WTF ARE WE DOING???

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: WTF ARE WE DOING???

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:On the subject of media players, I did set up custom settings, and actually deselected all the choices on Mint's default install of VLC, and made Smplayer default with all choices selected. I couldn't figure out how to uninstall the gorramin' thing(VLC), or I would have. I'm a bit picky about my music(I had 8.1 surround Altec Lansing speakers for my PC), so I had to set up an equalizer for music, and make theatre settings for watching videos, and another for audiobooks...
In Linux Mint, you can go to the Software Center or Synaptic, search for VLC, and uninstall it from there. You could also go in a Terminal window, and the command would be:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove vlc
or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge vlc
(This option also removes all configuration files)

In either case, you have to remember to include "sudo", and provide your password, to get the rights needed to remove the application. But really, why remove it? It takes very little room on the hard drive, and I wouldn't be surprised that one day, you will run across a file that smplayer can't play but VLC can. Anyway, that's your decision to make, and there is no value judgement attached to it. (I.e. choosing one over the other does not make a person better or worse for it...)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm rubber-stamping a big 'Mee Too' all over LW's post of factual information...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Sudo is quite powerful.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Thank you.

VLC just seems to hate my video card/soundcard combo, and until it dies, I see no reason to shell out several thousand on another custom rig.

By todays standards, Xeon procs and Geforce FX 8800GT in SLI and an Audigy soundcard are old fossils, but I like them...they're comfortable.

I can't even upgrade a winBLOWS OS for it(which is why my buddy got me set up with CrossOver), so I run Mint. I was dual booting XP64pro and Mint, but MS bricked my drives saying my very expensive OS disc I got from them was pirated, so I made them fix the issue. Currently waiting to see if hp will replace my laptop drive MS bricked.
When I can get someone to reset my RAID and storage drives, I get the fun of reinstalling about a half a tb of OS, graphics software, and games(Vue Infinite, Poser Pro, Daz Studio, Maya, plus ALL of my content, then streamline the libraries...not fun).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

WE HAVE PERMISSION!!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

WOOOT!

Pablo musta realized we're the same geeks who've been buying his stuff for YEARS!!! :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yeeha! That's great news!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Heh heh heh...

(On top of this my good friend in the country wants to start his own radio program on the local community station, completely independent of this thread I assure you.) <-- I'm likely going to attend the 'How to Make Radio Programs' they offer and can add that to the mix, despite this here not actually going out over the airwaves, per se.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:Heh heh heh...

(On top of this my good friend in the country wants to start his own radio program on the local community station, completely independent of this thread I assure you.) <-- I'm likely going to attend the 'How to Make Radio Programs' they offer and can add that to the mix, despite this here not actually going out over the airwaves, per se.
There's no reason to not use a similar format- what you learn in Radio applies directly. OH! We have to PLASTER it with links to WAPSI SQUARE, Naturally....
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I would like to offer my services as voice actor for various male parts. I used to work the RenFaire circuit so I can do several different sorts of cheesy British accents, from Liverpool to Cockney to formal, plus Scottish (Irish keeps turning into scottish if I try it too long). And many others. Ask Dinky about 'Barrel Man'.

I've already got Audacity and VLC on my computer, although my only recording device is a USB headset at the moment. Running Linux Mint right now, and got a bit of a beast of a computer. AM3+ board, 3.5Ghz 8 core proc (with OC deliberately disabled due to lack of proper cooling solutions), so I can probably at least do a master recording even if I don't do a speaking part.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:I would like to offer my services as voice actor for various male parts. I used to work the RenFaire circuit so I can do several different sorts of cheesy British accents, from Liverpool to Cockney to formal, plus Scottish (Irish keeps turning into scottish if I try it too long). And many others. Ask Dinky about 'Barrel Man'.

I've already got Audacity and VLC on my computer, although my only recording device is a USB headset at the moment. Running Linux Mint right now, and got a bit of a beast of a computer. AM3+ board, 3.5Ghz 8 core proc (with OC deliberately disabled due to lack of proper cooling solutions), so I can probably at least do a master recording even if I don't do a speaking part.

Welcome aboard!!! We are currently tied the hell up with "Doing it right", (AKA "Thicker than Blood") but will indeed start progress with the aformentioned insanity once we have recovered from the one in progress.
BTW- if you have ever been considered 'normal', 'predictable', 'conformist' or even 'sane'... you might want to reconsider your application...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:I would like to offer my services as voice actor for various male parts. I used to work the RenFaire circuit so I can do several different sorts of cheesy British accents, from Liverpool to Cockney to formal, plus Scottish (Irish keeps turning into scottish if I try it too long). And many others. Ask Dinky about 'Barrel Man'.

Welcome aboard!!! We are currently tied the hell up with "Doing it right", (AKA "Thicker than Blood") but will indeed start progress with the aformentioned insanity once we have recovered from the one in progress.
BTW- if you have ever been considered 'normal', 'predictable', 'conformist' or even 'sane'... you might want to reconsider your application...
Cheesy? Cheesy doesn't begin to cover it.

Insane, bawdy, inappropriate(except maybe on Sunday if you were trolling certain churches)...

Completely irreverent, unabashedly, superfluously, eloquently, firmly stuck in comedic, needs to make damned sure my tea cup is nowhere near my face, ditto with food, and if you make me ruin yet another keyboard, so help me God Shneekey, I'm gonna beat you, and not in the fun sort of way.

You still owe me...let's see...I quit counting after the first two.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Shneekey, mate - welcome aboard. Al's accent is primarily Midlands, though rather faded because of his time in various hellholes including the US. A toned down Londoner would do nicely for him, as he is educated. However you will hear an occasional "Ayup, meduck".

Sarge, been onto some new chemistry for the shake - sign me up for some of the MIB agent bits. I can't maintain all that long, but the smaller parts should be fine.

ajr
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
ShneekeyTheLost

Sgt. Howard wrote:Welcome aboard!!! We are currently tied the hell up with "Doing it right", (AKA "Thicker than Blood") but will indeed start progress with the aformentioned insanity once we have recovered from the one in progress.
No, no one has ever dared using any of those things to describe me in... umm... actually, now that I think about it I don't think any of those things has ever been used in reference to me.

Also, instead of Skype, may I suggest Mumble? Far lower latency and much less lag all 'round.

I spent the past three days going through Doing It Right. If y'all weren't already wrapping it up, I'd offer my amateurish authorial services on that front as well, however there's little to contribute at this late date. Perhaps next time. Or perhaps I could start writing my own brand of insanity. I have a number of characters I've written about which could slot in Waspiverse pretty easily.
DinkyInky wrote:Cheesy? Cheesy doesn't begin to cover it.

Insane, bawdy, inappropriate(except maybe on Sunday if you were trolling certain churches)...

Completely irreverent, unabashedly, superfluously, eloquently, firmly stuck in comedic, needs to make damned sure my tea cup is nowhere near my face, ditto with food, and if you make me ruin yet another keyboard, so help me God Shneekey, I'm gonna beat you, and not in the fun sort of way.

Thank yew, thank yew, I'll be 'round all noight. And yes, I haven't forgotten. In fact... hmmm... let's just say I'd hold off on making any purchases of keyboards for your pad thingie until after Christmas. After reading Doing It Right, it is absolutely and completely the least I could do to... look into options for you.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:No, no one has ever dared using any of those things to describe me in... umm... actually, now that I think about it I don't think any of those things has ever been used in reference to me.

Also, instead of Skype, may I suggest Mumble? Far lower latency and much less lag all 'round.

I spent the past three days going through Doing It Right. If y'all weren't already wrapping it up, I'd offer my amateurish authorial services on that front as well, however there's little to contribute at this late date. Perhaps next time. Or perhaps I could start writing my own brand of insanity. I have a number of characters I've written about which could slot in Waspiverse pretty easily.
DinkyInky wrote:Cheesy? Cheesy doesn't begin to cover it.

Thank yew, thank yew, I'll be 'round all noight. And yes, I haven't forgotten. In fact... hmmm... let's just say I'd hold off on making any purchases of keyboards for your pad thingie until after Christmas. After reading Doing It Right, it is absolutely and completely the least I could do to... look into options for you.
Um, I'm not entitely sure the Wapsiverse would survive "Bluebell", Emerauld, and Nudge all in one geographical location. The other two have...less than zero sense of humour, so...one of them would at least threaten to evis...evisce...disembowel thingy to the pranking trio at least twice before they got the hint...

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote: Thank yew, thank yew, I'll be 'round all noight. And yes, I haven't forgotten. In fact... hmmm... let's just say I'd hold off on making any purchases of keyboards for your pad thingie until after Christmas. After reading Doing It Right, it is absolutely and completely the least I could do to... look into options for you.
Gods, we got a live one here, folks....

WOOHOO! Another nut fell off the tree.

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote: Thank yew, thank yew, I'll be 'round all noight. And yes, I haven't forgotten. In fact... hmmm... let's just say I'd hold off on making any purchases of keyboards for your pad thingie until after Christmas. After reading Doing It Right, it is absolutely and completely the least I could do to... look into options for you.
Gods, we got a live one here, folks....

WOOHOO! Another nut fell off the tree.

Al
Do we need to shoot this one too?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

If you must shoot him, might I recommend using a Browning(Colt) 1911?

Send him off with a smile.

*hides in the shadows from the Shneekey*

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: WOOHOO! Another nut fell off the tree.

Al

Do we need to shoot this one too?
If ya gotta ask...it's safer to just do it. Glytch is bad enough - though this one just seems crazy rather than technomage crazy. LOTS easier to deal with.
ShneekeyTheLost

DinkyInky wrote:If you must shoot him, might I recommend using a Browning(Colt) 1911?

Send him off with a smile.

*hides in the shadows from the Shneekey*
Youuuuu're Despicable.

Having said that, I would agree. If it must be done, at least let it be done by an old friend like the 1911. It'll at least be quick. It isn't typically referred to as a Browning, even though I believe they were involved. Everyone just knows it as the Colt M1911A1, or alternately as the .45ACP. Good, reliable sidearm, saw a lot of service in the second world war until they tried to phase it out with the M1 Carbine. Even up to 'Nam, they were still using 'em. Good choice.

And don't worry, I may be crazy, but I'm more P.T. Barnum crazy than Sparky crazy. Having said that, did you know that your motherboard has a resonance frequency, and the diagnostic sysbeep mike can be used to make a pitch at any number of frequencies? Why bother crashing your opponent, when he can just boot from backup using ICE in minutes, when you can blow up his motherboard and force him to replace hardware? Just something for Glytch to keep in mind next time someone starts being obnoxious.