My Little Wapsi

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Re: My Little Wapsi

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:
Julie wrote:I get this one now!! :D >>Snip<< So pretty...
if she was in a race car made from candy would it have made more sense earlier?

it is an awesome movie, can't wait for it to come out on BD/DVD...
Wreck-It Ralph? It's been out for months.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Yes, but scantrontb asked that in January - almost two months before Wreck-it Ralphs DVD release.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:Yes, but scantrontb asked that in January - almost two months before Wreck-it Ralphs DVD release.
Duh. I keep forgetting how sparse the posts are in some threads. I didn't check the date.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Fairportfan wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Yes, but scantrontb asked that in January - almost two months before Wreck-it Ralphs DVD release.
Duh. I keep forgetting how sparse the posts are in some threads. I didn't check the date.

AHA!... that means you're not a "REAL" Wapsi-holic... shame on you for not wearing out the F5 button on your keyboard waiting for daily updates...

seriously though, I know what you mean, but I've gotten completely caught up thru all the forums now and have my bookmark for the index page, so it will show any forums that have new posts since I last stopped by, I click on those and if needed I click on the short-cut at the top right for "go to first unread post" to jump to the newest ones (E.G. the fan art forum) then I just read thru all of them to the last post... it works, and now that I'm caught up, I'm not overwhelmed any more with back-posts and massive floods of unread posts all at once (unless we get a really good arc going like this one).
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I don't check a lot of sub-fora on anything like a regular basis.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Fairportfan wrote:I don't check a lot of sub-fora on anything like a regular basis.
AHA!, That means you're not a "REA..." um... didn't we just say this? :) ... um, yeah... uh, well anyway... this comic, Girl Genius, Grrl Power, and Freefall are the four that I absolutely check every day (well not GG as it's only 3 a week,) I have a bunch that I periodically check once or twice a month, and a huge number of bookmarked ones that I really ought to catch up on. this and Grrl Power are the only two I post on very often, so i kind of know what you mean about not following any forums on a regular basis.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I meant i don't check the sub-fora on this board.

I have a LONG list of comics i check regularly.

Wapsi
Sequential Art
Girl Genius
9 Chickweed Lane
Pibgorn
Questionable Content
El Goonish Shive
Namesake
Footloose
Something Positive
Menage a 3 (R-rated; often NSFW)
Eerie Cuties
Magick Chicks
Sticky Dilly Buns
Exiern
Gunnerkrigg Court
SailorSun.org
I Dream of a Jeannie Bottle
Misfile
Rain
xkcd
Widdershins
Legend of Bill
6 Gun Mage
Between Failures
Exiern
Punch an' Pie
Codename Hunter
Namesake
Girls with Slingshots
Spinnerette
Dead Winter
Dangerously Chloe
The Devil's Panties
Eds 'r Us
Gaia
Sandra & Woo
Guilded Age
Grrl Power
Gregor Comics
Sister Claire
Sinfest
Sunset Grill
Zortic
Zap!

... those are the main ones.

There are some that are either dormant (like The Wotch or Cheer!) or officially just on hiatus-we'll-be-back-soon-we-swear (Like Mysteries of the Arcana) or just so erratic it's annoying (and, yes, i am looking at you, Murry & Lewie).

Since many of them just update three, two or even one times a week, it's not quite as time-consuming as it might sound.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:I meant i don't check the sub-fora on this board.

I have a LONG list of comics i check regularly.
I check the "sub-fora" every time I login to this forum...mostly because I feel like it's easier to stay on top of a page or two of posts at a time instead of having to do a massive stint of reading to get caught up on everything everyone had to say about whatever. :) I've found that if you do that, and you're only checking the forum once a day (and only on weekdays), you only have to read a few posts in 3 threads, a larger amount of posts in 2-4 threads (depending on if I've missed comic updates or it's Monday), and the entirety of one or two new threads that are already more than a page long. It used to take longer when the Main Pub was more active. Most of the sub-forums have gone dormant. Really you're only looking at reading a handful of posts here in the Fan Art section, the Main Pub, maybe in the Introductory area, and then whatever people are still posting in the Comic Discussion section. Unless I've got a lot to say or I've been away for a while, it doesn't take much more than 10 minutes to follow all of the sub-sections here.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Leak

Post by Leak »

Fairportfan wrote:I have a LONG list of comics i check regularly.

What, no Zebra Girl? *boggles*
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Leak wrote:

What, no Zebra Girl? *boggles*
and no Skin Horse or Girl Genius? (page 1, HERE) It is a sad, sad day when you realise you're reading a Phil Foglio comic for the storylines, not the artwork :shock: (ps: if the front and back don't touch, is it technically still a dress?)

(I would mention Schlock Mercenary, but as that *is* a daily strip, that started 12th June 2000. Pointing someone towards that would be worse than linking to a 'Tropes page.)

actually, kind of the anti-Schlock (update wise) that I would point people at is Outsider, which I believe averages a new page once every 3-4 months :ugeek:.

Leak wrote:
Last time I counted my "webcomics" bookmarks folder I'm pretty sure the number was well over 150 - fortunately some of them aren't active/abandoned so I can get through those pretty quickly. :)

:?: I'm rambling after the first coffee of the morning again, aren't I? :(
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Grantwhy wrote: It is a sad, sad day when you realise you're reading a Phil Foglio comic for the storylines, not the artwork :shock: (ps: if the front and back don't touch, is it technically still a dress?)
They have two novelisations of Girl Genius thus far, and it goes a bit more in depth than the comic. They were having issues with Nightshade Press, so not sure if they are using them for third or going with someone else...I hope they ask Baen(who does a distribution of Nightshades books)if they don't. Just my 2cp. Even though I enjoy Girl Genius in full colour, there's something to be said about a nice crisp wordy volume. I am debating on whether or not to get Kindle versions of the graphic novels or wait and get hard bound. anyway it gets looked at you just can't do it wrong.

If it weren't for the fact that he's got his hands full with GG, I'd love to see his treatments of Bujold's deranged hyperactive midget Miles Vorkosigan, or Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man series(if you haven't read them, shame on you, get! Go read them!). I mean just look at the treatment he did for Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures...so funny!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I knew i was forgetting something - of course i read GG.

And as to the Baen authors you list, considering that i've known the current publisher there since she was eighteen, i'd be embarrassed if i wasn't aware of them.

Of course, considering that David Weber is my kid brother...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

DinkyInky wrote:If it weren't for the fact that he's got his hands full with GG, I'd love to see his treatments of Bujold's deranged hyperactive midget Miles Vorkosigan, or Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man series(if you haven't read them, shame on you, get! Go read them!). I mean just look at the treatment he did for Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures...so funny!
that would be Myth Adventures, yes? 8-) [one of the finished webcomics that stick around in my webcomics bookmarks :) ]

for anyone interested, first page starts --> http://www.airshipentertainment.com/myt ... e=20100109
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Grantwhy wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:If it weren't for the fact that he's got his hands full with GG, I'd love to see his treatments of Bujold's deranged hyperactive midget Miles Vorkosigan, or Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man series(if you haven't read them, shame on you, get! Go read them!). I mean just look at the treatment he did for Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures...so funny!
that would be Myth Adventures, yes? 8-) [one of the finished webcomics that stick around in my webcomics bookmarks :) ]

for anyone interested, first page starts --> http://www.airshipentertainment.com/myt ... e=20100109
Phil didn't do the full original dead tree run of Myth Adventures; depending on what you've heard, he quit, or he got fired because Asprin was annoyed that Phil was writing original stuff (some versions add "that was funnier than his own".)
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:

Phil didn't do the full original dead tree run of Myth Adventures; depending on what you've heard, he quit, or he got fired because Asprin was annoyed that Phil was writing original stuff (some versions add "that was funnier than his own".)
Doubtful, considering he did the First Edition Covers for most of the series, but the only way to find out is to talk to the Prof., so it will most likely be a while before I myself will have that curiousity satisfied.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:If it weren't for the fact that he's got his hands full with GG, I'd love to see his treatments of Bujold's deranged hyperactive midget Miles Vorkosigan, or Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man series(if you haven't read them, shame on you, get! Go read them!). I mean just look at the treatment he did for Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures...so funny!

<necessary break because the board limits quote-nesting depth>
DinkyInky wrote:Doubtful, considering he did the First Edition Covers for most of the series, but the only way to find out is to talk to the Prof., so it will most likely be a while before I myself will have that curiousity satisfied.
Different deal, in which Asprin had much less say - Phil replaced Kelly Freas as contract cover artist for Starblaze Books.

The comic was through a different publisher, and had nothing to do (originally) with Starblaze.

Phil was replaced on the comic by ... ummm ... Jim Valentino.

The first eight issues were published through WaRP Graphics in B&W and then issued in colour in a two-volume compilation through Starblaze.

After that, there were a few more comics published by Apple Comics (still B&W - this was the peak of the B&W/independent comics boom).

Doubt that Phil will answer that one, really.

From knowing both of them, i can easily believe that it happened (and some of the people i heard the story from at the time knew both of them much better than i did.)

=====================

Asprin did another comic in graphic novel format through Starblaze:

The Adventures of Duncan & Mallory - about a young knight who really doesn't want to carry on the family tradition of dragon-slaying, and a young dragon with an MBA who doesn't want to carry on HIS family's tradition of pillaging and theft to accumulate a horde. They meet up, join forces, and happily proceed to swindle and jive their way through three graphic novels, illustrated by Mel. White. Asprin and White herself appear in all three volumes as secondary con-artists Bilgewater and Sadie, who are the second-best flim-flam team around.

In the second volume, they wind up owning The Bar-None Ranch (coincidentally, thevolume title) ... which is a tarantula ranch.

Which employs seriously badass tarantula herders.

Tarantulas, it turns out, are very skittish and prone to stampedes at the least little fright.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:In the second volume, they wind up owning The Bar-None Ranch (coincidentally, thevolume title) ... which is a tarantula ranch.

Which employs seriously badass tarantula herders.

Tarantulas, it turns out, are very skittish and prone to stampedes at the least little fright.
So, no portable coffee grinders allowed out on the range? All the herders are tea-totallers?

I really think I'm going to have to locate that series... sounds like quite a hoot!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Well, the links i included are to the first two volumes at Amazon - used - priced at like $1.27 and $0.82...

=========

One of the tarantula herders is a centaur wearing scotch plaid and big glasses, who is a caricature of a long-time SF fandom acquaintance, who was Mary Kay Jackson in those days; these days she's Mary Kay Kare, and her husband, Dr Jordin Kare, is a rocket scientist (i believe) - or else he's a Manticoran hyper-physicist.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I knew that outfit looked familiar.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Rare file footage of last years Running Of The Leaves? :lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)