First Introductory Thread

Once you've registered your login, please put a post here. This will help us confirm real users vs spambots, and gives everyone a chance to say hello.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Re: First Introductory Thread

Post by Atomic »

Welcome aboard folks! Happy archive crawling!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TheOKTVSet

Post by TheOKTVSet »

I suppose I bite the bullet and realize that the old bulletin style postings aren't coming back. After over a decade of reading the comic, I embrace the message-board.

Howdy again, y'all!
You come all this way out saying squat and now you're trying to tell me that a '56 Chevy could beat a '48 Buick in a dead quarter mile? I liked you better when you weren't saying squat kid. Go to bed.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Dave wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:
Atomic wrote:Welcome Kingmaker! Enjoy your archive crawl, just be sure you have a neck brace handy for whipsaw plot twists.
You have been warned!
What's a whipsaw plot twist?
Also known as a "bootlegger turn". It's the intellectual and emotional equivalent of driving along a highway at 80 miles an hour, only to find that with no warning at all the road turns 90 degrees to the left and heads straight up a hillside and then down into a gully. You can drive it, certainly, but you'll get jolted around quite a bit. And, oh, by the way, as you come around the blind curve on that hillside you're going to find a dragon staring at you and drooling.

Most of us have been through several episodes of this sort of "whiplash", while reading the strip or diving through the archives.

Pablo (Paul Taylor) has a solid reputation for being able to surprise us, his readers. Sometimes it's with a plot twist... a new character, or a surprising revelation that all is not how we thought it was. Very frequently, we find that the clues for such plot twists were actually revealed weeks or months or years before, sometimes in quite subtle ways. Paul is very good indeed at "laying the groundwork" for future surprises, with something as subtle as a Shwoosh! There's a literary tradition known as Chekhov's Gun (in a Chekhov play, if a gun is seen on stage you can figure it will be used at some point) and Paul is a master of the technique.

As plot twists go... well, Shelly has been focal in several of them. The "visit to a sand-bar" sequence during the first few months of 2011 is one such... let's just say that when you've read your way through to May 13th (no peeking now!) you're likely to find yourself feeling very rattled, and then (shortly thereafter) rather amazed.

Sometimes the whipsawings are on an emotional level... having the strip go from a light, humorous mode to deadly serious (sometimes heart-wrenchingly so) in an instant. Monica and Brandi had a very interesting conversation in October of last year (again - for your own enjoyment, don't peek!), in which we learn more about Brandi's character and her history... and I know from the (now-unavailable) comments discussion that week that a lot of us were shaken and in tears at what we learned.

Wapsi Square is a rich, challenging strip - it takes a bit of work to follow along (and this forum and its predecessors have been invaluable in helping me figure out what the heck has been going on!) and it's definitely worth the effort!

So - welcome, and enjoy!

Dave,

Thank you for the explanation and the welcome. I am seeing some of these Whipsaw twists and they are sudden and unexpected. All I can generlay say is WOW!

Now I wonder, will it be a problem if I open a discussion on an older strip in the discussion forum since I'm so far behind everyone else? Should I ask a mod?
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Kingmaker wrote: Dave,

Thank you for the explanation and the welcome. I am seeing some of these Whipsaw twists and they are sudden and unexpected. All I can generlay say is WOW!

Now I wonder, will it be a problem if I open a discussion on an older strip in the discussion forum since I'm so far behind everyone else? Should I ask a mod?
I would think that as long as you follow the proper Date/Name convention as the usual topics it should be fine to bring up an older strip that has not been used on the forum before.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Mark N wrote:
Kingmaker wrote: Now I wonder, will it be a problem if I open a discussion on an older strip in the discussion forum since I'm so far behind everyone else? Should I ask a mod?
I would think that as long as you follow the proper Date/Name convention as the usual topics it should be fine to bring up an older strip that has not been used on the forum before.
THen I shall do so (not for every single one, but for those I need some help explaining or something...)
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:
Kingmaker wrote: Dave,

I would agree, this seems to be quite reasonable. Just do a search first to see if somebody has already created a thread for that day's strip, or (perhaps) for a nearby day that's in the same part of the story line... if so, it'd probably be best to post a comment onto that thread rather than starting a new one.

It's a shame that the old Comments section is entirely off-line - there were a lot of very interesting discussions over the past few years that might answer some of your questions. There's some hope that the Comments might be resurrected in read-only form, but it hasn't happened yet. Since that's the case, opening a new thread here in the forum is probably your best bet.
Theodemus

Post by Theodemus »

Whoops. I just discovered that as a new registree I'm supposed to demonstrate my non-spambot-ishness by introducing myself here. ;)

Well, can do. I'm from Germany, male, 38 years old by now, and my spare time revolves around an ancient asian board game (Go), reading a lot (mostly english language fantasy literature, but absolutely not constricted to that), archery (recurve) and online gaming (World of Warcraft).

I have been reading Wapsi Square a few years back, but somehow lost it from view for a time. Now that I've rediscovered it, I have been catching up to date and intend to stay around again. :)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Theodemus wrote:Whoops. I just discovered that as a new registree I'm supposed to demonstrate my non-spambot-ishness by introducing myself here. ;)

Well, can do. I'm from Germany, male, 38 years old by now, and my spare time revolves around an ancient asian board game (Go), reading a lot (mostly english language fantasy literature, but absolutely not constricted to that), archery (recurve) and online gaming (World of Warcraft).

I have been reading Wapsi Square a few years back, but somehow lost it from view for a time. Now that I've rediscovered it, I have been catching up to date and intend to stay around again. :)
Welcome to the insanity...erm...I mean party! :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Spoiler alert: She means "insanity." ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

MerchManDan wrote:Spoiler alert: She means "insanity." ;)
Insanity? This is WAAAAAPSIIII!

Ok, I guess I owe the pun jar now?

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Kingmaker wrote:

In the Wapsiverse, the pun jar owns you!
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Kingmaker wrote:

Nah, wasn't a pun, really. The SCP tomatoes didn't even twitch.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
MartinSStoller

Post by MartinSStoller »

Hey all!

I've been a Wapsi Square fan for a while now, but finally decided I had a reason to register on the forum - started drawing again after decades of not touching a pencil, and I did a fan piece on "Her Thither", i.e. Monica having "teething trouble" - I just found her to be SO CUTE like that!

I must most def agree with Tsillah on that one!

Post of my fan art can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=660#p11225

More info about me either at my deviant or at http://martinstoller.ca in case you are nosy :)
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Hello everyone, forgot to leave my introductory post here, better late than never I suppose. I have followed Wapsi Square since about 2002. I never posted on the old boards, I do remember some fans who were more interested in the talk than the comic itself. I like the forum as it is today, and the website looks great. I used to play Old Western PC games and chose the name RunningBull. While I don't play those games anymore, I still like the old moniker. It has taken me 10 years, but I am finally starting to actually participate in posting. I look forward to every strip. I work second shift for an aerospace company, and always end my day with Monica and company!!!

I am a wapsiholic!

:D
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Welcome to a fellow 'Boot Hill'er...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Hi everyone, I'm Dilynrae... you can call me Dily, all my friends do. I came across Wapsi Square recently when someone posted a piccie of Monica with the text ERMAGERD!!! BERBS!!! I have been watching a few web comics and checked it out and spent every waking moment over the next two and a half days reading the strip from the beginning to the end... I was floored! I love the way the characters and the art itself has a progression... it just keeps getting better and better. I'm kinda fond of Tina... I don't know why, she is just my favorite character for some reason. Her smile and happy go lucky attitude just strikes a chord with me. Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone!

Dily
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

DilyV wrote: ... spent every waking moment over the next two and a half days reading the strip from the beginning to the end... I was floored! I love the way the characters and the art itself has a progression... it just keeps getting better and better.
Dily
Intoxicating isn't it? Common reaction when someone finally catches on to what's going on around here. We go back to the beginning and read for hours or days. I try to describe this strip in a couple of sentences and always fail. Enjoy the ride, and welcome aboard.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

RunningBull wrote: I try to describe this strip in a couple of sentences and always fail. Enjoy the ride, and welcome aboard.
Busty, neurotic Latina Minneapolis museum curator finds herself both pawn to and guide for mythic beings of legend, saving the world and each other - repeatedly!

From here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
sq_rigger

Post by sq_rigger »

Somehow I completely missed the fact that I was supposed to write an introduction after registering, so here is my belated introduction. Not that I post much, mostly just lurk.

Real name is Ken, I go by sq_rigger because I like the old-time square-rigged sailing ships. Modern fore-and-aft rigs are more efficient, but the look of those massive pyramids of sail on the square-riggers is impressive.

I've been reading Wapsi for 7 or 8 years, but went back and covered the archives early on. I love how Paul keeps throwing curves at us, including the mythical characters. I also like how thoroughly the reader base participates via the forum and the comments.

That's about it for now.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Welcome sq_rigger!

Just remember the pun jar is your friend, and please rinse out the mugs after usage in the confusion corner.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir