WTF ARE WE DOING???

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: WTF ARE WE DOING???

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:The best part about thermite is you can get the two ingredients, finely ground, as pigments in some paint shops. It's not really that expensive, either.
You can get one for free at practically any junkyard and the other is generated by most geeks in impressive quantities as a byproduct of consumption, although you have to powder it yourself. Granted, it is exceedingly more convenient to do as you mention, however it leaves a more obvious paper trail. Purchasing both substances in quantity at the same time tends to set off the same sorts of flags that someone not in the agriculture industry purchasing bulk quantities of certain types of fertilizer will set off, and generally will result in being quietly visited by those nice young men in suits and ray-bans for a quiet chat about your intents.
Cash, hoodie, and park the car around the corner. Also, shop in a rural, poor area... Less money floating around, so the security cameras aren't as good. And never buy at the same time or the same place. Preferably a minimum of one state away.

If you're really a troublemaker, park the car fifteen minutes away and remove the license plates before continuing, then park the car around the corner. Walk with a limp, lower your voice, speak softly, and use an accent. Don't remove the hood or baseball cap. If using a baseball cap, use spray-on hair dye and never look up. Hunch your back and keep your knees bent, especially when near any door frames.

Also, put your phone in the fridge before leaving home.

Can you tell I've spent waaay too much time thinking about this? :twisted:
Emerauld doing the Jager accent:

"Hokay hyu two! Kvit vit der Sparky plannink schtuff, better yet, dun even think about causink trouble, or hy vill sic Mamma und Jenka on hyu two eediots!"

Normal voice:

"Gee, they are just talking about making trouble and I am worried...

Oh Brandi! Can I borrow the dark eye covers and the flashy thingie? If not, I have a...problem over here that needs sorting before it becomes too big to hide under covers. I even have a...what did Sarge call it again? Here it is...a 'script' for you to use."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote: Oh Brandi! Can I borrow the dark eye covers and the flashy thingie? If not, I have a...problem over here that needs sorting before it becomes too big to hide under covers. I even have a...what did Sarge call it again? Here it is...a 'script' for you to use."

Wait till Sarge and I get invoolved - THEN hyu Got troubles....

Who do you think they modeled the Jaegers on?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Oh Brandi! Can I borrow the dark eye covers and the flashy thingie? If not, I have a...problem over here that needs sorting before it becomes too big to hide under covers. I even have a...what did Sarge call it again? Here it is...a 'script' for you to use."
Wait till Sarge and I get invoolved - THEN hyu Got troubles.... . . .
Oh, they aren't the only ones . . . :twisted:

I was once questioned by the bomb squad about my knowledge of explosives . . . :twisted:

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:"Dammit, that was MINE. I lent it to you, and you NEVER gave it BACK..."
MOLAN LABE!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote: Oh Brandi! Can I borrow the dark eye covers and the flashy thingie? If not, I have a...problem over here that needs sorting before it becomes too big to hide under covers. I even have a...what did Sarge call it again? Here it is...a 'script' for you to use."

Wait till Sarge and I get invoolved - THEN hyu Got troubles....

Who do you think they modeled the Jaegers on?
AL!!! WE AIN'T SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT THAT!!! STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS, REMEMBER? THREE MORE MONTHS!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Billens walked away, grumbling, "They never let me have any fun..."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Billens walked away, grumbling, "They never let me have any fun..."

...he was there too?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Billens walked away, grumbling, "They never let me have any fun..."

...he was there too?
Are you surprised? IIRC he gave us time to get away...but I can't talk about that....
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Name for the website- LARTA.com

"Lunatics Are Running The Asylum"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Recent Purchase made- BOSS micro BR digital recorder BR-8. Essentially a digital 8-trach studio recorder- between ping-pongs and other tweeks, I can manage up to 64 tracks with this thing- most we might ever use will be 4-6. Now I can use my professional mikes.

I am thinking of "Starry starry suit" as a first project... once I figure out how to use this thing. So why did I buy this when Audacity does the same job? Simple- the interface that allows me to use my good mikes cost just as much- this thing will record, stack, dub and edit in the middle of nowhere on two 'AA' batteries, then download via USB port onto any computer! About the size of a large pocket calculator.

Now... let's see if this old luddite can figure out the fool thing...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...maybe you might want to enlist the help of a local youngster for that, mister "I unplug my VCR to get the clock to stop blinking "12:00" all the time."
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:...maybe you might want to enlist the help of a local youngster for that, mister "I unplug my VCR to get the clock to stop blinking "12:00" all the time."
... wiseass... OK, do you have experience in multi-track recording? I have done a great deal in analogue, so this digital stuff is kinda new to me... but from what I can figure, I will MAYBE use four tracks- guitar, vocal, harmonica and (maybe) banjo. Each one is recorded separately, while being cue'd from the previous track(s). The controls on the machine are what seem a bit daunting, especially when you consider what I worked with before was a consul more confusing than the instrument cluster of a 747 and twice as large- now I am using something that is far more versatile and fits in a large shirt pocket. From what I can tell, it will do what I want and more- apparently, there's a digital band sitting in here. It's a songwriter's Swiss Army Knife on steroids... if I can figure it out.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sorry, man... My total experience in music production is
1) a few months playing an off-key, stutters rendition of "Three Blind Mice" on a cheap plastic recorder and
2) a few weeks utterly failing at working a trumpet

I am sheet music illiterate, I don't know how people can tell an A from a B just by listening (I need a frequency readout in Hz and a comparison table), and all of my nerdy band friends, who would frequently defer to me on diverse matters of science, engineering, and technology, would absolutely leave me in the dust whenever they started talking about "Music Theory."

I don't even know what "Music Theory" is.

Nah... Even if I was close enough to drop by and fiddle with the device, I'm not anywhere near an ideal choice.

Maybe one of your boys knows a musically-minded person who can help you out?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Teching the thing is the issue- I KNOW what I want it to do, I just don't know yet how to tell it to do so. Insofar as music theory and all that, I am also musically illiterate and need a starting note to figure out where I am-

True story- Uncle Clarence (Mom's side- Tennessee hillbilly) taught me Banjo. I took lessons for cello in school (still can't play it) and caught Uncle Clarence going through my music book for it- I could tell by the fact that he was humming the tune as he looked at the notes that he knew what he was looking at.
"Uncle Clarence!" I yelped (I was a bit startled by this fact) "You can read music, can't you?"
In his thick, ropey drawl he replied, "Whal, yea Ah kin... bu' not 'nuff t' hurt m' playin'..."

He was quite serious- as far as he was concerned, sheet music was more or less a suggestion as to how the song ought to be played.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:...maybe you might want to enlist the help of a local youngster for that, mister "I unplug my VCR to get the clock to stop blinking "12:00" all the time."
... wiseass... OK, do you have experience in multi-track recording? I have done a great deal in analogue, so this digital stuff is kinda new to me... but from what I can figure, I will MAYBE use four tracks- guitar, vocal, harmonica and (maybe) banjo. Each one is recorded separately, while being cue'd from the previous track(s). The controls on the machine are what seem a bit daunting, especially when you consider what I worked with before was a consul more confusing than the instrument cluster of a 747 and twice as large- now I am using something that is far more versatile and fits in a large shirt pocket. From what I can tell, it will do what I want and more- apparently, there's a digital band sitting in here. It's a songwriter's Swiss Army Knife on steroids... if I can figure it out.
If it was Audacity, I could help you, but I am less familiar with the hardware version.

In fact, I just got done recording a rough audio and export to .mp3 of Barrel Man. It's nowhere near that complicated, mostly just a simple one-track recording of me gassing on. But it has been recorded. Might even toss it up onto my Dropbox. Dinky's already got a copy. In fact, she... ahem... *suggested* that I go ahead and record the damn thing already. Rather... er... forcefully. And who am I to deny a lady?

Next I am planning on doing a filk or two. Maybe record myself in four-part harmony.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"Uncle Clarence!" I yelped (I was a bit startled by this fact) "You can read music, can't you?"
In his thick, ropey drawl he replied, "Whal, yea Ah kin... bu' not 'nuff t' hurt m' playin'..."

He was quite serious- as far as he was concerned, sheet music was more or less a suggestion as to how the song ought to be played.
You mean it's not?

All my stringing, tuning, and playing was by ear. Tried for years to learn how...can't read it well, so I consider it more of a...guideline.

*taps palm with rolling pin*

Good bard, Shneekey. That'll do.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I have just finished recording "All I have to do is Dream" by the Everly Brothers- 1 track of guitar and three tracks of me- Lead, Tenor and Bass. The machine was flawless- my singing needs work. Out of practice, I guess- even so, it doesn't sound half bad. Now I need to figure out where to park it that others might have access- it's not good enough for 'you tube' by any stretch of the imagination, but it will give a hint at what I CAN do with this widget as I figure it out.
Microphone is an 'Electro Voice 664', made in the mid- 60's out of Buchannan, Michigan- in it's day, this was concert quality (I have to re-wire my Shure 55s', both of them need new cords).
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

My sophisticated mounting system- patent applied for
My sophisticated mounting system- patent applied for
100_6671.JPG (187.44 KiB) Viewed 13683 times
Yes- that is a 64 track system right there
Yes- that is a 64 track system right there
100_6669.JPG (160.91 KiB) Viewed 13682 times
Here we see the heart and soul of "Slipshod Studios" technical operations-
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

What? No duct tape? How can you call it sophisticated without duct tape? ;)

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:What? No duct tape? How can you call it sophisticated without duct tape? ;)

--FreeFlier
Well... I DID pick up the scrap of wood off the ground where it had been since June and then sawed/sanded/scraped off the mold, then pulled then screws out of a dead piece of structural component... and the friction gusset was cut from an old innertube... doesn't THAT count?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.