First Introductory Thread

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: First Introductory Thread

Post by Dave »

rootwalla wrote: 1. Is there, or will there be, any effort made to "rescue" the old comments? (there were some epic moments there as well)
2. Slightly related to the previous question. Has anyone been keeping track of the size (and volume) of "THE JAR!" ?
Bookworm (knowledgeable admin) says he thinks it would be possible to restore the old comments in "closed" mode (i.e. read-only) and said he'll investigate as time permits. Paul has given his blessing to the idea if it is in fact possible (yay!). So, there is hope!

The Pun Jar? It's like the Room of Necessity... it is as big as it needs to be.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Julie wrote: WHAT????!!! You're leaving Austin??? I didn't know people ever did that! :) I'm sure our great state will miss you and your family. Enjoy mountain life!
Yes, 'tis true, and you are right, usually it is more people coming than going, and I surely do appreciate the sentiment...

...but it's effing FRANCE!! :D
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

txmystic wrote:
Julie wrote: WHAT????!!! You're leaving Austin??? I didn't know people ever did that! :) I'm sure our great state will miss you and your family. Enjoy mountain life!
Yes, 'tis true, and you are right, usually it is more people coming than going, and I surely do appreciate the sentiment...

...but it's effing FRANCE!! :D
I am sure the great state of Texas will be a sadder place without you, but I hope you enjoy living the ExPat life. Enjoy the mountains and all the sites surrounding you. B.T.W., when you are visiting the Louvre (hope I didn't misspell it), see if you can get them to take some of Pauls art into their collection (just saying :mrgreen: )
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Hi, folks; just joined this forum, after reading for several years. I use this same handle at another webcomic forum (where I'm an admin) that some of you may also read, of which more later. Recently retired scientific type, with more free time to get involved in things like this than I used to have (and less idiotic bureaucracy to do, which is also good). Much too poor an artist to have a webcomic myself, but I've sorta specialized in helping with webcomic wikis, as I fancy myself both a good writer and skilled at organizing information. Any role for that here? The Wapsi wiki seems rather ... sparse.

Avatar, signature, etc., under construction. I'll be around.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Graybeard wrote:... but I've sorta specialized in helping with webcomic wikis, as I fancy myself both a good writer and skilled at organizing information. Any role for that here? The Wapsi wiki seems rather ... sparse.
My understanding is that the Wapsi wiki is largely the work of a small number of rather overworked contributors, and I imagine that they will greet your offer with paens of joy and perhaps some suggestions as to where you might start.

I believe that a lot of the information that has come to light in Wapsi over the past year or so, has yet to be reflected in the wiki. For example, the wiki makes no mention of the fact that :arrow: :mrgreen: :idea: is :ugeek: and this really is something that new readers ought to know. :)
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Dave11 wrote:[quote="Julie]2. The size and volume of the Pun Jar is beyond human comprehension. It is folly to attempt to "keep track" of it...your brain may well be the next thing sucked in to satiate its overwhelming hunger. :P
*points at signature*

Julie, I'm just wondering whether the Pun Jar will achieve sentience or turn into a black hole. Either one would be a "Singularity" :lol:[/quote][/quote]

First one, then the other? :))

And Julie, thanks for the info.
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Julie

Post by Julie »

rootwalla wrote:
Dave11 wrote:[quote="Julie]2. The size and volume of the Pun Jar is beyond human comprehension. It is folly to attempt to "keep track" of it...your brain may well be the next thing sucked in to satiate its overwhelming hunger. :P
*points at signature*

Julie, I'm just wondering whether the Pun Jar will achieve sentience or turn into a black hole. Either one would be a "Singularity" :lol:
[/quote]

First one, then the other? :))

And Julie, thanks for the info.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
You're welcome...and thank you for reaffirming that my eyesight isn't too terrible yet. I could read your signature without leaning towards the monitor. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Don't tempt me to add the latin one ;)

(Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis popinquus ades.
If you can read this bumper sticker, you are both very well educated and much too close.)
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Julie

Post by Julie »

rootwalla wrote:Don't tempt me to add the latin one ;)

(Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis popinquus ades.
If you can read this bumper sticker, you are both very well educated and much too close.)
Well...I never learned Latin, so you can add it and I'll just respond (mentally) with, "Hey look! Latin!" :P
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:

Well...I never learned Latin, so you can add it and I'll just respond (mentally) with, "Hey look! Latin!" :P
"Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina"

Roughly translated (not by me) "Everything sounds better in Latin"

Words to live by...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Huehueteotl

Post by Huehueteotl »

And another longtime lurker drags in.

I'm Sam, Texan, middle-aged Curmudgeon, Wapsi fan since before the Blank Label days. I don't have the eyes to do needlework any more, I don't have the leg joints or the motivation to square dance, so I'm usually found with a book (we have 2,400 in the house) or a computer. Wapsi is one of my very favorites out of the thirty webcomics I keep up with.
"It's just this little chromium switch, here . . ."
Julie

Post by Julie »

Huehueteotl wrote:...so I'm usually found with a book (we have 2,400 in the house)...
Jealous! One of the only "dreams" I've held onto since childhood is that one day I'll have a house with a true library (floor to ceiling shelves...multi-level...with those ladders that move along the shelves). :)
"Just open your eyes
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:

"Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina"

Roughly translated (not by me) "Everything sounds better in Latin"

Words to live by...
I always thought that went, "Everything tastes better in French."

I mean, who would eat snails??? But escargo? Bring more!
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

bmonk wrote: I always thought that went, "Everything tastes better in French."

Culinary reasons were a major part of our decision to relocate to France...that and the fact that the 1-euro espresso I get out of the machine at Le Gare is better than the finest cup I can get anywhere in the states. It's true.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

txmystic wrote:
bmonk wrote: I always thought that went, "Everything tastes better in French."

Culinary reasons were a major part of our decision to relocate to France...that and the fact that the 1-euro espresso I get out of the machine at Le Gare is better than the finest cup I can get anywhere in the states. It's true.
Well congratulations on being able to make a move that makes you happy.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
GammaGirl

Post by GammaGirl »

Hello. I am an Australian writer of YA and adult Fantasy & Science Fiction. I have been following Wapsi Square for years, because I am drawn to the Magic Realism of the characters and settings.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

GammaGirl wrote:Hello. I am an Australian writer of YA and adult Fantasy & Science Fiction. I have been following Wapsi Square for years, because I am drawn to the Magic Realism of the characters and settings.
It is nice to have another seasoned pro author in our midst. This can only improve the conversation and playfulness of the forums. (Yes I know it is not my place to make statements like this, but there you are ;) )
By the way, have you considered joining the Wapsi Girl Project?
foilgirl82

Post by foilgirl82 »

Hi!

Longtime reader/lurker here. I live in Madison, WI, and have a husband and a kid. I'm a disability analyst, and more like Phix than I would like (minus the murderous rage and cannibalism, of course). The only webcomics I read regularly are this one and Girls with Slingshots. I've been reading this comic since around the time my son was born in 2007. It helped me through some vicious postpartum depression.

I'm enjoying all the speculation here, and look forward to reading more. :)
Peterotooled

Post by Peterotooled »

Hi Folks, This is Peterotooled. I've been reading for about three years now.

I'm 68, formerly a chef for 40 years here in Ottawa, Ontario, the capitol of Canada. I have worked as a banquet chef. a fry cook, a caterer and a main line cook at a five star restaurant in Philadelphia, where I was born. I moved here in 1971 from New York City where I worked for the Joshua Light Show at the Fillmore East for 6 years. For those not familiar with those names, The Fillmore East was the premier rock venue on the east coast from 1966 until it closed in 1971. The Joshua Light Show was a special effects performance group. We worked at the Fillmore and at many other venues, including the Expo 67 site and at the Woodstock Music Festival. If you Google those names, you are in for a treat. Check out the images for The Joshua Light Show.

I have also been an actor since being cast in a small role in Midnight Cowboy with Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight in 1967. The light show also performed with credit in that movie. I am essentially a comic actor, although I have done much drama as well. I have done several hundred stage productions, having starred in several Neil Simon plays. done Bottom in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, and others too numerous to mention. I also do drama Including Ibsen, Eugene O'Neill and Shakespeare. I sing, play guitar and write songs, mostly blues.

I have just returned to life. I got a new girlfriend in late January and she didn't like me being on the machine so much. So I disconnected it and just paid attention to her.

As I said, I'm 68. The girl who hated the computer was 30, Canadian, 5'4" and absolutely gorgeous. She wasn't nice, though. We parted at the end of June after she beat the royal crap out of me. She gave me a gigantic black eye & a huge scar on my temple by punching me on the same spot on my left forehead about 40 times. Then she pulled a knife on me. As a retired chef, I keep my knives sharp. If I hadn't stopped her, I wouldn't be writing this now.

She is in jail now awaiting trial. It's a pretty long story, but I don't hate her. I've even forgiven her. She is very fucked up, (diddled by an uncle for 5 years starting at 4, raped by her mother's boyfriend at 9, not believed when she reported it. She started running away from home when she was 14, got into the Canadian legal system, and has never gotten out. She is completely institutionalized and prefers being in jail. Every time she gets out she does something to get back in. When she is out, she is either high on crack, tripped out on opiates, or both.

Sorry, I guess the truth is that I had caught a severe case of "Save The World" Syndrome. I also fell completely and thoroughly in love with her in the time it took her to cross the street at the end of my block at three o'clock in the morning on the coldest day in Ottawa last winter. It was -35C. She was wearing high-heeled knee-high black boots, thin red slashed cotton skin-tight pants, and a see-through black lace blouse under a thin black sweater. I will leave it to your imagination to discover what she was doing out there so late.

There is a whole lot more to the story. You don't need to hear it. She was the first love affair I had since I left my last girlfriend about 20 years ago.
My current GF is Somalian, 38, 5'8" and gorgeous. I met her because she came to visit me after Heidi (great name, huh?) sent her to see me with an apology. I accepted the apology and hoped she would return after she reported back to Heidi. She did and the rest is His story. The other stuff was Herstory.

That's enough to introduce me to all of you.
oskila

Post by oskila »

Hi! I've been reading the comic since '10 or possibly '09 but never paid much attention to the forum until last week or so.

I'm a fuzzy broad-spectrum geek of 30 , and not a spam bot