First Introductory Thread

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: First Introductory Thread

Post by AmriloJim »

Greetings from Amarillo, the Yellow Rose of Texas!

I'm Jim, and I host a forum called the ComfyCouchOfConfusion v.2. A number of this board's users have been spotted there (right, The Old Wolf?), and I enjoy the repartee of my members. In fact, a current comment by FairportFan is what prompted me to drop in here tonight.

CCoCv2 has active discussion topics for Pibgorn, 9 Chickweed Lane, Girl Genius and Lost Side of Suburbia, as well as more casual topics for other comics, Wapsi included.

So, if you're out slumming through the vast expanse of the WWWeb (or is that half-vast?), drop in and say "Hi".
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

*embarrassed giggle*

Whups. Missed it by that much.

DinkyInky here. Dinky, cause I'm short, Inky, because I play Drow/Dark Elves in various tabletop and online RPG.
Single Mom(for now) to a very spirited seven year old who keeps me grounded. I'm an artist; watercolours, oils, silversmithing, chain mail...whatever keeps me from being bored between the times I chase my wee one everywhere!

Been a fan of Wapsi Square since the talented artist/photographer was on one of the reeeeally old InkTank forums(one of the old EZboards I think).
The lineart hooked me(I'm sooooo jealous at how easy he makes this look!), and the storyline is what keeps me coming back here with my cup of morning brew(Coffee, you nerds!).

I appreciate the way the artist depicts women(realistically, with all sizes, and body type/image issues), and also promotes proper fittings. After my wee one was born, I had first-hand experience at how hard it was to deal with a large chest, and the segments he had on one of the old forums helped me tremendously with finding a way to save my spine(and my sanity!). Thanks Paul!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:*embarrassed giggle*

Whups. Missed it by that much.

DinkyInky here. Dinky, cause I'm short, Inky, because I play Drow/Dark Elves in various tabletop and online RPG.
Single Mom(for now) to a very spirited seven year old who keeps me grounded. I'm an artist; watercolours, oils, silversmithing, chain mail...whatever keeps me from being bored between the times I chase my wee one everywhere!

Been a fan of Wapsi Square since the talented artist/photographer was on one of the reeeeally old InkTank forums(one of the old EZboards I think).
The lineart hooked me(I'm sooooo jealous at how easy he makes this look!), and the storyline is what keeps me coming back here with my cup of morning brew(Coffee, you nerds!).

I appreciate the way the artist depicts women(realistically, with all sizes, and body type/image issues), and also promotes proper fittings. After my wee one was born, I had first-hand experience at how hard it was to deal with a large chest, and the segments he had on one of the old forums helped me tremendously with finding a way to save my spine(and my sanity!). Thanks Paul!
Between what you have said about yourself here and mentioned in other threads about your past, I think that you should become part of the Wapsi Girl Project.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

Hi Paul I'm back. Took me a while to find the place. I'd wondered what happened to the Forums on the WS page, now I know.
moueska

Post by moueska »

I held off on joining the forums for a while after the abandonment of the old one, and then the collapse of the comments-on-every-page.

Hello, everyone! You probably don't remember me, but I'm back!

~
Moueska / AquaRoseWater
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Left for a month - back now. Gaaah! The number of things to read! *headasplode*
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave11 wrote:Left for a month - back now. Gaaah! The number of things to read! *headasplode*
So for a month Dave wasn't here, man.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

*snerk* Nice, shadow. Very nice. :D
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Danzier

Post by Danzier »

Geez, a girl gets her internet back and Wapsi's gone comment-free! Took me forever to find you. Er, about ten minutes. Meanwhile, it took me all of 20 minutes to read all the comics since the Killer Squirrel (when my internet went down). That's a new record, as I recall.

Hi all.
:D
Knowing you'll get a second chance does not justify purposely screwing up the first one. --Me
Dave

Post by Dave »

Danzier wrote:Geez, a girl gets her internet back and Wapsi's gone comment-free! Took me forever to find you. Er, about ten minutes. Meanwhile, it took me all of 20 minutes to read all the comics since the Killer Squirrel (when my internet went down). That's a new record, as I recall.

Hi all.
Hey, welcome back!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Danzier wrote:Geez, a girl gets her internet back and Wapsi's gone comment-free! Took me forever to find you. Er, about ten minutes. Meanwhile, it took me all of 20 minutes to read all the comics since the Killer Squirrel (when my internet went down). That's a new record, as I recall.

Hi all.
Hi! Welcome home!

It took 20 minutes--but did you get all the implications straight????
Danzier

Post by Danzier »

bmonk wrote:

Hi all.
Hi! Welcome home!

It took 20 minutes--but did you get all the implications straight????

...Probably not. o.0 I haven't done the forum read-through yet. :geek:
Knowing you'll get a second chance does not justify purposely screwing up the first one. --Me
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Well I suppose I should say first off that I am not a bot... Or am I?

Secondly, this is my first forum I have joined that is devoted to a particular comic (shows you how much I'm enoying the comic.)

I have posted on various forums throughout the years under differing names, a couple still active, just not as much. (Had to cut myself off beccause I posted... A lot.)

I found Wapsi a few months ago via the now disabled Bearfood site run by The Oatmeal and was instantly hooked. And of course feel really young since most people I have seen have been reading the comic for years.

Of course, now it is time to do some back tracking because there is some context I am missing, proabably stuff that was said or in the background I didn't pay attention to at first.

I'll try not to lurk too much. This looks like a decent enough community to spend some time in on occasion.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Kingmaker wrote:Well I suppose I should say first off that I am not a bot... Or am I?

Secondly, this is my first forum I have joined that is devoted to a particular comic (shows you how much I'm enoying the comic.)

I have posted on various forums throughout the years under differing names, a couple still active, just not as much. (Had to cut myself off beccause I posted... A lot.)

I found Wapsi a few months ago via the now disabled Bearfood site run by The Oatmeal and was instantly hooked. And of course feel really young since most people I have seen have been reading the comic for years.

Of course, now it is time to do some back tracking because there is some context I am missing, proabably stuff that was said or in the background I didn't pay attention to at first.

I'll try not to lurk too much. This looks like a decent enough community to spend some time in on occasion.
Oh you'll definitely want to do a full archive crawl. :) There are things that have been a-brewin' since the very early days of the comic, and goodness knows that those of us living in the forums reference the old stuff a lot. :D Welcome to the Crazy House though!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Julie wrote: Oh you'll definitely want to do a full archive crawl. :) There are things that have been a-brewin' since the very early days of the comic, and goodness knows that those of us living in the forums reference the old stuff a lot. :D Welcome to the Crazy House though!
I'll have to get started. Thank you Julie.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Welcome Kingmaker! Enjoy your archive crawl, just be sure you have a neck brace handy for whipsaw plot twists.

You have been warned!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Atomic wrote:Welcome Kingmaker! Enjoy your archive crawl, just be sure you have a neck brace handy for whipsaw plot twists.

You have been warned!

What's a whipsaw plot twist?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Kingmaker wrote:
Atomic wrote:Welcome Kingmaker! Enjoy your archive crawl, just be sure you have a neck brace handy for whipsaw plot twists.
You have been warned!
What's a whipsaw plot twist?
Also known as a "bootlegger turn". It's the intellectual and emotional equivalent of driving along a highway at 80 miles an hour, only to find that with no warning at all the road turns 90 degrees to the left and heads straight up a hillside and then down into a gully. You can drive it, certainly, but you'll get jolted around quite a bit. And, oh, by the way, as you come around the blind curve on that hillside you're going to find a dragon staring at you and drooling.

Most of us have been through several episodes of this sort of "whiplash", while reading the strip or diving through the archives.

Pablo (Paul Taylor) has a solid reputation for being able to surprise us, his readers. Sometimes it's with a plot twist... a new character, or a surprising revelation that all is not how we thought it was. Very frequently, we find that the clues for such plot twists were actually revealed weeks or months or years before, sometimes in quite subtle ways. Paul is very good indeed at "laying the groundwork" for future surprises, with something as subtle as a Shwoosh! There's a literary tradition known as Chekhov's Gun (in a Chekhov play, if a gun is seen on stage you can figure it will be used at some point) and Paul is a master of the technique.

As plot twists go... well, Shelly has been focal in several of them. The "visit to a sand-bar" sequence during the first few months of 2011 is one such... let's just say that when you've read your way through to May 13th (no peeking now!) you're likely to find yourself feeling very rattled, and then (shortly thereafter) rather amazed.

Sometimes the whipsawings are on an emotional level... having the strip go from a light, humorous mode to deadly serious (sometimes heart-wrenchingly so) in an instant. Monica and Brandi had a very interesting conversation in October of last year (again - for your own enjoyment, don't peek!), in which we learn more about Brandi's character and her history... and I know from the (now-unavailable) comments discussion that week that a lot of us were shaken and in tears at what we learned.

Wapsi Square is a rich, challenging strip - it takes a bit of work to follow along (and this forum and its predecessors have been invaluable in helping me figure out what the heck has been going on!) and it's definitely worth the effort!

So - welcome, and enjoy!
MsCthuluhead

Post by MsCthuluhead »

Hello! I came across Wapsi Square a while ago and have always enjoyed reading the comments, when the comments got moved over to this forum I finally decided to follow. I am the slave of three Ferrety Overlords who mildly tolerate my existence for an exchange of treats and water. I really love the community I read about when I come here and would like to join it.... Yeppers, that what I got.
bookfanatic

Post by bookfanatic »

hi i'm bookfanatic I came across this webcomic by a friends recommendation and I haven't stopped reading since.