150 Years Ago

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: 150 Years Ago

Post by jwhouk »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:My voice is at your disposition, should the need come for it, at any time. :D

You know, short of doing a movie or animation adaptation, there is also the radio drama option...
Radio Drama... tricky, yet the ultimate low-budget production... hmm... let me think about that...
Works for Girl Genius...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:My voice is at your disposition, should the need come for it, at any time. :D

You know, short of doing a movie or animation adaptation, there is also the radio drama option...
Radio Drama... tricky, yet the ultimate low-budget production... hmm... let me think about that...
Works for Girl Genius...
I've listened to some of those... they are great! Let's do that! We can even do it over the internet, with someone to assemble everything together, after all the recorded parts are in! Or we can do it over skype, or something, and record the session... :D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I do not believe Jin and I have enough in common.
Attachments
Bored now
Bored now
rsz_img_20151012_171836.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 13193 times
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:I do not believe Jin and I have enough in common.
That wouldn't matter, in a radio drama recording...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
I guess I hadn't gotten to the bit where they changed gears.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
I guess I hadn't gotten to the bit where they changed gears.
Well, the gear changing did happen after the name dropping took place...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sick me and sick kiddo, kinda distracted. :oops:

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

Austin looked up and down the gangway outside the suite, gun up and at the ready. No motion in either direction - but there was now a trail of blood leading down toward the stairs.

"Should be easy for 'em to find the bastahd," he said. "Beggin' yer pardon, Marshall suh, but it might be prudent if'n we ask for a different room until the Secessionist is caught - or we get to Parkersburg, whichever's next."

"You have a point, Corporal." He turned to the big Belgian. "Dashnois, get decent so you don't scare the passengers and go with Watts to see about a change in our quarters."

"Uh, Marshall?" The squeak came from their prisoner. "Nothin' personal, but, um, could y'send Mr. Hatch instead?"

Watts looked back at him for a moment. He said, tentatively, "Did she say something to you?"

Cornelius nodded. "Don't go."

"Suh?" Watts turned, looking back at the Marshall. Billens was looking at something else - the dent in the padlock, where Cornelius had blocked the shot.

"Stay there. Hatch, Dashnois - just go as you are."

The two soldiers ran up the gangway forward toward the bridge.

---
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Sufficiently delightful... but no, you're not Jin.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

lake_wrangler wrote:Well, we already knew you had read some, a while back, seeing as you had posted on the second or third page of this thread. This post, however does confirm your continued readership, I guess. :)
Hansontoons wrote:Ripping good yarn!
That, it certainly is! :D
Ah yes. The badger business. When fascinated by an engaging story, my mind has a tendency to run ahead and leave my memory behind.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Something different, continued...

"We were resting in a woodlot some eighteen miles, East by Northeast from Gettysburg on the 3rd of July, 1863... by 'we', I mean the 9th Virginia Heavy Dragoons under Captain Mackleson. To the south, a line of Union skirmishers approached our position cautiously... "reconnaissance by fire' is the term,"
"OH!" Mallory exclaimed, "You were a CONFEDERATE! I... I thought you might have..."
"Heh- no, back then, one didn't feel a great amount of loyalty to the Federal government. Your STATE was more your identity... I was a slave owner- when the fools in DC split off the Shenandoah to create West Virginia, I moved my property to Winchester... mind you, I was stationed in Northern California at the time, it all had to be done by proxy... but once I heard about Sumter being fired upon, I quit my post and joined the Confederacy. -
now... as I were saying, we had a line of skirmishers advancing on us, not knowing we were there. I was one of those who fired upon them- they returned fire at an astonishing rate. Our people then gave them what for and after we dropped a few of their number they retired of the field. I went forward with a handful of fellows to see what they were working with... we found they were equipped with these newfangled 'Spencer' rifles, a repeater that unfortunately we had neither the machinery to build or the ammunition to use in them. We were considering this when the main body of the Yankees responded to our disruption of their skirmish line. They had formed a line right at the range of their repeaters and commenced to deliver a murderous rate of fire. We beat a hasty retreat, but Company 'B' and Company 'D' had formed up upon our return and charged their lines. They proceeded to scatter, being outnumbered and outgunned. Now, what we didn't realize at that time was that Company 'H' of the 7th Michigan had just entered the field from the South. Custer was running that outfit back then- he deployed his battery of four Mountain Howitzers and instructed them to load double canister and await his order. He then counter-charged our small force... we had been reduced in numbers over the years so that two of our companies were less than one Yankee company. AGAIN, we retreated, but joined up with the bulk of our own forces. We spun and countered the counter-charge. Their troops executed a perfect double-right-flank and without a shot fired, we were chasing down Custer's people. There was a great deal of excitement as we all looked forward to giving the Michigan upstart a thorough drubbing- but I stood in my stirrups to asses the situation- and I saw his column splitting left and right, and four cannon right in the middle all pointed at us.
I tried to call a halt, a retreat. but my voice was lost in the moment.
All four cannon fired at once.
The carnage was beyond description.
I lost a chunk of flesh from my left thigh- my horse screamed as she dropped, cored from chest to tail by a cluster of grape. There were wounded and dying all around me. I gathered a riderless horse, mounted up and went back to our lines as fast as I could. Custer's people had already doubled back and were dispatching the remaining survivors. What few of us returned without too much harm wound up in other units- as of that moment, the 9th no longer existed.
From there I went to Chimborazo to recuperate... and from there, I was sent to give a measure of security to a project in Charleston Harbor... any questions?"
All seven girls sat silent, stunned with mouths agape...
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(Yeah, I'd say Cornelius has seen more action than the rest of the 44th Wisconsin.)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"You... you saved my life... why?" stammered Billens.
"Well, " Cornelius turned to Corporal Austin, "nothing personal son, but at BEST you're a weak baritone and I didn't want to loose a good voice... Marshal, can I get this insufferable thing OFF me? I'm afraid that bullet's adjustment left it QUITE uncomfortable,"
Billens looked again at the cuffs- Cornelius' hands were turning blue. There was a moment of hesitation, then he produced the key and placed it into the lock. There was some minor struggle, but eventually the tortured steel and brass gave way and the cuffs were free... as were Cornelius' hands.
"Make me regret this and I WILL make SURE YOU regret this," he growled at Cornelius.
Cornelius only rubbed his wrists and smiled.

TWICE!!! TWICE NOW he had been shot in the fanny by a damn Yankee!!! And he was bleeding! He had managed to staunch the flow with a makeshift bandage, but his gait was affected and his duster had a suspicious hole in it. He dropped to the lower deck form deck 3, making a beeline to the infirmary. Bursting in, he there saw Nurse McBride. She looked up just as he started delivering bullet after bullet into her chest and abdomen. Seven rounds he pumped into her, just as fast as he could work the rifle.. She tumbled and fell, thrashing around. He turned and left- "Let her identify me NOW!" he muttered as he hid the rifle back under his coat. Once out the door, he went to the Port access hatch for the paddlewheel- there was a narrow catwalk with handrail, used to inspect or do maintenance while underway. It was a wet environment, but relatively safe... besides, the duster kept him dry for the most part.

Back in the infirmary, Suzie finally caught her breath and examined the damage done to her blouse and bodice- the corset underneath was still holding, but only just. There was some fancy needlework to be done in the near future, no doubt... but more importantly, there was a debt to be paid- THAT DAMN WELL HURT!!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:(Yeah, I'd say Cornelius has seen more action than the rest of the 44th Wisconsin.)
That was one battle- the 9th was at Manassas 1 and 2, Fredricksburg, the Peninsula Campaign, Shilo... the actual list is extensive. Their casualty rate was obscene.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Works for Girl Genius...
I've listened to some of those... they are great! Let's do that! We can even do it over the internet, with someone to assemble everything together, after all the recorded parts are in! Or we can do it over skype, or something, and record the session... :D
OK- I'm sold- Joe and I can script this, and there's MORE than enough talent here to make it happen... but who do we know that is sufficient enough of an
übergeek to put it together? I am quite a Luddite compared to many of you...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

What 'Tanner' did to Suzie... Is that a worse blunder than going in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line? ;)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:What 'Tanner' did to Suzie... Is that a worse blunder than going in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line? ;)
She will have time to think about it... and as we well know, she can get ... creative...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-good-company/
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think Neil is still waiting to get tips from her.

An aside: from "that long night I had at work", what the guys in the van didn't know was that if they'd decided to open up and try to shoot their way into the place, Suzie was ready with two well-placed and fully loaded automatics at her disposal.

She could have turned the van into Swiss Cheese. That was the reason why the main communications area was dark - she told them every non-essential staff should GTFO of there and hole up in the sup's office - which was in back and away from the gate.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:I think Neil is still waiting to get tips from her.

An aside: from "that long night I had at work", what the guys in the van didn't know was that if they'd decided to open up and try to shoot their way into the place, Suzie was ready with two well-placed and fully loaded automatics at her disposal.

She could have turned the van into Swiss Cheese. That was the reason why the main communications area was dark - she told them every non-essential staff should GTFO of there and hole up in the sup's office - which was in back and away from the gate.
There ARE advantages to being a vampire, I guess... one of them is that bullets are an annoyance
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I predict that the next time he's caught, he will have suffered so much blood loss he'll barely be able to sit up on the toilet.