The elixir

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: The elixir

Post by jwhouk »

Rumor has it that there may or may not be an annex portal near there, but I never got a straight answer from the source. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:No, I kinda meant going here:

I would love to... but the outhouse in question I can see from my back window while THAT place is a bit more than walking distance...
(Actually, I've been in contact with them online and they have been very user-friendly and helpful)

In my avatar, you notice the bicycle?- If you look closely, you will notice a motor. Currently building exactly as I described, but decided not to use the HD logo- instead, it will be a "Howard and Sons"
Must be the Hoosier in me, but that reminded me of a butcher shop near my Godfather's place.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Rumor has it that there may or may not be an annex portal near there, but I never got a straight answer from the source. ;)
Yea, it's there- I have seen Nudge poking her head out from time to time... but there's too many redneck hunters around here for her to be safe.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Rumor has it that there may or may not be an annex portal near there, but I never got a straight answer from the source. ;)
Yea, it's there- I have seen Nudge poking her head out from time to time... but there's too many redneck hunters around here for her to be safe.
So, what's the hunting-season bag limit on the Greater Lava-Coated Trickdeer?

Did you hear, Nudge got taken down by a survivalist, out to fill his smokehouse with meat for the winter?
Oh, no! That's terrible. Poacher?
No, I think he was thinking more of steaks and chops for the grill.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Well, Sarge, now you've done it. I read through that story, and now that I know that it's kinda impolite to hijack someone else's characters, even if it's fanfic, I've done gone and gotten myself an idea stuck in my brain.
I'm writing it out now. If it turns out ok, I might just post it. It'll probably be kinda crappy (Damnit Jim, I'm an engineering student, not an English major!) but I might just post it anyway just to get the feedback.

I got the bug. I never though I'd catch the fanfic bug, but it's finally happened.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Well, Sarge, now you've done it. I read through that story, and now that I know that it's kinda impolite to hijack someone else's characters, even if it's fanfic, I've done gone and gotten myself an idea stuck in my brain.
I'm writing it out now. If it turns out ok, I might just post it. It'll probably be kinda crappy (Damnit Jim, I'm an engineering student, not an English major!) but I might just post it anyway just to get the feedback.

I got the bug. I never though I'd catch the fanfic bug, but it's finally happened.
... it is nothing more (or less) than the desire to tell a good story...
Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
So, what's the hunting-season bag limit on the Greater Lava-Coated Trickdeer?

Did you hear, Nudge got taken down by a survivalist, out to fill his smokehouse with meat for the winter?
Oh, no! That's terrible. Poacher?
No, I think he was thinking more of steaks and chops for the grill.
Seeings as there is only one, and she is sentient, the original thought was that the rules for lawyers applies... now it's in debate, as the liberals declare her an 'endangered species'. We're working on making liberals an endangered species, I'll let you know how that works out... currently the bounty is at $45 per pair of ears...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:No, I kinda meant going here:

I would love to... but the outhouse in question I can see from my back window while THAT place is a bit more than walking distance...
(Actually, I've been in contact with them online and they have been very user-friendly and helpful)

In my avatar, you notice the bicycle?- If you look closely, you will notice a motor. Currently building exactly as I described, but decided not to use the HD logo- instead, it will be a "Howard and Sons"
Must be the Hoosier in me, but that reminded me of a butcher shop near my Godfather's place.

... care for a rack of Nudge Ribs?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote: Gawd, Sarge... that little snippet of a scene is absolutely worthy of having Pablo do a commissioned drawing. Canon or not, it's priceless!
Hmmm. I might just ask Paul about that...
I hope you do... and if he does make one, I hope it'll be published on the site so I can order a print.

And, if you don't, please give me permission to discuss it with Paul myself.
... I might nave to... Paul is not responding to my PMs... I hope I haven't offended him with my writing...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... I might nave to... Paul is not responding to my PMs... I hope I haven't offended him with my writing...
I think he gets swamped with email sometimes, and doesn't always respond quickly... give him some time, and try direct email rather than the forum PM system if that's what you had tried.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... I might nave to... Paul is not responding to my PMs... I hope I haven't offended him with my writing...
I doubt that. From what I've learned so far here, it takes some pretty irritating stuff to make Paul mad.
That being said, is there an official channel to contact him through regarding commissions?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
I doubt that. From what I've learned so far here, it takes some pretty irritating stuff to make Paul mad.
That being said, is there an official channel to contact him through regarding commissions?
The "Commissions" tab on the wapsisquare.com site says
Contact me at (pablowapsi at yahoo dot com)
and that's how I've reached him in the past.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Commission in progress!!!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Commission in progress!!!!
Yay!!!! :D

He will show it, and allow orders for prints, I hope?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Commission in progress!!!!
Yay!!!! :D

He will show it, and allow orders for prints, I hope?
I told him to do so
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I am not fully satisfied with the end of my story... I think I will amend it... and there is an epilogue as well...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I thought that was what "Visiting Minnesota" was...

;)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:I thought that was what "Visiting Minnesota" was...

;)

Yes and no- I will put a final polish on "The Elixir" before I put it to bed- "Visiting Minnesota" is simply a continuation of my illness... er... writing...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Greg felt it again... that odd sensation that somebody was looking at him... with intent... but again, he would turn and see nobody. Rather distracting- was this his imagination? He continued to look over the various blueprints.

This one was difficult- he KNEW when he was observed. Phix was always just one moment away from being seen whenever she tried to look at him. Frustrating. She turned to leave when she saw where she was... next to the alcove... with the old Victrola. Then and there she decided what to do.

This time, Greg looked up and there WAS somebody there! A delicious somebody! Somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty (give or take a decade- guessing a woman's age is at best dangerous), red hair, red dress of a 1940's cut... exquisitely done... tall heels, matching... green eyes... green, HUNGRY eyes... it took him a moment to realize that he knew this person, but he couldn't quite place it...

"Well, what do you think?" she asked.

"What do I think? I think you need to pose for some nose art on a B-17! OK... we know each other, but my memory fails me here... who are you?"

She sauntered over, "I was your reception committee when you first arrived here," she purred, "... and I want to ask a favor if I might,"

"I am a married man, you know- and while I'm... what? You're the sphinx? ... you can do this, change into a human?"

"Hmmm... apparently so... and all I am asking, is do you samba?"

"Ah... samba?... it's been a while... but yea, I think I can manage that,"

She lead him to the alcove and tripped the lever on the old machine. The lead scratched out, and she held up her right hand for him to grasp as she said, "You'll find I am quite forgiving," as the music opened and the Drifters started crooning, "Save the Last Dance for me".

They actually did the song credit- he remembered his days in High School and she followed his lead without hesitation. They were graceful, fluid- other patrons stopped to watch this demonstration between a delightful young lady and what appeared to be her father. Greg actually enjoyed the moment immensely- and felt a bit guilty that his wife was not the one in his arms...
All too soon, the music stopped. He asked, "If you don't mind... why?"

She looked at him, trying to separate this man from the one in her dreams- "You remind me of someone I knew..." then she turned and left, leaving him even more confused.

Nudge was witness to the last moments of the dance- as Phix passed, she stopped her and asked, "You were dancing with a patron in the library? ... Why?"

"Because I wanted to," she responded.

"Does that mean I can... "

"NO!" and with that, Phix went to her own quarters... made some tea... and had a long, healthy cry....

EPILOGUE-

"Acacia, we have a late afternooner just showed up- he wants to get up to speed for some lady..."
'GREAT' Bud muttered to herself, thinking she might get home early was obviously out of the question now. She did a quick towel-off and stepped out to see an older gentleman, balding on top, slight color in his grey hairs... and recognized Mr. Gregory Fields, Supervisor to the Museum where Monica used to work.
"Mr. Fields! Why this IS a surprise! What brings you here?"
"Well... (he actually blushed) ... you see, there's this lady I've been seeing, and recently we went to a place where there was a dance floor... and she seemed VERY disappointed when I told her I didn't know how to samba..."
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well done, indeed. (We need to get that guy off the bus...)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Would this be placed after the Limerick?