Abney Effect and Color Mixing

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Abney Effect and Color Mixing

Post by Atomic »

Something to consider for your Fan Arting needs -- the Abney Effect! Specifically, fading a color (adding white) can cause a hue shift. Great article here.

Short version: Watch the blues and reds turn purple, and the greens turn yellow!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DinkyInky

Re: Abney Effect and Color Mixing

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:Something to consider for your Fan Arting needs -- the Abney Effect! Specifically, fading a color (adding white) can cause a hue shift. Great article here.

Short version: Watch the blues and reds turn purple, and the greens turn yellow!
Pretty shift effect.gif]
Yes, but it doesn't work in traditional mediums. For example, the works I do, the colours stay true. In photography, that effect happens with a less than 100% frequency. In digital art, it doesn't always happen that way(depending on which Photo editing software you use) either.

I prefer the hue shifts coming when I add different pigments and tones and neutrals, but I'm a traditional artist, so I'm funny that way. I have about the equal value of my current car in my Windsor Newton Oils and my son's Winsor Newton Tubed Watercolours...and that's not including the Kolinsky Sable brushes(collected over the years), and various brushes acquired for certain effects.

That said, I have a rather amazing picture that happened a while back going to the Detroit Zoo:Image

I took dozens of pictures with my camera that turned out that way, and my friend took pics with her Galaxy S III and the faery like quality of my photographs never manifested, though we had the exact same camera settings and ISO, etc. on.

Also, printed out, it looks like a painting versus the detailed photo here.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
NOTDilbert

Re: Abney Effect and Color Mixing

Post by NOTDilbert »

I had some photos turn out that way a while back. I forgot and left unexposed film in the camera as it went thru Xray at the airport; the subsequent photos looked like this.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville