other than yourself... I understand you had your own Mother murdered for some stupid reason or another... so... I guess I am glad you will never gain death. Sucks to be you..."
Brandi herself came over to pay her respects... "I am disappointed that I didn't get to fry off your tiny, near useless balls and pecker, but to know you will spend the rest of eternity feeling that loss makes me VERY happy. I will rejoice in your suffering, you useless excuse of a man... how many girls died in your attempts to create a golem army? Hundreds? and the only successful one are on this boat? You were never more than a colossal failure, regardless of your perverted self- image... but you are only getting what you deserve,"
Finally, Bud stepped up. She looked directly into Nodaki's glazed eyes for a good ten minutes.
"YOU ain't SHIT!" she finally said, "Send him off- he's not worth my breath,"
Brandi on one side, Mayahuel on the other, he was hoisted out of the box, lifted to the rail and poised over the rough seas-
"Deepest known part of the Marianas Trench! You will never be found... and if you are, you will wind up in a museum after they scrape the barnacles off you," Lily rattled off, " Ta-ta!"

SPLASH!

"Tell Captain Ahab we can head back home- Tepoz, get back in the box. Girls," Brandi finished, "When we get home, the drinks are on me,"
"Let me stay out of the box and the drinks are on me," Tepoz countered.

Rough water and all, it was still a pleasant sail home.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We need something small to wrap up Epilogue 1... Hey! How about a little reveal?
---
"Uncle Jeremiah?"

"Yes, Devyn?"

"Atsali told me you were part of that whole incident at Pillsbury A-Mill."

Billens steeled himself slightly.

"Yes, I was," he nodded, putting away the report he was working on.

"I… I was wondering," she said, a blush coming over her face, "if… you could tell me about it? There's a lot of stuff that's being said at school, and Atsali doesn't really wanna talk about it – and you know about the Paranormal Times…"

Billens sighed.

"Devyn, sweetie," he began, "It was a bit difficult to describe what happened. Even I'm not entirely sure what all happened, and who was involved…"

He looked at his half-niece. It had taken him years to find out that her mother was his sister – though her mother was born to a helead named Laconis. They hadn't met, formally, until after the whole 2012 debacle had been worked out; at that time, Bud had managed to track her down – as a way of saying thanks for all he'd done to help "establish" the agency that became the MIB.

"…This isn't for a report, or anything, is it?"

She shook her head.

"Well." He looked at the stack of papers still on his desk. "I could use a break. Let's see if your mom still has any of that cheesecake left over from the Christmas Eve party…"
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

?

Did Glytch and John miss Christmas? Did I miss something? What? Huh?

Or did ... Was this... And that was... What about... :?

Uh.

Time warp?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:...
?

Uh.

Time warp?
No, I was just trying to resolve my little pieces of the epilogue. :P
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

?

Uh.

Time warp?

NOPE, not Christmas yet. Yule is gone by, though youngster, so get a move on!
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
?

Uh.

Time warp?

NOPE, not Christmas yet. Yule is gone by, though youngster, so get a move on!
Doesn't Yule=Christmas? Wait, are you guys waiting on me?

EDIT

Al just gave me a friendly elbow to the ribs... I forgot something, due to it not being on my master checklist! WOOPSIES!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote: Doesn't Yule=Christmas? What, are you guys waiting on me?
No, Yule is 3 days before - it's the Solstice or at least that's when I celebrate it. Christmas is the 25th.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Glytch plunked his leather bag on the sofa before going around the room, shaking hands and hugging people all around. Even Buck pulled him into a... Solid... Hug before handing him off to Atsali, who wrapped herself around Glytch, holding tight.
"Woah, ah... Heh heh... It's not like I'm going away forever. I'll probably come around once in a while..."
"I know... I just wanted to say... Thanks. Nadette... She, uh... noticed." Atsali whispered.
"Well, good! I'm glad to hear things are going well!"
Castela scurried up to Glytch, and he swept her up into his arms. "G'bye, Glytch! I, I hope you, you, you come back soon!"
"Me too, little butterfly..."

Next was Billens, who shook his hand, and Brandi, who pulled Glytch into an unexpected hug. Once she released him, Brandi gave Glytch a very pointed look. "That puke Ray..."
"I've already dismantled it. I know it's patented."
"Good!"

More handshakes and hugs, before Glytch finally came to Al and Sarge, exchanging handshakes with both. "Thanks for bringing me in, Sarge... And thanks for letting me play at the factory, Al..."

A temporary portal opened up behind him and Nudge stepped through. "Well, Übergeek? Ready to go?"
"Not really... But I have stuff to take care of. Bye, everyone! See you soon!"

And with that, Glytch picked up his leather bag and followed Nudge into the portal hallway. As the door closed behind him, Glytch chuckled. "Normal life is going to seem so much more boring now... I don't think I can go back to being a normal person."
"Who said you're normal?" Nudge snorted.
"You're one to talk... No... I meant living in the unaware world."
"Well... I heard the Cerberus Club is expanding its business... I think they opened a burger bar in Peoria recently. Paranormal friendly. You'd get a kick out of their menu."
"Huh. I'll have to try that out. Thanks. That and the Library... And I might pay Tina a visit at her shop for a hot chocolate sometime... Yeah... I'm sure I can find some good excitement..."
Nudge's tone changed slightly, and a chill ran down Glytch's back. "Who knows, you might get a full-blown adventure... Just be careful what you wish for."

----------

John packed the last of his new clothes into the cardboard boxes as Bud helped him tape it shut. Glytch and the elves were gone... Everyone else was leaving soon, too. I might as well get going too... At least the kid helped me with my passwords...
"Is that everything?"
"Yeah, I think so," John pulled a folded-up note from his pocket and dropped it on the nightstand before shouldering two boxes. Bud picked up the other two while Brandi took the last one.
"Are you sure you don't want to say goodbye?" Brandi gave John a pointed stare.
"I... Already did. I'm good."
"Hmph... Allright."
*Poit!*

Edward poked his head in and looked around... The bed was made, the furniture was unburnt, the little trash can was empty. Everything seemed to be in order... Except for a folded-up square of copy paper.
"What's this?" The butler picked up the paper and unfolded it, reading as he went.

Dear Club Alexander,

Thank you all for allowing me into your lives. I am extremely happy to have been able to help how I could, and am endlessly grateful for the help you have given me, just in your acceptance and willingness to bear with me. My time with you all has helped me enormously, as I have learned much about myself and my abilities... As well as made some friends.

Should any of you require my assistance, do not hesitate to ask, and I will come as swiftly as I can.

Thanks again,

John Smith.

"Hmm. I'd better give this to the lady... No doubt she'll want to share this with everyone." Edward smoothed the blanket on the bed and departed to locate his employer.
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sarge and Al watched Glytch step through the portal. Both sighed - they'd taken quite a liking to the young lad, Al particularly

"Now, where the hell were we?" Sarge remarked. "Same place we always are - arguing.about something. You were saying we didn't need a horizontal mill in the shop space, and I mentioned that it could be used for your roughing out operations - nothing moves metal like a horizontal mill. They're cheap, too."

Yeah, but the floor space for a good one is large..." They turned, mugs in hand, and headed back to the office to spread out the floor plans of #2 again.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Christmas morning dawned cold and clear - there had been snow the day or two before, and this lent a picturesque white to the scenery about the Alexander farm. Over in the guest house, shouts of joy erupted from Castela as she came downstairs to a present-laden tree. Atsali followed soon after, yawning but just as happy to take part. Buck and Katherine, in pajamas and robes with steaming cups of coffee in their hands and arms around each other looked on, enjoying Pickle's excitement and Atsali's sleepy pleasure.

In the main house, the adults woke. Al and Daisy were in no hurry to rise, having found a warm spot but the needs of the body drove them from their nest. Cinnamon and Rowdy would rise as suited them, and the staff rose as suited them on Christmas. Dinner was to be the main meal of the day, so no one needed to rise early.

Al headed for the kitchen to brew coffee - his synapses were barely capable of that without caffeine. Daisy returned to bed, snuggling back into the warmth. Brewing duties over and full thermal pots of comfort in the kitchen for those who wished to partake, Al headed back for the bedroom, with a tray of coffee and pastries.

Settled with scones and coffee, they relaxed, soaking in the relaxation. Al realized that the later promised in the firefight was now.

"Love, we need to talk."

Daisy froze, scone halfway to mouth. Uh-oh. What the hell was the old fool going to bring up now?

"ohkayyyyy....what?"

As an answer, Al got out of bed, went around to the other side where Daisy was, and got down on one knee. "Daisy Alexander, will you marry me?"

"Rosalynd. Daisy is my family - paddock name. My proper name is Rosalynd."

"Rosalynd Alexander, you are the most captivating, infuriating, mysterious and wonderful woman I have ever met. Will you take this poor man as a husband?"

"Well, I don't know. I've had so many offers this week...let me get back to you on it...OF COURSE I WILL, you silly man. I said so before, and I will say yes, no matter how many times you ask me. I hadn't forgotten...and we will tell our grandchildren of that proposal till they're sick of hearing of it."

Becoming suddenly serious, Al said, "I am glad to hear it. Promises made in the heat of the moment can sometimes be regretted. I had to be sure."

Daisy carefully put her cup down, moved her plate - and slapped Al across the back of the head.

"OW! What the Hades was THAT for?!?"

"THAT was for doubting me, you silly man. I am DONE with this."

She reached over to the bedside and picked up the phone. Dialing a number, she spoke briefly.

"Bob? Daisy over at the Alexander place. I'm coming over. Yes, I know I planned this for next week...shut up and get a move on." She hung up.

"Get your act together. We're out of here."

Al was confused. "But it's Christmas - where are we going? "

"You'll see when we get there. Shut up, get dressed, and move it out."

Bemused, Al complied. He loved her when she was like this.

----------------------------------

"...and I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride - not like you haven't already."

Standing in the warm glow of a fire in the judge's living room, Al and Daisy kissed enthusiastically. The judge's wife and two daughters, pressed into service as witnesses, hugged the happy couple and bussed Daisy.

"Sign this." A form - predated three days - and a pen were shoved under Al's nose, Pulling out his old Cross pen, he complied and handed the form back. This was all just a LITTLE too smooth for Al's belief in chance - and he had no doubt this was a setup.

With a "Well?" on his face, he stared at Daisy, while the judge and his family laughed at the scene.

"Well...you'd proposed, but you hadn't DONE anything about it. I thought you were going to do something stupid like want to go to Vegas or something, so I...set this up. I was going to get Bob to do the service next week, but you drove me nuts this morning with your waffling and uncertainty. Soooo...I pulled the trigger on it."

"Brilliant. Just bloody brilliant. Scheming woman. Utter harridan. I don't know why I love you so much. Let's go home...wife."

"Home we go...husband."

There was utter pandemonium at lunch that day. When everyone had gathered at the table but Daisy and Al, Edward walked out of the kitchen and solemnly intoned "Please stand". When the family, mystified, did so, he announced "Mr. Allan Richer and Mrs. Rosalynd Alexander-Richer" as Daisy and Al walked out of the kitchen behind him.

The room went nuts.

Noise level approaching that of an airport runway, the family converged on the happy couple. Backs were slapped ,people kissed, crushing hugs delivered and accepted, and children happily swung around the room in a further round of hugging.

Pickle reached up and tugged on Al's hand.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Does-does this mean I c'n-c'n call you Grampa now? Mama said-said that I coon't call you that till you and Gramma Daisy got your thumbs out...what's that mean?"

Laughing unashamedly at the horrified look on Katherine and Buck's faces Al said "Yes, Pickle, you can call me Grandpa." With that, he knelt and collected a fierce hug from his new granddaughter.

Lunch was especially festive that day.

------------------------------------

Even before the battle agreement had been made that this Christmas dinner was to be all of the Club Alexander crowd, save the honeymoon couple who were off on their travels. Assembled again for the last time, they were all there - the golems, the MIB crowd, Jin, Alan, Kevin, Stan and Tina, Jet and Monica, and of course Neil and Greg with Phix and Miss Annie. Even Safyr and Emerauld came in, despite their dislike of artificial lights. Glytch popped in via the Library and happily joined the proceedings. John Smith even made an appearance, finally starting to relax and connect with humanity in his own way. The Alexander children and their children were all there as well - perhaps not completely themselves but getting there.

Once again Edward came out, told everyone to stand and announced the wedded couple - and if the cacophony of the lunch announcement was an airport runway, the evening was the explosion of Glytch's DEMP by comparison. The couple were mobbed - Greg, Neil and the other men folk surrounding Al and shaking hands, backslapping and making ribald comments about wedding nights. The ladies all converged on Daisy, who proudly showed off her wedding band (which she had purchased - a fact Al was never to live down). The bride was kissed by many - by some more than once - and Al nearly had the stuffing hugged out of him by the ladies.

With the announcement out of the way, the dinner and merriment shifted into high gear. Eggnog flowed, wines were sipped, comestibles of all sorts enjoyed and a relaxing time had before dinner.

------------------------------------

"Okay, folks, gather round." Daisy called, pulling folks together before dinner started. "ROSALITA! EDWARD! COME ON OUT!"

With everyone gathered, Al reached into a closet and started to pull out packages and handing them to Daisy. She was checking sizes and handing them to people who would fit them, and soon everyone had a gaily wrapped package in their hands - and all began to open them at one.

The screams of disgust and merriment filled the air. Each of the packages contained exactly one item - a sweater, woven of thick cotton.

An uglier sweater would have been banned as a weapon of mass disgust by the Geneva Convention - and this one was treading close to the edge.

Bilious green in colour, each sweater contained exactly one decoration - a knitted-in picture of Santa. However, in this case Santa was...a centaur. A very buff centaur. Wearing a red and white Santa hat, he was bare-chested, exposing toned abs, and a white equine body. ( the sweater can be seen *here*)

It was horrific. It was the funniest thing Al had ever seen - and when he ran across it in a catalogue he had to order one for everyone in the house. Even the elves were endowed with sweaters - they understood wrapping for presents and eagerly opened them - but were a bit confused by all the shouting and merriment around the gifts.

"Vel'bol zhah xusst xuil l'belbol? Roxuc whol warmth, lu'naut morfel d'elg'cahlen," queried Safyr.What is wrong with the gift? Practical for warmth, and not made of poisons.

"Usstan tlun naut zhaunus. Dos shlu'ta joros Glytch gajak. Usstan xal tlu gajen," replied Emerauld, her back turned.I am not sure. You can ask Glytch later. I may be late.

Truth is, Emerauld was fully aware of the significance of the "ugly sweater" gift, but she wanted to see her sister wear it so badly, she figured a bit of redirection was acceptable. She just needed to make sure Glytch was unavailable until much, much later.

"Dinner tonight is officially declared an ugly sweater party...you need not ask what you're wearing." On that note, everyone pulled on their sweaters - and a sight further outside the bounds of good taste had never been seen before and would be remembered fondly as long as they all lived. With that, the cheers were even louder, and the family, like many other families that day - was at home for Christmas.

During dinner, one figure disappeared for a short time. Emerauld shadowstepped into the currently unoccupied kitchen - Daisy having insisted that Edward and his staff sit for dinner with the rest. She stole up to the bell - now hanging serenely in its bracket on the wall. "Llentol", she said, and the bell sounded beautifully, quietly.

Eme reached up and stroked it with a finger. It was one of her favorite jobs - the recasting and repair of the bell and its conversion into a guardian for the family Alexander.

As long as there was an Alexander in residence where the bell hung it would guard them. Should any danger threaten it would sound loud and long, warning of trouble in time to take precautions. In this way even long after today she would be there at least in small part, keeping her friends safe even unto generations yet unborn or even thought of.

She stroked the bell again, hearing a tiny peal from it as her finger caressed the shining, smooth metal. With that, she prayed.

“Senger lu'Jallil, qualla kyorl 'zil er'griff dos shlu'ta l'lodias vel'uss dro wun nindol qu'ellar, lu'nind dalharen, lu'nind dalharen p'luin mina. Nind ph'jal dosst dalharen 'zil al, lu'ssrig'luin dos 'zil Usstan xun.” "Lord and Lady, please guard as only you can the people who live in this house, and their children, and their children after them. They are all your children as well, and need you as I do."

With that, she left quietly the way she came, and the runes on the bell glowed softly, as if in reply.

FIN.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And that gets us through Epilogue 1... basically.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The Monday after Christmas was a hell-bender for the post-holiday rush... but the smaller businesses had no pandemonium like the big box stores- Such it was at Mucho Mocha, where for the first time in months, Tina opened shop without fear. There was a rush of congratulatory regulars, more that a few burnt-out shoppers to be sure... but even so, the pace was busy without being hectic. About mid afternoon, things died down to a crawl- that was when Bud walked in.
Tina's eyes almost popped! She tilted her head slightly as she looked at Bud-
"Medium Cappuccino with froth," she rattled off with a smile.
"How did you...? wait a minute, you can't read my aura... can you?"
Tina leaned over the counter and dropped her lids to half mast- then beckoned Bud forward with a crooked finger. When the confused Bud was in whispering range, Tina whispered-
"Kevin rang your charms last night, didn't he?"
Bud Gasped! How could she possibly know?!? Bud had no aura to read... that's what she had been told... by this very woman, it should be noted. And right on cue,
"You have an Aura, my dear- and right now it's registering some pretty happy stuff... as in OFF THE CHART happy stuff!... and I have no idea how you got one, but it looks good on you,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:And that gets us through Epilogue 1... basically.
And just how many epilogues do you plan on making?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And that gets us through Epilogue 1... basically.
And just how many epilogues do you plan on making?
:twisted:

Does a whole self-sustaining continuity count? We've got a gold mine for story asking here... Both with Paul's altered characters and our own.

It's like our own little universe as our plaything! MUAHAHAHA!
[von zinzer] HEY! Cut that out! [/von zinzer]

Ahem. Anyway... I can see this thing continuing on for a long time, especially if all of the authors stay interested.
I'm too much!