First Introductory Thread

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Yamara

Re: First Introductory Thread

Post by Yamara »

Hullo, Chris Adams here, in New York.

I've scribbled my small share of comics and games and these days mainly assist my longtime co-conspirator Barbara Manui in saving the world. Honestly, she's much better at it than I am.

Archive.org's Wayback Machine insists I've been a fan of Wapsi since at least December 2005, but Barbara has slowly begun enjoying the archives only in the last few weeks. I think she's just about to encounter the GGs. Envy her, people.

While the tension between ancient monstrous wrongs and everyday Minnesota nice kept me interested in Wapsi, it was Paul's brilliant solution to time looping that first turned me into a jabbering pedant in the comments.* All that notwithstanding, I take full responsibilty for being a besotted fan.

My posts may be delayed in various threads, which considering that I am not entirely domesticated, may prove all to the best...

---
*Note that time loops had already turned many beloved characters into jabbering pedants. It's not like I shouldn't have seen it coming.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Hi all. Name's Donoho. Online. Offline. I like to keep things simple like that. I have no fear of net anonymity because If I can do/say something online that I can't do Offline, then there's something wrong with my offline world. I believe in being ourselves always. Nothing against Role Play... Just sayin. I Love a good story, strong characters (fictional & real), and boobs. How could I not Love Wapsi Square?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote:To answer an earlier post. Yes, this was newly created. I did it after purging fifty spambots out of the inactive users, and a number of others out of the 'zero post' group of users.
Boy, am I glad I started posting right after registering... :D

Then again, considering I registered in order to post, maybe I didn't have all that much to worry about, in that regard...

Anyway, my internet handle, wherever I go, is always a variation of the same (variations due only to various forums and sites' regulations, such as no underscore and whatnot): lake_wrangler
You may find me on the CRFH!!! forum, The Dreamland Chronicles' comments, the Girl Genius Yahoo group (though not much, lately) and this forum. I read plenty of other webcomics, but don't have time to participate in more forums. I already spend too much time online as it is...

Real name is Claude Doucet, I'm french Canadian. I currently work as a transit bus driver for the city of Montréal, Québec. In the past, I have worked in trucking (straightbody, not semis), as a tech support person (for a proprietary system, for Air Canada computers, and before that, for the Canon Printers helpline), and in the horse industry. (Do not even try to find a link between all those...)

I used to bicycle a lot, and have started again recently. I had gained a lot of weight, which made it impossible to bike like I wanted, but I have now lost 164lbs in the last 1¾ year (with another 40lbs to go). I am planning a lot of self-supported long-distance biking trips (i.e. camping along the way, carrying my luggage on my bike) for the future, including riding from Québec City to Toronto, in two weeks.

One thing that attracted me to this forum (and earlier on, to the comic's comments) was the puns. I do not claim to be a genius, or particularly sharp-witted, but I do enjoy a good pun, and my friends all suffer for it... it is a well-known fact that people have to be careful what they say around me, as I can often manage to twist their words around, much to their discomfiture, and this both in English (my second language) and French (my mother tongue). I also speak (and read/write) Haitian creole, but cannot pun in that language, as of yet.
Claude Doucet, lake (dot) wrangler (at) gmail (dot) com
Si Dieu est ton co-pilote, tu es dans le mauvais siège!!!!
If God is your co-pilot, you're in the wrong seat!!!
Si Bondye se kopilòt ou, ou pa nan bon chèz!!!
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Hi, All.
One of many Davids in the Forum. I live in Oregon, in the Portland area. 63 years of experience this time around. I found Wapsi through The Devil's Panties in December 2011 and have been an addict ever since. I hate Fridays 'cause that means I don't get a fix until Monday! Withdrawal is terrible! I have several favorite Wapsi characters, Phix, Tina, and Bud are on top. I would love to know them all.
I think Wapsi Square is easily the best web comic around, and one of the most thought-out stories I have ever read. The characters are very belivable and easy to identify with. Excellent artwork, I love the whole thing!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Rhonda here - longtime fan of webcomics, and Wapsi Square in particular. I've been a Wapsi Girl, and right now I'm getting ready for the next school year - I'm a stay at home mom, hoping to have finished my music education degree in 2 more years. Feel free to let me know if there's anything amiss in the forums, I do my best to tidy up after you guys :lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(tacklehugs PyP) RHONDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlicioussss! :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Whoops, missed this forum and went straight back to commenting.

Same name as the comment section.

Cheers!
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
coldethyl

Post by coldethyl »

hi... i'm a real person and i sometimes post but mostly not.. my nick was stolen from an alice cooper lyric... :)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave11 wrote:Whoops, missed this forum and went straight back to commenting.
Don't worry about it. I put this together for introductions, and for 'lurkers' to have a place to say something, then go back to lurking, without having to jump into a discussion.

Mind you, I'm enjoying reading the intros!

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I can't remember how long I have been reading Wapsi. I think it was some time in 2004, but I'm not sure. I know I eventually went back to do an archive crawl to try and get the back story together and make some sense of the stuff I was reading. I know it was before I started doing my blog because Wapsi was one of the first links I put up on it.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I'm not a bot. Just a veteran of the type mines and editing services camps of the rapidly evaporating North American publishing industry.

Registered to show support for Pablo and the forum. Never posted much, but have been reading the comments almost daily for a long time. Probably first came to Wapsi from banners at Brad Guigar's site in the Blank Label era.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Cool - so you can set, clamp, ink, and use a hand roller to test type?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Bookworm wrote:Cool - so you can set, clamp, ink, and use a hand roller to test type?
Nah, that letterpress stuff took real skill. I keyed galleys for offset printing, first on obsolete IBM variable-space typewriters, later on obsolete photocomp equipment, then on PCs. Now they run a bunch of conversion scripts on the raw manuscript files and turn them over to copy editors. I clean up after the copy editors and handle production editing for the customer.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hello all -
Jabberwonky here, was missing for nine months due to the perfect storm of ingnorance, incompetence and inconvenience. Just finished catching up from mid-December and I'm sitting here agog. (Trust me I don't use the word 'agog' lightly, dropping into conversations to seem more sophisticated)
I'm a contractor working in Iraq, and don't really have any hobbies or interests, there's just not much here outside of work. But I do color Paul's strips from time to time. In the absence of Wapsi, I started writing, just to practice writing, mind you, and of course set it in the Wapsi universe. The time spent on that, and with photoshop, has given me the hope that if I buckle down on it, I may learn to draw before I die.
It's good to see some of the names I was familiar with back in the comments section days and look forward to getting into the discussion of the strip again.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:Hello all -
Jabberwonky here, was missing for nine months due to the perfect storm of ingnorance, incompetence and inconvenience. Just finished catching up from mid-December and I'm sitting here agog. (Trust me I don't use the word 'agog' lightly, dropping into conversations to seem more sophisticated)
I'm a contractor working in Iraq, and don't really have any hobbies or interests, there's just not much here outside of work. But I do color Paul's strips from time to time. In the absence of Wapsi, I started writing, just to practice writing, mind you, and of course set it in the Wapsi universe. The time spent on that, and with photoshop, has given me the hope that if I buckle down on it, I may learn to draw before I die.
It's good to see some of the names I was familiar with back in the comments section days and look forward to getting into the discussion of the strip again.
I thought you were MIA for a while. Welcome back and maybe one day you will feel like sharing your stories.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Casey

Post by Casey »

I guess I should have posted on this thread earlier (I didn't notice it). I'm Casey. I've been reading Wapsi for about 16 months now. I'm from Seattle, and I think I owe everything I own to the pun jar.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I thought you were MIA for a while. Welcome back and maybe one day you will feel like sharing your stories.[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome, it already feels like stepping through the door to somewhere familiar. I'm going to have to have access to some top shelf tequila before I share my stories. They not only are a deep homage (sounds better than plagarism) to Paul's work, but they have become a sort of therapy. I've learned a lot about myself through the writing and some of it I'd want to edit to keep my deep seated disturbances to myself.

That and they're not really good...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Jabberwonky wrote:Thank you for the welcome, it already feels like stepping through the door to somewhere familiar. I'm going to have to have access to some top shelf tequila before I share my stories. They not only are a deep homage (sounds better than plagarism) to Paul's work, but they have become a sort of therapy. I've learned a lot about myself through the writing and some of it I'd want to edit to keep my deep seated disturbances to myself.

That and they're not really good...
The strength of a story, how "good" it is, is in the eye of the beholder. For me, if the more glaring grammar/spelling issues are dealt with (say, by a standard spell checker and a single high-school graduate beta reader), the content is more important than the presentation.

Example: J.R.R. Tolkien and R.A. Heinlein. Both tell wonderful stories. But I often describe Heinlein as "A wonderful storyteller, but a lousy author."

Trust me, as someone who's been working off and on to write an original work for the last two decades, I can say that the important part is to have the good story idea.

Oh, and welcome back.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Julie

Post by Julie »

Typeminer wrote:I'm not a bot. Just a veteran of the type mines and editing services camps of the rapidly evaporating North American publishing industry.

Registered to show support for Pablo and the forum. Never posted much, but have been reading the comments almost daily for a long time. Probably first came to Wapsi from banners at Brad Guigar's site in the Blank Label era.
Typeminer wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Cool - so you can set, clamp, ink, and use a hand roller to test type?
Nah, that letterpress stuff took real skill. I keyed galleys for offset printing, first on obsolete IBM variable-space typewriters, later on obsolete photocomp equipment, then on PCs. Now they run a bunch of conversion scripts on the raw manuscript files and turn them over to copy editors. I clean up after the copy editors and handle production editing for the customer.
Typeminer, I want to hug you just for how awesome I think your job is. :) I'm a hardcore bibliophile with aspirations of being a writer (recently on hiatus due to life going insane)...being in the presence of books makes me giddy in ways that aren't normal, and being in the presence of old books requires that I be kept on a leash without any access to money. :oops:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

A few strips late, but here's my intro:
Greetings, ladies and you others, I am kingklash. I am a Native American of Choctaw, Arapaho, Kiowa, and Comanche heritage. I am also related to the actual Wahnee family, and consider Shelly my distant, if fictional, cousin. I live in Southwest Oklahoma, and work in an art gallery specializing in Native American arts and crafts. I've been reading Wapsi for a few years, from around the time things started to go a bit supernatural. One of my mutant powers is the ability to absorb information rapidly in large chunks, with the downside that I relay it back the same way. Not Photographic Memory, more like a lightning bolt in a curio shop. The path of least resistance will connect a few disparate items. While not useful for hard research, it will help you win trivia contests, especially if it involves television before the 21st century.