Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

stjen

Re: Fan Art

Post by stjen »

Please! Provide links when you do that. I don't have time to archive dive to find it, but I'd like to find that point in the story line to get context. (Great Coloring, btw...)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:Thank you so very! I was testing out some new ways of shading and had a lot of fun. Not entirely happy with the hair, but learned a lot.

The hair skin tones were based the Vampire Gals poster, of course. Pratt didn't strike me as particularly dark skinned with dredlocks, but allowing that vampires tend to run pale, I made her slightly tawny instead. McBride of course was ginger and cream. Doubt has always been purple for me, and this was a lot of fun coloring her among the (astral) flames!
I know that you are aware that there are many historic cultures that wore Dreds including Irish Warriors in the Medieval period and the Maori of New Zealand, so skin color can vary greatly not just because she is a Vamp. Looking at her I see her as a light mocha skinned lady, but that is just me :geek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Mark N - Indeed! I wasn't going to fall for the Dreds == African, but I wanted to distinguish her from the other character with the obviously peaches n' cream complexion.

stjen - Look at the file name: 20070423_andayachttoo_color.jpg (Firefox - Right click, View Image Info / IE - Right click, Properities)
I just add _color when modify them. Specific storyline links here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I like the hair, just needs a little practice with the method maybe. I don't about you, but trying new methods is fun to me...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Got a DSL modem (for $5!) from the flea market today so my PC is now back online. Here are the 1920x1080 wallpapers I made.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Atomic wrote:EDIT: Cool Image
Nice, Atomic! I wouldn't have thought of purple for Doubt, but I likes it... :)
I totally agree Jabberwonky! I really like Atomic's take on this one. Purple... I don't think I'd have ever thought of using it either.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thank you! I chose purple because I thought Doubt was a pain, so I made her one big bruise. (Pun jar be damned)

For what it's worth, Gimp 2.8 defaults to PNG format, and "Another TIme Then" color job wound up as a 1.08MB image. Just re-saved it to JPG and now a cozy 355KB. The orignal B&W was 165KB. Didn't know PNGs were on the bloaty side!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Jabberwonky

The G.I.M.P.

Post by Jabberwonky »

I've found that 2.8 gives me some wonky exports. Many times the png or bmp won't view from other programs. When I work in Gimp, I open the saved project in Photoshop and save it into the flavor I need from there.
If I make avatars in Gimp, they are kind of big. If I make them with Photoshop, they stay small.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Thank you! I chose purple because I thought Doubt was a pain, so I made her one big bruise. (Pun jar be damned)

For what it's worth, Gimp 2.8 defaults to PNG format, and "Another TIme Then" color job wound up as a 1.08MB image. Just re-saved it to JPG and now a cozy 355KB. The orignal B&W was 165KB. Didn't know PNGs were on the bloaty side!
PNG is a full-color lossless format... it does compress the data when possible but in a "noisy" image the lossless-compression process doesn't find much redundency/predictability to work with. I'm not surprised that Another TIme Then did not compress well... all that subtle color detail in the cloud of fire surrounding Doubt would have been difficult to compress well.

I liked the color, too, although I would probably never have thought of doing it that way myself. Doubt has always been the most wordy and verbose of Monica's demons, and her phrasing has sometimes been a bit overboard... purple prose, from one of the purple pros!

(drops a bunch of Concord grapes into the Pun Jar)
Jabberwonky wrote:I've found that 2.8 gives me some wonky exports. Many times the png or bmp won't view from other programs. When I work in Gimp, I open the saved project in Photoshop and save it into the flavor I need from there.
If I make avatars in Gimp, they are kind of big. If I make them with Photoshop, they stay small.
Interesting - haven't noticed anything like that myself. Possibly something about the options you are specifying during the export? Gimp allows a lot of adjustment to the export formst conversion... compression level, progressive representation, inclusion of some optional data... it's possible that some combination of these has been selected which isn't recognizable by some older image viewers.

I'd be interested in looking at an example or two of a Gimp export, the corresponding Photoshop export, and the original Gimp project file... figure out what the technical difference is.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:Doubt has always been the most wordy and verbose of Monica's demons, and her phrasing has sometimes been a bit overboard... purple prose, from one of the purple pros!

Oooh! Very nice... :lol:
Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I've found that 2.8 gives me some wonky exports. Many times the png or bmp won't view from other programs. When I work in Gimp, I open the saved project in Photoshop and save it into the flavor I need from there.
Interesting - haven't noticed anything like that myself. Possibly something about the options you are specifying during the export? Gimp allows a lot of adjustment to the export formst conversion... compression level, progressive representation, inclusion of some optional data... it's possible that some combination of these has been selected which isn't recognizable by some older image viewers.

I'd be interested in looking at an example or two of a Gimp export, the corresponding Photoshop export, and the original Gimp project file... figure out what the technical difference is.
Gimme a couple a' days and I'll emails you a G.I.M.P. and a PS of something.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:Gimme a couple a' days and I'll emails you a G.I.M.P. and a PS of something.
Got 'em. Check your mailbox... I just sent you details on a possible solution to the BMP compatibility problem. Executive summary: try exporting from Gimp to BMP with the "Don't write colour space information" compatibility option enabled.
shadowinthelight

Either that, or wear a bib.

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Shadowinthelight wrote:Edit: Humorous Image
[voice="reverential"]I've knowed BBQ joints like that...[/voice]
Shadowinthelight wrote:IF YOU CAN READ ALL THIS TINY WRITING YOU ARE WAY TOO DAMN CLOSE TO YOUR MONITOR
I like the tingley feeling I get when I'm that close...
Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:Funny Image

Bahahahaha!!! :) This is why you get dry-rub ribs! Sauce is for brisket or pulled pork...or other not-on-the-bone meats. :P

And as for the "way too damn close to the monitor" bit...well I'm actually farther from my monitor than I normally like to be. Your tiny writing just isn't too tiny (or my eyes have gotten better since my last vision screening instead of worse).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Doubt has always been the most wordy and verbose of Monica's demons, and her phrasing has sometimes been a bit overboard... purple prose, from one of the purple pros!

Oooh! Very nice... :lol:
Do you think it will get us out of a jam some day?
And don't think that I will welch on paying my debts.
[Drops a mason jar of water from the wine-dark sea, hoping to make the pun jar a little friendlier.]
Jabberwonky

The Clean Up

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave

Re: The Clean Up

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:EDIT: "Cleanup" rescript image
BWA-HAHAHA!

The double-entendre is a wonderful detail!
Atomic

Re: The Clean Up

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:EDIT: "Cleanup" rescript image
BWA-HAHAHA!

The double-entendre is a wonderful detail!
I have only one thing to say.

Booth.

That is all.

My Deviant Art scribbles
shadowinthelight

Jabberwonky, that was funny but right now I'm more amused by your derp-shark avatar. :lol:

Also, for some reason I can't help but have the random thought you should go by J-wonk since it sounds like a funny rap name.

Wdot

Post by Wdot »

You guys make me laugh! Love your stuff. Here's mine:
Attachments
PrattAndMcBrideCreditedshrunk.jpg
PrattAndMcBrideCreditedshrunk.jpg (126.62 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt