Visiting Minnesota

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: Visiting Minnesota

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Jharris16-17 wrote:I misunderstood. I was trying to be respectful, because i had butted in, i was trying to remedy the situation
I am fairly responsible for James backing out as he did- I cautioned him that storytellers prefer contact before contribution... usually. Jwhouk contacted me before jumping on board and we have been PM'ing each other as we play the game. I have no difficulty with collaboration, but I was trying to teach the boy courtesy regarding such... I did not actually request he withdrawl his efforts.

James not only grew up with me reading several established authors to him, but also my own work. I used both of the boys as sounding boards to see how my stories go over. James has been (apparently) fascinated with the prospect of storytelling... I have read some of his work- for a boy about to turn 17, it is actually quite promising. I need to learn how to encourage this work, and part of it is I cannot hold it to the same standards that I hold my own to.

As surgery has been heavy today, I am just getting off shift. I will talk to James and explain a little about courtesy, but encourage him to continue. He has followed Wapsi world for some time now (he is anxiouse to see how I explain the lipstick to Mom) and has some grounding as to how reality works there.

We'll see where it goes from there...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'd say this little visit to Minnesota has probably come to a good stopping point, myself.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well JW, for me at least this seems to be the only way I'm going to be anywhere close to Minnesota...

Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I'd say this little visit to Minnesota has probably come to a good stopping point, myself.
But if your protagonist doesn't get back up there before long, his car is going to be stuck out in a Minnesota winter. The engine will freeze.

Of course, that leaves room for you to write a sequel. "It was the Adventure of the Blue Carb, Uncle!"
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I'd say this little visit to Minnesota has probably come to a good stopping point, myself.
But if your protagonist doesn't get back up there before long, his car is going to be stuck out in a Minnesota winter. The engine will freeze.

Of course, that leaves room for you to write a sequel. "It was the Adventure of the Blue Carb, Uncle!"
My son heard me do a groan quite different from my "I'm in pain" one, read this and said, "It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important. That said, mess not in the realm of Consulting Detectives. They may decide to spout witty wordplay and out-pun you one day, and you have not enough shillngs to payeth the vault."
Last edited by DinkyInky on Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:My son heard me do a groan quite different from my "I'm in pain" one, read this and said, It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important. That said, mess not in the realm of Consulting Detectives. They may decide to spout witty wordplay and out-pun you one day, and you have not enough shillngs to payeth the vault."
Some day I hope to have the pleasure of meeting your young consulting detective and trading a few puns, DinkyInky! You're helping him develop a truly fine style indeed! :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:My son heard me do a groan quite different from my "I'm in pain" one, read this and said, It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important. That said, mess not in the realm of Consulting Detectives. They may decide to spout witty wordplay and out-pun you one day, and you have not enough shillngs to payeth the vault."
Some day I hope to have the pleasure of meeting your young consulting detective and trading a few puns, DinkyInky! You're helping him develop a truly fine style indeed! :D
Me? Help him? Surely you jest! It's my son that's giving me a few pointers in elocution execution. He has comedic timing too. More than once he's donned nice outfits and empty glasses frames, my long coat, and red Chuck Taylor's, and said it was all "Wibbley Wobbley Timey Wimey time for fun."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Epilogue-

There was a "domestic disturbance" at 65-A north Malott Road that day- police had to come to quell the situation. Amazingly, there was no bloodshed or violence of any form... save the savage tongue of Anna, which was heard at a quarter mile radius. Amazing, because it was well known that there was enough weapons and ammunition to stand off a rifle squad of Marines in the house. For three days, things at that address were touchy- then finally, Anna calmed down enough to see the humor of the situation. She DID go to Lydia's for a bra... and bought four. Her ample bustline already got notice wherever she went, but now there were a few instances were traffic was involved... or distracted.

HOWEVER... in coming back through the library to go home, Phix greeted the two and complimented Annie- both on her bra and her husband. Annie walked right up to the great beast and asked,
"I don't suppose Monica V. is in the library at this time, is she?"
Greg looked apprehensive.
"No... but she does show up from time to time- she is quite the regular,"
"Could you deliver a message for me?" she asked rather sweetly.
"Certainly,"
Annie snarled in a loud manner that frightened Phix- then in a 'don't mess with me' voice said-
"KEEP YOUR LIPS OFF MY HUSBAND!"

... it took Phix a moment to realize she had cowered into a corner and was shaking in fear after Annie, with Greg firmly in tow, proudly strutted off to the appropriate exit...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

A few days later, I pulled into the small dirt parking lot of the abandoned Scott Town Hall.

It had taken me about five tries, but I'd finally gotten back to the portal door behind Chino Latinos, so I could get back to my car.

Yes, I was a little late in getting back home, but I made up for it with the wife with a swing past the local Starbucks.

But I had to know - Did I have a Library Portal practically in my own back yard?

I looked around to see if anyone was there. Seeing nothing, I went up to the door.

"I want to go to The Library," I said to no one in particular.

As I went to put my hand on the door knob, the door opened on its own.

There stood a half-female, half-goat creature with a wicked smile.

"Sorry, you must be this tall to ride this ride," said Nudge.

The door slammed in my face.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(You didn't think I had forgotten about that, did you? ;) )
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:(You didn't think I had forgotten about that, did you? ;) )
HARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHAR!!!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, I know where my portal is...