WTF ARE WE DOING???

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Warrl

Re: WTF ARE WE DOING???

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:if you're uploading anything other than a text file using FTP, remember to use the "binary" or "image" command before transferring. Otherwise a carriage-return/newline edit will be applied to the file and it will be corrupted by the transfer.
And a ZIPped text file is "other than a text file".
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You could always do what I did: download WSFTP_LE, and use it, with the correct credentials, as provided by AmariloJim (he can PM the info to you), you can upload any size file effortlessly.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I'm wanting the upload widget for those of us who can record a file using Audacity but would prefer not to get into the file manipulation end of things.

WSFTP_LE is good... haven't used it in close to a decade. I've used Filezilla since '02... workhorse.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Audacity is a lift-off!!! I have recorded and deleted many things- mostly to protect the limited memory status of this laptop. We now seem to have an issue with performers- or perhaps a temporary auditions freeze, I am not sure. But I am reasonably impressed by what this program can do- and convinced that it will allow us to accomplish whatever we want. Atomic- your 'the ticket' would make a perfect 'one man play' with the right background music and images... and you 'own' all the characters. Meanwhile, I'm chasing down some local talent here to flesh out 'two Sergeants' and future work... found me a genuine Limey, I did- and induce him to perform I shall... also found a saucy young girl who can do 'Tina'... Miss Annie will do 'Phix' in future productions, as she will play opposite of me and work with genuine emotions.
Meanwhile... remember 'Starry Starry Suit"?

It's in the key of 'G'
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, you haven't mentioned anything about the rest... does that mean you approve? (À la "no news is good news?")
Wait a minute: were you even part of the interviewing staff? ;)
(But seriously, what do you think of the rest?)
Great voice, good diction and cadence. If you could move your accent closer to Norfolk NE (Johnny Carson's hometown), the narration would become much clearer. Your voice carries a discernible Creole/Bayou influence that would suit you better to character roles.
Interesting. I've never been told that, before. It's funny: when I first started working at a summer camp in Ontario, at the age of 16, I still lived in Québec City. But I had mastered English enough that I did not have the "typical" Québec French accent when speaking in English. So I was asked if I was East European (sometimes Russian, sometimes Austrian); I think I was asked once if I was hispanic, possibly coming from Latin America; I know there were more, but I can't remember where, right now. But I always excelled at studies, and I always strove to progress in English and be the best at it that I could. They already couldn't tell what specific accent I had, but I would strive to not even have one, if I could. After spending 13 years away from the province of Québec, living in either the States for a while (one winter in Georgia, and a year in Philadelphia), or in Ontario (Kitchener and Campbellville, before getting married and going to the States, followed by Oshawa, then Toronto, when we returned from the States), I had progressed enough that when I returned to the province of Québec, some people who didn't know me actually thought I was an anglophone who just happened to speak very good French, albeit with an English accent...

So I guess changing my accent is not impossible, but it may take a lot of work. I may not be able to do so in the short time required for this endeavor.

Sgt. Howard wrote:Meanwhile, I'm chasing down some local talent here to flesh out 'two Sergeants' and future work... found me a genuine Limey, I did- and induce him to perform I shall... also found a saucy young girl who can do 'Tina'... Miss Annie will do 'Phix' in future productions, as she will play opposite of me and work with genuine emotions.
I'm guessing that you, unlike AmariloJim, are indeed part of the interviewing staff... So, given AmariloJim's comment about my accent, and the quite distinct possibility that I may not manage to modify it (or at least, not in time for our purposes), what are my chances of getting the narrator gig for this first radio drama? Or have I inadvertently convinced you of my inability to fill the shoes, by the very act of auditioning for it?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

AmriloJim wrote:WSFTP_LE is good... haven't used it in close to a decade.
That program is quite a blast from the past.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Meanwhile, I'm chasing down some local talent here to flesh out 'two Sergeants' and future work... found me a genuine Limey, I did- and induce him to perform I shall... also found a saucy young girl who can do 'Tina'... Miss Annie will do 'Phix' in future productions, as she will play opposite of me and work with genuine emotions.
I'm guessing that you, unlike AmariloJim, are indeed part of the interviewing staff... So, given AmariloJim's comment about my accent, and the quite distinct possibility that I may not manage to modify it (or at least, not in time for our purposes), what are my chances of getting the narrator gig for this first radio drama? Or have I inadvertently convinced you of my inability to fill the shoes, by the very act of auditioning for it?
I am sufficiently 'puter illiterate that I have yet to figure out how to get your bits to play- I am merely going on what I construe as your personal integrity on the subject. Insofar as my own efforts on the use of audacity, there is much I am still trying to figure out... like how to properly store a given effort or transfer it to somebody else. I have done a few multi-track efforts (which I think sound righteous! ) but wind up losing them when I close the program. I know I can figure this out, but it will take time... meanwhile, what program do I need to open your soud bites?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... meanwhile, what program do I need to open your sound bites?
VLC media player
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Lake Wrangler- wow... that is a remarkable accent- and had you not identified it, I would never have guessed that the language was French... of a sort. I kept thinking Eastern European, or Greek- it is understandable, and quite pleasant... I can see the ladies wilting to that, btw... and yes, I could easily use that for a narrator. I also see where you doing a limey is just wrong... my boys were laughing as you did the 'Intro' to 'Two Sergeants'

Here's a couple of lines I want to hear-

"The following was pre-recorded to give the audience and cast time to get out of town,"

"At no time was any talent found during this production,"

"This amusement carries my personal guarantee that if you are not completely satisfied, I don't know what you can do about it,"

"No trees were harmed in the making of this Radio Drama- but several electrons were horribly abused and inconvenienced,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Lake Wrangler- wow... that is a remarkable accent- and had you not identified it, I would never have guessed that the language was French... of a sort. I kept thinking Eastern European, or Greek- it is understandable, and quite pleasant... I can see the ladies wilting to that, btw... and yes, I could easily use that for a narrator. I also see where you doing a limey is just wrong... my boys were laughing as you did the 'Intro' to 'Two Sergeants'
*Is pleased*
Sgt. Howard wrote:Here's a couple of lines I want to hear-

"The following was pre-recorded to give the audience and cast time to get out of town,"

"At no time was any talent found during this production,"

"This amusement carries my personal guarantee that if you are not completely satisfied, I don't know what you can do about it,"

"No trees were harmed in the making of this Radio Drama- but several electrons were horribly abused and inconvenienced,"
Ha Ha ha! I actually laughed out loud after reading each one of those.

I should have time to work on that Tuesday evening.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

More blurbs-

Sgt. Howard is HEAVILY MEDICATED for YOUR PROTECTION.

All actors and actresses in this production are of the legal age of consent... except where they are not.

This production is brought to you in living color... as much as you can get out of your speakers

No, we do NOT know the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa's body, so stop asking,
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I do have an idea for a recording, but I don't have a no-vocal track to that lovely song the Sarge put in my story.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Dashing to the Rail?"

As I am figuring out 'Audacity' and have some musical ability, I would be happy to produce a 'Karaoke' tract of any song I have mentioned- chances are, if I inserted it, I can play it
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

BTW- I am still awaiting Paul's permission to do this....
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"Dashing to the Rail?"

As I am figuring out 'Audacity' and have some musical ability, I would be happy to produce a 'Karaoke' tract of any song I have mentioned- chances are, if I inserted it, I can play it
That would be it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Having read the most recent entries I've 'stream of consciousness'd this reply...

- Sarge; 'Memory' & 'Storage' are two differing things. You meant 'storage'. Memory is referring to the RAM =(Random Access Memory, ie. whats in use when the power is turned on...) otoh, 'Storage is the Filing Cabinet that is your Hard Drive, et al- in a nut shell, Storage remains when you save and exit, Memory disappears when you shut off the power.
Also, 'Memory' is your 'Desktop', in so much as what you have on the theoretical, virtual desktop that is what your are working on at any given time. To retain this desktop work you need to put it in a folder, a storage location, like a desk drawer.

"I was trying to run three intensive programs at the same time, but I need to upgrade my RAM to increase the MEMORY..."

"I ran out of room so I'm going to swap my Hard Drive for a larger one, to increase the STORAGE."

- lake_wrangler; I haven't yet downloaded/ listened to the available audio files. In that regard I'm replying while at the same time flying in the dark, still- I haven't yet read anything that is a deal killer re: your doing the Narration. In my recollecting you professed to having a baritone of some sort or the other, so it'll be you until you are killed or we find somebody better. (I'm paraphrasing 'Private Ryan', [steal from the best...]).

- Back to Sarge; Contact me re: PM- relative to 'I didn't save my work' in regards to Audacity. We will get it resolved in the wings, off stage, and can publish the Reader's Digest version in the Forum for the edification of others to gain from.

- Seconded the recommendation, no matter the OS platform of choice, to have EVERYBODY install VLC, even if you don't have any inclination to participate in this current effort. VLC is recommended, so go install it and enjoy yourself.

Dems' me tinks, fer now, more to follow.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:- Seconded the recommendation, no matter the OS platform of choice, to have EVERYBODY install VLC, even if you don't have any inclination to participate in this current effort. VLC is recommended, so go install it and enjoy yourself.

smplayer for me. VLC is too buggy for my tastes. It keeps hijacking everything, even when I tell it not to.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(smplayer, #2, VLC #1, mplayer forgotten in the background but is the basic underpinnings, xine for 'alt' when the others don't act right.)

VLC, for me, doesn't default to enough file formats. In any case it can be tuned to stop dealing, by default, with a given file type.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:- lake_wrangler; I haven't yet downloaded/ listened to the available audio files. In that regard I'm replying while at the same time flying in the dark, still- I haven't yet read anything that is a deal killer re: your doing the Narration.
That's nice to know
TazManiac wrote: In my recollecting you professed to having a baritone of some sort or the other,
Low bass. But I'll forgive you... This time... :P
TazManiac wrote:so it'll be you until you are killed or we find somebody better.
Oh, so I'm The Dark One, now, am I? So, where's the dagger with my name on it? Wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands... :twisted:
DinkyInky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:- Seconded the recommendation, no matter the OS platform of choice, to have EVERYBODY install VLC, even if you don't have any inclination to participate in this current effort. VLC is recommended, so go install it and enjoy yourself.

smplayer for me. VLC is too buggy for my tastes. It keeps hijacking everything, even when I tell it not to.
That's why it's always important, whenever installing a piece of software, to never use the default installation, but rather to use whatever custom installation options the installer gives you. In this case, it's so you can pick the file types you want associated with the program. Failing to do so at install is not a problem, though: you can go into the preferences and deselect the file types there, so you can associate them once more with whatever favorite media player you choose, afterwards.
TazManiac wrote:- Back to Sarge; Contact me re: PM- relative to 'I didn't save my work' in regards to Audacity. We will get it resolved in the wings, off stage, and can publish the Reader's Digest version in the Forum for the edification of others to gain from.
Just remember the difference between saving a project (which keeps all the audio files intact for later use), and exporting an audio file for use of that specific file for sharing with others.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote: In my recollecting you professed to having a baritone of some sort or the other,
Low bass. But I'll forgive you... This time... :P
Both ranges are very sexy. Famous ones...Josh Groban springs to mind for the former, Avi Kaplan for the latter.

On the subject of media players, I did set up custom settings, and actually deselected all the choices on Mint's default install of VLC, and made Smplayer default with all choices selected. I couldn't figure out how to uninstall the gorramin' thing(VLC), or I would have. I'm a bit picky about my music(I had 8.1 surround Altec Lansing speakers for my PC), so I had to set up an equalizer for music, and make theatre settings for watching videos, and another for audiobooks...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir