Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Akeche

Re: Fan Art

Post by Akeche »

Dave wrote:
Akeche wrote:Good writing, but I suppose I'm the only one who thinks the idea of vampires while acting as law enforcement might go a little too... Dirty Harry is a bad thing?

A frightening thing, in fact.
You're probably just feeling a bit of what psychologists of law enforcement refer to as "Judge dread". It's natural enough under the circumstances, any time there's a law enforcer who decides to act as jury and executioner, and it's no reflection on the characters of the vampires in question.
Punny of course, but still... I highly doubt all vampires, (perhaps especially) including those within law enforcement, are as 'good' as Lily and Suzie are. As close as the little tale is to our main character, I wonder if such actions are frowned upon. Especially with her deciding to be so ruthless with it. A quick kill from a neck snapping, but the removal of a jaw along with draining of blood seems like something that would have the Powers-That-Be yelling at you if they ever found out.

Everything I've seen about paranormals so far is that keeping the 'Normies' oblivious is the highest priority, and that revealing yourself could result in your untimely end.

Of course Suzie herself is a bit of a broken character anyway, she's tried to reform but it seems she uses situations like what happened at the hospital to vent herself. I'd say she would have been a prime example of why Phix referred to vampires as parasites and mosquito prior to being reformed.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Nicely done, jwhouk. Glad to have sparked that bit of storytelling.

I like it for itself, and for the fact that it feels right for the character. Suzi has been fighting this Judge Dredd/Rorsharch impulse she has for awhile now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:Punny of course, but still... I highly doubt all vampires, (perhaps especially) including those within law enforcement, are as 'good' as Lily and Suzie are.
You're probably right. We know that Wapsiverse vampires used to be human... and down-beaten, lonely, rejected humans at that, for the most part. It would be surprising if they didn't have the same sort of range of character as humans do... from noble to despicable, with every shade in between showing up occasionally.

Their urge (and need) to kill to survive, and a tendency to do so without considering the consequences (e.g. "blowing the cover" of themselves and thus of the paranormal community) could be a common theme among vampires... perhaps accounting for their low standing in the eyes of other paranormals, but giving them something to "rise above" as Lily and Suzi have done.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I did a quick glance at the art, I was just going to comment on all the neat stuff when I came across Boxilar's drawings. Well since he gave clear indication I could mess with them I colored the western one because I like old west stuff... I don't have to explain that do I ! ;) So here she is colored up. I really liked the pose and enjoyed coloring this one.Image Her color pallet was provided by Atomic and I give him credit because I'm too disorganized to keep track of one. OH! and before I log out again, thanks for the nice comments on my Order of the Wapsi stuff, it was much appreciated!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Nicely done. Love the background, too. I was going to ask if it was the courthouse of Judge Roy Bean, the Law West of the Pecos, but in wanting to make sure I had the name right, I saw the photo on both the Wiki page and the other paged I linked... Nice touch.

By the way, I know it would be hard to change, since it was inked black to begin with, but Suzie's hair is reddish brown, according to images Paul has done in the past.

Other than that, it is excellent! The guns are very realistic, the glasses are period-appropriate. I love it!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Applause, applause!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Good stuff, Boxilar. I wouldn't mind taking a ride with Suzie. :D

I really hate having to jump around between so many image hosts but stupid Flickr doesn't support GIF. :roll:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

What does it say about me, that even before getting to the final image, I was hearing the Meows to the tune of that commercial?

Nice job.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Very nice Atomic! If my computer wasn't down, I'd have finished mine by now...Great background, too!

And I'm with Lake Wrangler, I had the song going before the logo left the screen... :D :D
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Jabberwonky wrote:Very nice Atomic! If my computer wasn't down, I'd have finished mine by now...Great background, too!

And I'm with Lake Wrangler, I had the song going before the logo left the screen... :D :D
Not mine -- Boxilar via Wdot.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, I know it would be hard to change, since it was inked black to begin with, but Suzie's hair is reddish brown, according to images Paul has done in the past.
Isn't the character supposed to be Lily, not Suzie? she's um, not filled out enough to be Suzie... to me, since we are pretty sure that Katherine has black hair, AND she's been said to be Lily's daughter (yes, yes, she's only one of her six mom's, but...irrelevant) i would say that Lily probably has black hair as shown, with Suzie being the dirty-blond / auburn haired one...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, I know it would be hard to change, since it was inked black to begin with, but Suzie's hair is reddish brown, according to images Paul has done in the past.
Isn't the character supposed to be Lily, not Suzie? she's um, not filled out enough to be Suzie... to me, since we are pretty sure that Katherine has black hair, AND she's been said to be Lily's daughter (yes, yes, she's only one of her six mom's, but...irrelevant) i would say that Lily probably has black hair as shown, with Suzie being the dirty-blond / auburn haired one...
You're right. I didn't see them as dreadlocks, at first. And the glasses made me think of Suzie. Now that you mention it, I notice the shadow on the cheeks. That makes sense. I knew she wasn't as "filled out" as Paul's version of Suzie, but that could have been the artist's rendition.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:I knew she wasn't as "filled out" as Paul's version of Suzie, but that could have been the artist's rendition.
But, of course, I wouldn't have even had that thought, had I looked again at the two images from the previous page, where it's obvious that Suzie is, indeed, more "filled out". Chalk it up to not paying enough attention... :roll:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:But, of course, I wouldn't have even had that thought, had I looked again at the two images from the previous page, where it's obvious that Suzie is, indeed, more "filled out". Chalk it up to not paying enough attention... :roll:
Even worse: Boxilar clearly states below his inks only image that it is Lily...

REALLY not paying attention... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Very nice Atomic! If my computer wasn't down, I'd have finished mine by now...Great background, too!

Not mine -- Boxilar via Wdot.
Doh! My only excuse is there seems to be a bit of it going around...
(I'ma go sit in the confusion corner with lake_wrangler)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Nicely done, Shadow.

Sorry for the confusion. I know glasses are Suzi's trademark, but they fit Lily's outfit, so I used them on her. I thought about an Wild West Suzi, but from everthing we know, she wasn't un-living at this point in time. I've thought about doing these two in different periods in the 20th Century. They would have been bumping around together for the entire 100 year span.

Edit: Damn, I forgot to thank Wdot for the gorgeous color rendering, so, thank you, W!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:(I'ma go sit in the confusion corner with lake_wrangler)
Who knew? I thought only the comic and related forum, not the fanart subforum, had a trap door leading to the confusion corner...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Boxilar wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I know glasses are Suzi's trademark, but they fit Lily's outfit, so I used them on her.
Yes, they did go well with the outfit. And they were drawn in a very era-appropriate shape.

Even if it did lead t confusion... grumble grumble grumble grumble...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Who knew? I thought only the comic and related forum, not the fanart subforum, had a trap door leading to the confusion corner...

The Confusion Corner is a pan-dimensional space and therefore it is accessible from everywhere and nowhere. When confusion hits it just happens to be there or you do. (confusing isn't it????)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
The Confusion Corner is a pan-dimensional space and therefore it is accessible from everywhere and nowhere. When confusion hits it just happens to be there or you do. (confusing isn't it????)
Sounds like "Confusion Corner" is a misnomer. "Confusion Nexus" doesn't roll of the tongue as nicely, though.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!